LegacyGT.com

JB's Teardown and Rebuild

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow that's some extensive damage. The heads should be salvageable. If anything just put new oem internals in the head for now for cost effectiveness. They'll be fine with the power your looking for. As for the block, I've seen Bores as large as 102 but sleeved. Im not sure if anyone has tried larger. These blocks are pretty thin when it comes to piston walls and it being cast aluminum, that doesn't make it any easier. Granted the shortblock only weighs about 60lbs or so lol. If you were to actually turn that old short block into a project, I'd definitely have it blueprinted and balanced, and youd probably be better off going sleeved lol. Hell, might as well go with a crower 1.7 stroker kit :-)

You got a new oem 2011 257 block?

Yes, the head doesn't look that bad. You'd be amazed what a can be done to the heads to save them. We had a Honda head that had a valve stuck sideways in it, that's the same head that made 735whp later in it's life.

That piston is amazing.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'd not get the 35R.

If I were in your shoes, I'd look at a 3076 and nothing bigger. That turbo will make sick power, but not make you want to shoot yourself in the face below 4500rpm.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Wow that's some extensive damage. The heads should be salvageable. If anything just put new oem internals in the head for now for cost effectiveness. They'll be fine with the power your looking for. As for the block, I've seen Bores as large as 102 but sleeved. Im not sure if anyone has tried larger. These blocks are pretty thin when it comes to piston walls and it being cast aluminum, that doesn't make it any easier. Granted the shortblock only weighs about 60lbs or so lol. If you were to actually turn that old short block into a project, I'd definitely have it blueprinted and balanced, and youd probably be better off going sleeved lol. Hell, might as well go with a crower 1.7 stroker kit :-)

You got a new oem 2011 257 block?

yes

But you put forged pistons and rods into it?
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Don't put all new OEM parts in those heads!

The OEM exhaust valves are garbage in the LegGT and will cause trouble down the road.

Just had my heads re-worked after all 4 exhaust valves mushroomed out of spec. $300 valve job turned into $6,800 for a new shortblock, forged internals, re-worked heads with STi valves.

You don't need much of a valve upgrade, the STi exhaust valves will do great up to 400HP. Stock intake valves are great and were re-used in my new set-up.

good luck!

Don't put all new OEM parts in those heads!

The OEM exhaust valves are garbage in the LegGT and will cause trouble down the road.

Just had my heads re-worked after all 4 exhaust valves mushroomed out of spec. $300 valve job turned into $6,800 for a new shortblock, forged internals, re-worked heads with STi valves.

You don't need much of a valve upgrade, the STi exhaust valves will do great up to 400HP. Stock intake valves are great and were re-used in my new set-up.

good luck!

if his car is an 05-06, it has the same valves as an STI, B25 head castings are completely the same, the cams are the same, etc. etc.

thought id make a list of what ive bought so far

2011 sti short block -forged internals w CP pistons

Fast Motorsports FMIC

South Bend stage 2 HD Daily clutch

Deatschwerks Side Feed 1100cc injectors w walbro fuel pump

CNT catless Down Pipe

Legacy spec B Up Pipe

kartboy short shifter and bushings

killerb oil pick up

oem subaru 200+ piece gasket set

perrin turbo inlet

I think thats all ive bought as of right now but if i think of anything else ill update.

The stock head internals will hold power no problem. If you do want to work the heads then just be prepared to drop a lot of dough then. Cams, valves, springs, PnP, you'd probably have to blueprint it, ect. Adds up quick for what little gain you have at the power levels your looking for. Unless your looking for a 7500+ rev limit on a dd that sounds like a bored v8 then go for it. Just saying it'll get pretty expensive.

im not looking to upgrade honestly but my motto is if i have to replace it i should upgrade it. If my head can be machined and buy a few valves and run thats what ill do if i have to buy a new head then ill compare prices of stock vs aftermarket

the rebuild is being done on about 50% credit. I wish my pockets were that deep but they arent, im in college right now but i work and have a solid summer job, ive been saving for about a year to buy the car and left myself money for upgrades but not nearly enough for all of this, dont get me wrong im realllllly tight on money now, but i dont wanna do it half assed.

Holy moly, that piston damage is beyond crazy!!! Soooo, no pitting of the head? I had a valve stem break and drop in to the piston, it destroyed the combustion chamber of the head with pitting and shrapnel... It was nothing like your damage though!

if his car is an 05-06, it has the same valves as an STI, B25 head castings are completely the same, the cams are the same, etc. etc.

That's funny. Just went through this entire mess myself and will take delivery of my car today. $7K in total damages.

My '06 LegGT 5EAT did not have STi exhaust valves. But they are STi exhaust valves now.

www.metricmotorsextreme.com is who did the shortblock build for me and the head re-build. 4 new exhaust valves, guides, etc. Polished the cams. Intake valves were good after 87K.

They can do anything you want to your heads, including a Hi-revving 9K cam job if you want. I said no thank you to 9K revs!

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Not too much to report today, heat index of 115 again so after 8 hours of work all the energy i had was to clean the garage and prepare for FMIC mounting tomorrow. I organized some of my new goodies as well

South Bend Stage 2 HD Clutch and 1100cc injectors sitting ontop of my new CNT catless DP.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2/jeeped07/Legacy%20GT%20Build/037.jpg

This thing is a monster i was not prepared for it to be so big (thats what she said)

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2/jeeped07/Legacy%20GT%20Build/029.jpg

Heres the intercooler ready for install tomorrow..

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2/jeeped07/Legacy%20GT%20Build/036.jpg

And very sadly this is the only thing ive put on the car since i bought it (oem floor mats since it had none upon purchase)

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2/jeeped07/Legacy%20GT%20Build/038.jpg

Archived