LegacyGT.com

05 LGT Wagon---HOOD LOUVERS--Lots Of Pictures

SGT Daddy

Why louvers when there is already a scoop? Our cars don't have issues with a hot engine bay.

Where are the under-tray loyalists to argue pressure differentials vs intercooler efficiency?

If you want lovers then so be it. I'm not hating, just not sure of the logic behind the install.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder if you could make a hood out of these things

Something like this?

http://www.baremetalrods.com/images/projects/louver_hoods/hoods_52_chevy/louver%20hoods%20003.jpg

^^ while you're at it, add it to the back bumper to get rid of the backed up air that "gets caught in the bumper". I wonder if you were to replace the back window on the wagon with this if it would increase your gas mileage while driving around with the sunroof open??

WOW, the level of hating is amazing.

Very much so ... the ruthlessness is almost on par with high school teenagers ... smh.

good god guys.....if we aren't leg humping some new girl who joins the forum we are slamming unusual mods someone has done. :lol:

Trolling is a way of life for some i guess.

I think the idea is valid. Properly done hood vents have been proven (in racing circles) to be beneficial in lowering underhood temperatures by allowing the incoming air that passes through and is heated by the radiator to escape the engine bay easier. For me, the problem here is the execution. The riveted on look just doesn't do it for me. Also, they should probably be farther forward as usually they should be placed at a low-pressure area of the hood (usually further forward) versus closer to a higher pressure area of the hood (closer to the cowl/windshield). If there was a way to make them more integrated into the car, it might not look so offensive to most people on here...

just my .02 cents...

Finally some constructive criticism although they may not be his or my tastes.

The whp per dollar gain here doesn't look good. This is comparable to adding a "STi" sticker but far more permanent.

As far as off-roading in a Jeep goes, I do a fair share of that in my built '99 Wrangler. No way hood louvers would offer any value as I've never seen my thermostat >205F or so and while off-road it is pretty rare to have the engine >3500rpms and sustained WOT is unheard of.

At any rate, I'm in for the before and after data logs or dragstrip runs that show this mod has performance value.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

^^ while you're add it, add it to the back bumper to get rid of the backed up air that "gets caught in the bumper". I wonder if you were to replace the back window on the wagon with this if it would increase your gas mileage while driving around with the sunroof open??

It has already been done:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-1moJDksP_FU/T5_1lLib7qI/AAAAAAAAadI/ZmHYhmi6exk/s1600/iroc.jpeg

X

---

It has already been done:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-1moJDksP_FU/T5_1lLib7qI/AAAAAAAAadI/ZmHYhmi6exk/s1600/iroc.jpeg

X

Is there anyway I could flip that around for my hood?

I'd have like million hoodscoops! Intercooler efficiency would go up like a gajillion percent!

Exactly.

SGT Daddy, you have more balls than most people that come on here. I have a feeling that you will fit in just fine. In the end it is your car. Just because we may not like it enough to add it to our cars, doesn't mean we get to say yay or nay for yours. Its what makes your Subaru, YOUR Subaru.

Exactly.

SGT Daddy, you have more balls than most people that come on here. I have a feeling that you will fit in just fine. In the end it is your car. Just because we may not like it enough to add it to our cars, doesn't mean we get to say yay or nay for yours. Its what makes your Subaru, YOUR Subaru.

Why thank you, besides I am use to this kind of treatment. When you make you cars the way you like them. There are always those who don't like what you did or did not do. In the end the louvers are doing what they were meant to. After a nice hot day and using my AC and a fair amount of driving the hood was cool to the touch save the louvers I almost burnt my hand. Heat no longer gets to hang out under my hood.

No if they did we would all be locked up or shot. So after breaking 100 roday my only complaint is the louvers aren't bigger. I would have ordered the next size up if I only had a different hood. I guess now I have to get a bigger scoop for the hood scoop. =)

Archived