LegacyGT.com

JB's Teardown and Rebuild

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well let me know tomorrow, check with Subaru. I would need to tear it down to that point which wont be hard....I just need to know. If you can not get it quicker through Subaru I should be able to send it out tomorrow before COB.
[

ohh ok, gotcha. Yeah I don't know what that gear is called. You could bring it into subaru and get a quote on price/shipping. Most dealerships can usually have parts like that with in a day or two tops, providing they're one of the larger dealerships. Hell, maybe even national auto might be able to get you it quick. I usually use them for random small parts I can't find anywhere else and they usually have it with in an hour of calling.

Yea i just sent a message to the guy that runs the parts department at subaru on our local indiana forum. hopefully i can get it soon, dying to get all of my parts together just waiting on the small stuff, but thats how cars go no matter how new or old or what projects your doing.

Hey why'd you post a upside down picture. It hurts my eye's they are trying to flip it right side up. LOL

Are you talking about the sprocket on the crankshaft ?

In case you need a picture of how it goes together here. Remember when you put the new belt on lift the belt over that bottom pulley on the passenger side last. I think I then rotated the crankshaft by hand a couple of times before pulling the pin on the tensioner.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/Picture075.jpg

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

im not setting the timing or putting it back together. machine shop is assembling it to the point of setting the timing. then ill do the rest.

In other news:

HEAD STUDS CAME IN. Machine shop tomorrow for everything finally. just gotta get the pulley but they can work on it with out that for a day or two.

Everything is finally at the machine shop. They said they hope to have it ready for me to pick up in under a week. Pushing the envelope on my time but i think i can do it. just worried about getting it together and a base tune on it in time. Gonna prep the car as much as i can this week so that everything goes quickly!

Oh your short on time ? I must have missed that.

One tip for getting the tranny to line up with the clutch, you may have to rotate the crankshaft a bit so the input shaft will slide into the clutch.

Wire brush the matting surface for the engine and tranny, makes for a good ground path.

Put anti-seize on the dowel pins on the block.

Take the banjo filter out of the banjo on the back of the head.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

thanks ill be sure to do all of that, im trying to decide how far im going to assemble the motor (intake, hoses, etc) before putting it back in the car. hoping that mating the two wont be too bad. pulling them apart was easy but we all know ripping shit apart is easier then putting it back together haha

I vote for assemble as much as possible. It beats the hack out of bending the fender.

Plus if you drop something, its easy to flip the block over on the engine stand.

Remember anti-seize on everything. Do you have all the oils and coolants, any other fluids that you'll need ? A couple of oil changes + filters ?

I think you got fresh spark plugs. One step colder, right.

Don't put the spark plugs in until after you have turned the engine over to build oil pressure. Oh Yea disconnect the injectors so they don't pump fuel.

Or lets think about it. I know the plugs are a PITA to install in the car.

How can you spin the oil pump without the starter on the block.

Without the plugs in, how easy is it to spin the crank ?

Will a impact gun spin the crank fast enough the build oil pressure ?

In my 56 years, I've learned to think outside the box. I haven't thought this thru much yet, but this thread is good for me. I'll be doing my engine next spring.

Impact guns are great. :)

Archived