LegacyGT.com

JB's Teardown and Rebuild

thanks guys. im hoping i can have mine done in a month. might be a stretch but we will see.

Picked up a new sti shortblock with forged internals, DW 1100 cc side feed injectors, FMS FMIC, down pipe, and gasketset last night. I still have to get headder, up pipe, and make up my mind on turbo as well as getting my head checked to see what damage was done there.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry about your engine blowing right after your purchase. Damn Virginians. Haha! Can't wait to see more pictures.

I wanted to say damn you __________ but then I realized you were from VA as well :lol: I reckon the dealer had a hunch about this the least he could do is find you a running junked motor or something. There is no way the dealer didn't know(.)

thanks guys. im hoping i can have mine done in a month. might be a stretch but we will see.

Picked up a new sti shortblock with forged internals, DW 1100 cc side feed injectors, FMS FMIC, down pipe, and gasketset last night. I still have to get headder, up pipe, and make up my mind on turbo as well as getting my head checked to see what damage was done there.

Got Dayummmm 1100cc's, Forged whats? :lol: You sir have a strong base there for future power :) Turbo wise what are you looking at?

FMIC or TMIC the former allows for STi fitment turbos. Im def in for pics I want to see what you create :)

I have a bit more time to give some info, im going to run the new (2011)sti shortblock with nitrated crank, forged rods and pistons. Deatschwerks 1100 cc injectors, Fast Motorsports FMIC, Walbro 255lph, CNT catless downpipe, legacy spec b up pipe, AEM intake, South Bend stage 2 daily clutch, and lightweight fly wheel car already has autospeed catback... Im also looking for header still and other things like an AOS, short shifter, spark plugs, oil pick up, turbo inlet, and timing belt.

Wow, I would be so pissed if i had driven my new(pre-owned) car home and the engine blew. Im sorry to hear but at least u picked up from it and found the enthusiasm to take the project on again. The previous owner probably abused it and if the oil hadnt been changed in a while and your 750 mile drive... = /

But it did sort of happen to my friend. It was a 4 hour drive i think and the clutch line was hitting the fmic piping i think, blew the line and i still dont understand but he drove it with the clutch pedal engaged the rest of the way home.

But anyway, excited to see what you make of it! It looks cleaned body-wise though!

Yea it really sucks, but theres nothing i can do so i just had to get over it. The body i would say is 9/10. i washed it yesterday to clean all the bugs and bird crap off from the ride home. The interior is mint. It seriously looks brand new and im hoping to have this back on the road in less than 4 weeks so stay tuned...

It's a lot of work ill say. Can be done in 4 weeks for sure, but those are goin to be some hard dedicated 4 weeks haha. Also depends on how fast you can get everything shipped to you. As for some of the items you mentioned, I recommend killerb oil pickup for obvious reasons. Also what turbo options have you considered for your self? I know your power goal is 350 but are you looking for a dd streetable 350 with low end tq or 350 with nothing but high end power. I think 350 is really a thin line per say for turbos. Some your close to maxing them out and others they're just getting warmed up. All depends on what your driveability goal is.

Yea itll be a lot of work but i wanna drive my new car that i can only push around now. I ordered the killerb set up a couple hours ago, as well as performance timing belt kit. The turbos im lookin at are the garret gt35r 0.82ar housing and BNR Stage 4 (VF40-20G/TD06 11 blade) Im hoping to tune on e85 but not positive on that yet.

thanks for the link. i got them off earlier today using that method. now i just gotta figure out the rest of getting the heads off, didnt have time to fool with them today. Hope to have both heads off tomorrow and see what all has to be replaced. Hopefully ill get some parts in by the end of the week.

thanks! def going w the cubby mount.

heres a teaser pic of what arrived today ;)

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2/jeeped07/Legacy%20GT%20Build/IMAG0156.jpg

ill get to unwrapping it here in an hour or so

Ruh roh!

Sold: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Spec B #104 of 500

Well i still havent unwrapped the new shortblock cause i have no real reason to yet, however i did get one of the heads off the old block, i took off the one that was on the side the rod disconnected... look what i found upon removal, idk if or how ill be able to get all the shrapnel out to see how bad the cylinder walls are in this block.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2/jeeped07/Legacy%20GT%20Build/IMAG0162.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2/jeeped07/Legacy%20GT%20Build/IMAG0164.jpg

Any pictures of the head ?

I notice that's a 22mm socket, is that on the crank bolt ?

My 05GT has a 23mm bolt the holds the crank pulley on.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

yes it is the crank pulley... weird mines got a 22.

heres the best pics w my phone i could get.. ill have better ones tomorrow.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2/jeeped07/Legacy%20GT%20Build/IMAG0170.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2/jeeped07/Legacy%20GT%20Build/IMAG0169.jpg

Well i still havent unwrapped the new shortblock cause i have no real reason to yet, however i did get one of the heads off the old block, i took off the one that was on the side the rod disconnected... look what i found upon removal, idk if or how ill be able to get all the shrapnel out to see how bad the cylinder walls are in this block.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2/jeeped07/Legacy%20GT%20Build/IMAG0162.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2/jeeped07/Legacy%20GT%20Build/IMAG0164.jpg

I believe my exact words were, "Holy f@#king sh!t". I was expecting some nasty, and this quite well delivered.

yea i was shocked and then laughed, i was not expecting it to be that gruesome. at least ill know how to completely disassemble a boxer engine, im wondering if i can reuse this block in the future after machine work, but im not sure how far these can be bored out and im sure itd have to be a good bit with this kind of damage.

Archived