LegacyGT.com

Official Skiing and Snowboarding thread

Brady

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hey guys, any recommendations for decent snow googles/sunglasses. I am sick of my generic crap goggles. Ok in the sun but with overcast skies I couldn't see any definition in snow. My understanding is that in general yellow to brown color is best for snow. Yellow for overcast with darker brown for sunlight, right?. Any specific goggles you could recommend that are tried and true but won't brake the bank? What about polarized shades...some say it's harder to see ice patches in these?

Absolutely do not get polarized glasses. Because of the way light reflects off ice, it will cut glare and will definitely minimize your ability to see icy patches.

As for goggles, I've been VERY happy with my Smith I/Os. I would say go for a spherical lens as well. If you're looking for good goggles, go in with the expectation to spend at least $100 and realistically be ready to spend up to $200. With just a little care, they can last a long time. I'm currently on my third season with the I/Os (averaging 35 days a season) and they're in great shape.

• I Donated
Absolutely do not get polarized glasses. Because of the way light reflects off ice, it will cut glare and will definitely minimize your ability to see icy patches.

As for goggles, I've been VERY happy with my Smith I/Os. I would say go for a spherical lens as well. If you're looking for good goggles, go in with the expectation to spend at least $100 and realistically be ready to spend up to $200. With just a little care, they can last a long time. I'm currently on my third season with the I/Os (averaging 35 days a season) and they're in great shape.

I respectfully disagree on the polarized glasses. I wouldn't get anything else other than polarized myself, but I hate the glare

Well do what you like, but one of the best attributes of goggles is to show the detail of the snow, and polarized lenses cut the reflected light off the snow. It really does hurt the ability to make out the details a skier needs.

I have some cheap, greyish/brownish generic shit from sports authority but my wife has old yellow uvex. DIfference is very dramatic. I don't remember using them in full sun but stole them from her once for overcast weather and they were spectacular in rendering definition in snow

so these have interchangable lenses ?? I am coming from $20 toy goggles so bear with me :) What lenses do you recommend

Yes, the I/Os come w/ a flat-light and full-sun lens. They swap in and out reasonably well, and I just stash whichever I'm not using in my chest pocket or pack. They are not cheap. Do you wear a helmet? This may come into play.

At some point you have to stop blaming the goggles for your trepidation in low light:p.

• I Donated
Decent coverage? (ie, not skiing over rocks and roots on the trails that were open?) Any idea what trails were open? I'm unemployed and bored... might be worth a day trip at those prices!

Decent on the open trails. No rocks, they were blowing snow all day so it turned into moguls unfortunately. The 12 bucks was a one day thing. Cascade, long John, ridge, little John, that was about it

Thanks for the info! Kinda surprised they spent the time/$$$ to get Long John open! Guess they wanted a top to bottom green... No Exhibition or Standard though, too bad... I suppose once you get LJ up, it's easier to go for Ridge than to work on a separate part of the mountain...

Archived