LegacyGT.com

Official Skiing and Snowboarding thread

Brady

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any Boston area peeps been skiing recently? Planning a day trip on Saturday but not sure where to go yet... Probably looking to stay within 2 hr drive of Somerville, so most places in VT and northern NH not in play... Thoughts/suggestions/recent experiences?

Ok I'm officially hating on you guys getting to snowboard/ski with all that powder. Need to take a trip up to Vermont to get some sort of snow time.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I will say, Breckenridge had 8" of the driest powder on Christmas. Sure ... it's on top of rocks, but it was fluffy! VERY fun in the bumps too. :)

Any Boston area peeps been skiing recently? Planning a day trip on Saturday but not sure where to go yet... Probably looking to stay within 2 hr drive of Somerville, so most places in VT and northern NH not in play... Thoughts/suggestions/recent experiences?

I'm heading to crotched mountain for some night skiing on Saturday. It's $40 or so from 5pm-3am and there's supposed to be some fresh snow coming in. I just got a brand new setup that I'm pumped to try. I live on the north Shore btw. Usually not to crowded either at night

I'm heading to crotched mountain for some night skiing on Saturday. It's $40 or so from 5pm-3am and there's supposed to be some fresh snow coming in. I just got a brand new setup that I'm pumped to try. I live on the north Shore btw. Usually not to crowded either at night

Thanks! Crotched made my short list... along with Gunstock, Nashoba, Wachusett, Ragged and Pat's Peak... probably gonna hit it in the morning for either a 1/2 day or full day... not sure yet. Trying to balance driving a bit further for more/better snow vs. what time I'll have to set my alarm for it! Currently leaning towards Pat's Peak for a decent compromise... Still not decided yet... some will depend on what my lady friend is thinking...

Hi guys, hoping that someone here might be able to help me out.

Looking at getting a rack for what'll likely be 2-3 mountain trips a year (plan on taking the rack off and storing it during off time, though if I take up surfing we may re-evaluate)

I noticed SportRack by Thule seems to have a fairly cheap base rack setup, but I can't seem to find many reviews on them. Anyone have any experience with them?

Hi guys, hoping that someone here might be able to help me out.

Looking at getting a rack for what'll likely be 2-3 mountain trips a year (plan on taking the rack off and storing it during off time, though if I take up surfing we may re-evaluate)

I noticed SportRack by Thule seems to have a fairly cheap base rack setup, but I can't seem to find many reviews on them. Anyone have any experience with them?

Excuse the terrible pun, but racks are a racket. Buy used on CL, swap out clips, footprints, etc. as needed. There's really only two players in the game, and retail set-ups for either are ridiculous. Buy used base racks at least.

I've got Thule, wife's got Yakima, pro's and con's with either.

Excuse the terrible pun, but racks are a racket. Buy used on CL, swap out clips, footprints, etc. as needed. There's really only two players in the game, and retail set-ups for either are ridiculous. Buy used base racks at least.

I've got Thule, wife's got Yakima, pro's and con's with either.

Which is why I was inquiring about this set up. They seem to be reasonably priced and made by Thule.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/SportRack-A21008S-Frontier-Roof-Rack/dp/B004RLFRME/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1356829825&sr=8-2&keywords=A21008S]Amazon.com: SportRack Frontier Car Roof Rack System: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

^^^ Yeah, they look solid enough, though they aren't that much cheaper than Thule's other offerings, at least on Amazon. The cross bar seems to be pretty much identical to Thule's other squared-off bar, so I can't imagine you'd have issues mating components.

This may sound vain, but my system is ugly as sin, and if I had the chance to do it again I'd spend the extra dough for a modern version. By modern I mean attractive.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello folks been out six time this season and I live in NoVA. Been skiing my new setup K2 Impacts in 174cm (120-80-109) Marker MX 12 bindings and Nordica GTS 12 boots. Great ski for the Mid Atlantic conditions was tough to drive in the deep moguls, im sure to 167s but overall very happy with the setup.

I got a past to WhiteTail so I ski all three (RoundTop, Liberty and WT) but have been to SnowShoe, Blue Knob, Copper Mtn CO. Blue Mtn was epic with 16" of fresh wet snow cant wait to get back out to SnowShoe now that the West is open!

Hello folks been out six time this season and I live in NoVA. Been skiing my new setup K2 Impacts in 174cm (120-80-109) Marker MX 12 bindings and Nordica GTS 12 boots. Great ski for the Mid Atlantic conditions was tough to drive in the deep moguls, im sure to 167s but overall very happy with the setup.

I got a past to WhiteTail so I ski all three (RoundTop, Liberty and WT) but have been to SnowShoe, Blue Knob, Copper Mtn CO. Blue Mtn was epic with 16" of fresh wet snow cant wait to get back out to SnowShoe now that the West is open!

As someone who likes to ski a LOT of moguls, I suspect that the issue isn't the length of your skis, but the technique you apply when skiing them. It takes a whole lot of practice to ski moguls well, and most ski instructors don't teach mogul skiing, but rather mogul survival. Almost never else on the mountain is it more important to remember to keep your shoulders square with the fall line or at least your intended line (trees is about the only place it's more important). You should be leaning down the hill, not away from the bumps, and when your body is facing the direction you want to go, it's much easier for your legs to follow where your body is already facing. Then you need to forget almost everything else instructors teach you. You generally need to stand tall (while still keeping your momentum forward), you keep your feet together ... forget shoulder width, you don't engage your edges, you let your skis slide, you absorb the bump with your legs like a big ol' shock absorber and use that to control your speed and extend your legs down the backside of the bump.

Easy to tell, harder to implement. It's very easy for that to all fall apart, but it's so rewarding when you feel the rhythm and absolutely rip a line. Did that at Keystone under Montezuma last week.

There's a book by Dan DiPiro called "Everything the Instructors Never Told You About Mogul Skiing" which is a great guide and he has some good little drills for people wanting to be better at it.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Everything-Instructors-Never-About-Skiing/dp/142086159X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358087959&sr=8-1&keywords=everything+the+instructors+never+told+you+about+mogul+skiing]Everything the Instructors Never Told You About Mogul Skiing: Dan DiPiro: 9781420861594: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

As someone who likes to ski a LOT of moguls, I suspect that the issue isn't the length of your skis, but the technique you apply when skiing them. It takes a whole lot of practice to ski moguls well, and most ski instructors don't teach mogul skiing, but rather mogul survival. Almost never else on the mountain is it more important to remember to keep your shoulders square with the fall line or at least your intended line (trees is about the only place it's more important). You should be leaning down the hill, not away from the bumps, and when your body is facing the direction you want to go, it's much easier for your legs to follow where your body is already facing. Then you need to forget almost everything else instructors teach you. You generally need to stand tall (while still keeping your momentum forward), you keep your feet together ... forget shoulder width, you don't engage your edges, you let your skis slide, you absorb the bump with your legs like a big ol' shock absorber and use that to control your speed and extend your legs down the backside of the bump.

Easy to tell, harder to implement. It's very easy for that to all fall apart, but it's so rewarding when you feel the rhythm and absolutely rip a line. Did that at Keystone under Montezuma last week.

There's a book by Dan DiPiro called "Everything the Instructors Never Told You About Mogul Skiing" which is a great guide and he has some good little drills for people wanting to be better at it.

Everything the Instructors Never Told You About Mogul Skiing: Dan DiPiro: 9781420861594: Amazon.com: Books

Thanks! That is the problem when the moguls are present the instructors are simply showing how to get through them standing but I dont want to survive I want to drop in any mogul and take or transition to any line present in the chop!

For example now when I get to the mogul slope i stop and plot a line through then drop in but I see guys ski up and attack and transition from ski on tops to in the troughs so seamlessly and being fairly new to moguls i want to apply chop skiing mechanics b/c its the closest thing I know but that doesnt work.

I practice a lot while in the rough with absorbing the terrain with my core and legs (like a car strut) so typically fix my upper body then allow waist down to float the moguls and I feel that rhythm with each trough but when I want to bounce over to a different line that is where i fail.

You have any tips for traversing steep moguls while controlling speed? The steep, the drop in doesnt scare me. But I want to get through the mogul field under control.

One thing I think you need to get past is focusing on the trough. You don't necessarily want to stay in the trough. The top and backs of the moguls is where the soft snow is. Slide down into the face of the bump and then absorb with your legs as you slide into and over the bump. It's easy to pivot on the back side as you slide into the next bump. But a big challenge until you're used to it (and even after) is to keep your weight forward. Don't lean away from the bump, as you absorb it, lean over the top and point your shoulders down the fall line.

I generally find when I get out of rhythm, it's because I let my body turn back parallel to my skis. When I'm skiing bumps well, my upper body is calm with shoulders downhill and my legs are working hard.

And remember that you're not bouncing off the bumps, you're keeping your skis in contact with them at all times. You have to really push your legs down as you crest the bumps to keep your skis in contact at all times. There are exceptions when you get really good, but it's rare for me to hit those lines and time the hops from bump to bump just right. I aspire to be that guy ... one day!

• 2 weeks later...
I'm going up to Mt Snow for the weekend, probably going to be the last riding for the season, seeing as how I don't have a job and this was a christmas present :-(

I'll be curious to hear how it is Bucko... Especially what their coverage is like, and if the glades are open... I'm gonna be up there the weekend of Feb 15th, hoping to ski that Friday and avoid the crowds! :)

Archived