LegacyGT.com

JB's Teardown and Rebuild

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

got my sti oil pump, killer b oil pick up, gates racing belt, and plugs today. basically waiting on an oil pan to drop off my heads to get rebuilt and PnP and the motor put together and timing set then sometime next week we should start moving through some things!

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2/jeeped07/Legacy%20GT%20Build/IMAG0186.jpg

It's over rated. You get used to not having it. I found it helped me keep a greater distance from the guy I was following. Not a bad thing.

Haha makes you respect the rear end of other cars. That might be a good thing for me. I'm an asshole to super slow drivers on back roads. My only concern is with deer around here, they normally always hit high but with no bumper beam to deflect just In case, you could be shit out of luck then. If it were all city driving I wouldn't care either way, I keep my distance in traffic purposely.

And sry not trying to thread jack JB, lol.

I drove from NEPA to Western WA this past December without a bumper beam (shop who did my motor lost it!) and I can tell you even though I kept my distance from other cars, driving on snow and ice was NOT fun. I put a bumper beam in the car as soon as I could get another one...

Someone find me a turbo! Im tired of looking, wish i had the cash to buy brand new, thats really the only big purchase i have left. Hopefully this time next week the engine will be going back into the car.

You should get a VF52 then ....

How much are you looking to spend on the turbo? Are you looking to go STI fitment or stick with the flanged turbo? Also what kind of numbers are you looking to put down? I will keep an eye out, once I know some information!
[

lookin to be able to run 350 whp. Id like to hit 400whp but numbers really dont worry me that much, fitment idc really i should be able to make either work between fmic and my abilities to modify things. As far as cash i have about 1100 im willing to spend. Im constantly browsing classifieds but seems like everyone i find theres something that prevents me from getting it.

I have followed this thread with much interest. Sorry to here of your misfortune, but you have the right attitude. Good luck with everything.

As for the dealer, didn't they have at least a 30 day warranty? You should look into the laws in VA and at least report them to the BBB. Maybe you can get some $$s out of them to help with your project.

Maybe I missed it, but do you plan to upgrade/modify the turbo oil feed lines and the bango bolt filter? This would be prudent since so many turbo have blown from this problem. There are multiple threads on this forum on this subject. Just something to think about.

Great work BTW.

No no i still havent bought a turbo. Im just assuming banjo bolts are the same size for stock or aftermarket turbos and i know the vf40 and vf52 use the same banjo bolt with the difference being the 40s had a screen and the 52s didnt so i will buy one of those if they are the same size as the turbo i will be going with. Still new to subies and turbo cars in general so im learning as i go here. Done lots of builds on chevys, fords, and n/a engines but the whole turbo thing is new to me.

Also, appreciate u lookin for turbos for me. Nasioc being down all day has killed me as i was hoping to browse for turbos all day :(

Changing out the stock AVCS line is a great preventative maintenance measure. It's totally worth it. The banjo bolt connected to the block is the same size regardless if its from a different turbo type. It's a BPT threaded banjo bolt. The 05-06 lgt's just came with a screen inserted inside of the bolt. It's easily removed with pliers.

Braided lines are just a good thing to do in general. Which kit did you buy? I pieced together my own with 3 12" female to female NPT lines and used an all male NPT through T fitting and a FP inline turbo filter. Adds a little piece of mind when worrying about contaminants. As for the turbo banjo bolt that supplies the turbo it self with oil; the turbo should come with one if its an aftermarket one. If you buy a BNR turbo, you can either get one from him or reuse the stock bolt.(not referring to the bolt that screws into the back of the block, but the one that screws on top of the turbo)

IDRVSLO

Im curious as to why you're suggesting a vf52 for a built block and FMIC.

If he wanted the 52, he should've gone stock block with a TMIC and mild injectors. :confused: And only made about 300whp.

Joe find a 3076 and be done with it

IDRVSLO

Im curious as to why you're suggesting a vf52 for a built block and FMIC.

If he wanted the 52, he should've gone stock block with a TMIC and mild injectors. :confused: And only made about 300whp.

Joe find a 3076 and be done with it

Tell me where I suggested a VF52??? He was discussing the banjo bolt on the 52......I then asked if that is what he went with.

Try some reading comprehension.

[

send the metal scraps back to the salesman and make sure when he pulls it out the box, there is some oil that will leak on to his suit :lol: that will make up for the sale...so far the build id looking nice!!!

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

Archived