LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT to be Discontinued

08 WGT

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01/subaru-legacy-sales-figures.html

That's where I got the figures.. I did state I wasn't sure if they were correct though. Lol.

ahh... makes sense now. There is a disclaimer...

Prior to 2009 Legacy sales included sales of the Outback.
For apples to apples you have to add Outback back in for the numbers to mean something.

2002 85,359

2003 79,839

2004 89,453

2005 87,788

2006 84,442

2007 78,428

2008 66,876

2009 86,330

2010 131,873

2011 146,806

Pretty much shows the failure of the last generation Outback and Legacy. Sales declined every year after they were introduced and only 2 years outsold the previous gen's 2002 number which was almost its end of life. Kind of sad.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know what... those numbers are even worse when you consider the product portfolio of the Legacy and Outback back then.

2005:

Legacy Wagon NA 4 Manual

Legacy Wagon NA 4 Auto

Legacy Wagon NA 4 Manual leather

Legacy Wagon NA 4 Auto leather

Legacy Wagon Turbo 4 Manual

Legacy Wagon Turbo 4 Auto

Legacy Wagon Turbo 4 Manual leather

Legacy Wagon Turbo 4 Auto leather

Legacy Sedan NA 4 Manual

Legacy Sedan NA 4 Auto

Legacy Sedan NA 4 Manual leather

Legacy Sedan NA 4 Auto leather

Legacy Sedan Turbo 4 Manual

Legacy Sedan Turbo 4 Auto

Legacy Sedan Turbo 4 Manual leather

Legacy Sedan Turbo 4 Auto leather

Outback Wagon NA 4 Manual

Outback Wagon NA 4 Auto

Outback Wagon NA 4 Manual leather

Outback Wagon NA 4 Auto leather

Outback Wagon Turbo 4 Manual

Outback Wagon Turbo 4 Auto

Outback Wagon Turbo 4 Manual leather

Outback Wagon Turbo 4 Auto leather

Outback Wagon NA 6

Outback Wagon NA 6 leather

Outback Sedan NA 6 leather

2011:

Sedan NA 4 Manual

Sedan NA 4 CVT

Sedan NA 4 CVT leather

Sedan Turbo 4 Manual leather

Sedan NA 6 Auto

Sedan NA 6 Auto leather

Outback Wagon NA 4 Manual

Outback Wagon NA 4 CVT

Outback Wagon NA 4 CVT leather

Outback Wagon NA 6

Outback Wagon NA 6 leather

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Shows that the average person prefers the newer models. I mean, these are commuter cars any way you slice it, they are not sports cars. I think people really like the much bigger interior. I hated throwing coworkers in the backseat of my 2006 as I had to move my seat forward, their knees were still hitting the back of my seat though.

So your only option is to get a loaded GT, costing close to $33,000 + dollars, and when your talking that kind of money why not buy an STI, or really loaded out WRX Limited ?????

...the simple answer is b/c both are much smaller and less refined.

IMO the turbo is not going anywhere, they are going to axe the 3.6R since an auto 2.5 Turbo would make more sense for CAFE.

That's a good point... Heck even the new BMW 328 went turbo 4. I never would have thought that.

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

I'm sharing the dream... nobody wake us up, please.

Maybe they took my advice and are issuing a Spec.B for 2013 and a Legacy STI for 2014. :p

It would be awesome if they did!

sorry, meant to include OP for context..

...the simple answer is b/c both are much smaller and less refined.

Everyone on here that owns a 4th gen complains that the 5th gen is too big so you'd figure the smaller size in the WRX would be perfect.

So who here thinks the 5th gen lgt, is the best generation ever?

Who thinks it looks like an grandpa and grandma type of car that you see at your local grocery store? Modded with body kits and aftermarket wheels or not?

Wait, it already has an body kit. The big arches around both the front and rear wheels.

Still looks like an grandma and grandpa type of car or should I say an Buick Century type of car?

So who buys this car?

People who wanted a g37 look a-like but didn't cuz no turbo or people who needed more hip, leg room but didn't realize they bought an turbo engine to haul the family in.

Hey kids, I bought a new car for us. It's a turbo car!

Why buy an turbo car to haul the family in? Buy an N/A engine. What were U thinking?

You don't want it to go kaboom while 8 hours from home with your wife and children with you.

Daddy, What happened?

I guess Subaru needs to make another 4 door turbo sedan model for us with no family and no desire for any of these. Comfort, more leg room, hip room, quieter ride, electronic Parking brake or better MPG and no happy face either.

A 4 door sedan weekend, track, race, mod type of car.

They can keep the current one for "Family's" but with no turbo offered anymore.

Ok, I'll stop it. No more writing for me

Who thinks it looks like an grandpa and grandma type of car that you see at your local grocery store? Modded with body kits and aftermarket wheels or not?

Wait, it already has an body kit. The big arches around both the front and rear wheels.

Still looks like an grandma and grandpa type of car or should I say an Buick Century type of car?

So who buys this car?

People who wanted a g37 look a-like but didn't cuz no turbo or people who needed more hip, leg room but didn't realize they bought an turbo engine to haul the family in.

Why buy an turbo car to haul the family in? Buy an N/A engine. What were U thinking?

You don't want it to go kaboom while 8 hours from home with your wife and children with you.

Daddy, What happened?

I guess Subaru needs to make another 4 door turbo sedan model for us with no family and no desire for any of these. Comfort, more leg room, hip room, quieter ride, electronic Parking brake or better MPG and no happy face either.

quit whining and assuming that your is opinion is the same as everyone elses.

I bought one .. I think it looks sharp.

We also own an earlier generation lgt 2005

and I also own a 2002 wrx.

Just because you dont like it doesnt mean everyone else doesnt and everyone else is wrong or stupid. You are pretty pig headed to assume that.

So who buys this car?

Daddy, What happened?

Silly argument considering the LGT is manual only. And Subaru doesn't make the LGT first. They make the Legacy (the bread winner) and then make a sportier LGT. They also already make the car you describe... two of them. They are called the WRX and WRX STI

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The nice thing about opinions is that everyone is entitled to one :)

My opinion is that the new Legacy caters more to the people-hauler crowd. It's roomy, not particularly luxurious, not particularly sporty and not particularly all that well equipped. I personally think it looks too puffy and prefer the svelte look of the previous gen, specifically the 2008 refresh.

So who buys this car?

Daddy, What happened?

Wow, I can tell you exactly why I bought my legacy (both the GT and the 3.6r). There is no other non-domestic car on the market that has real AWD and is priced under $30k with 250+hp that's a full size sedan.

And by the way, in MY personal opinion, the old legacy was small and ugly, and never was on my radar until the 2010 model came out and it actually became a normal sized car.

Opinions are opinion. It sounds like from the get-go that you're trying to turn this thread into another pointless 4th vs 5th gen thread, which this is not about. It also sounds like you're making an awful lot of bad assumptions :rolleyes:. It would be great if you stopped whining as promised!

^^^^^ agree'd ^^^^

+2 for everything Ozzy has been posting also. If it were not for the sheer size of the 5G Legacy , Subaru would not have even been on the radar while I was shopping. I NEEDED a bigger , safer vehicle than I had , the manual was a big benefit ... and turbo to boot!

WIN WIN WIN for me !

I am NOT saying 5g is "better" than the 4g , I had a 4g OB for awhile as my work vehicle and I understand the "sporting" issue all of the 4g lovers spout off about , but considering how close the 4g's and Imprezas are in size , they were both in the same market segment.

I just wish they'd revive the XT , I'd be all over that ....

or

a manual 3.6R Legacy or OB ... ohhhh ... type slower .... I'm creamin' !

I think the people on this forum need to realize that we make up probably 1-5% of Subaru's total market. If you randomly polled 100 4th gen subaru legacy owners (not tuners or enthusiasts), I guarentee 95 of them will say the new car is "better" (define that HOWEVER you want).

We are the 1% people! All car manufacturers do not cater to our desires.....if they did.....all cars would be VERY different. People want sizeable, safe, comfortable cars. Most don't even know what performance is, or what kind of engine is under the hood!

MOST car owners of any company, are not on enthusiast forums, PERIOD. If Subaru catered their entire line up to enthusiasts, they would be bankrupt. They have the WRX, the STI, and now the BRZ. QUIT COMPLAINING! WHAT ELSE DO YOU WANT!? AT LEAST THEY MAKE SPORTY CARS FOR THOSE THAT WANT THEM!

Want to know another reason why the 4th gen didn't sell well?

Think about how many television commercials you saw for it vs. how many you've seen for the 5th gen.

Helps when people actually know what you're selling. Shame it happened in 2010 instead of 2005, but too late now. Only leaves us wondering, "what if?"

It sucks, but due to the increased size, it would seem that the newer WRX/STI is our new LGT. Isn't it roughly the same size as the 4th gen?

Want to know another reason why the 4th gen didn't sell well?

Think about how many television commercials you saw for it vs. how many you've seen for the 5th gen.

Helps when people actually know what you're selling. Shame it happened in 2010 instead of 2005, but too late now. Only leaves us wondering, "what if?"

It sucks, but due to the increased size, it would seem that the newer WRX/STI is our new LGT. Isn't it roughly the same size as the 4th gen?

BS. The 4th gen had ads like the one touting it was faster than a porsche boxter. SOA also spent more in event advertising and print advertising on the Legacy back then as well. There was even a $ incentive for just test driving them when it launched. I haven't seen a 5th gen ad in probably a year.

Even if there was more $ spent on advertising the BM, advertising is not the answer. Mazda spent a small fortune launching the Mazda 6 and it was and is a major flop.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived