LegacyGT.com

Anyone seriously not happy with their Hawk pads?

fishbone

I just used them on my oem rotors that were turned. They may cause slightly more rotor wear than HPS, but I liked them because the dust is similar to HPS but they were quieter in my experience and the performance was definitely better.

I've never heard noise with the HPS yet...

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you comparing Hawk HPS or Hawk HP+ to the EBC?

-mike

HPS since that's the only variety I was using. As other member mentioned yellows are dusty and wear fairly fast but damn it they will stop you on the dime and honestly I never experienced any issues when cold but also never driven with those during winter

HPS since that's the only variety I was using. As other member mentioned yellows are dusty and wear fairly fast but damn it they will stop you on the dime and honestly I never experienced any issues when cold but also never driven with those during winter

For my new pads, I don't really care about dusting. Longevity would be nice. The main thing I really want is a pad that will be better than oem, hold up to auto-x during the summer and work without having to warm them up in the winter where it sometimes gets below 0F and stays there for weeks.

I've narrowed it down to the ebc yellow and carbotech compound 1521 (bobcats)

heard good things about carbotechs but don't have personal experiance. Please understand that there is no great pad for everything. If it's just auto-x anything other than oem will work :) If it's high speed auto x on the actual track with high speeds and frequent agressive breaking ....do yourself a favor and get dedicated pads and rotors. Any rotors. Cheap rotora from tire rack worked for me great. Don't get into this whole slotted/drilled nonsense unless you have 400whp and willing to buy DBA or some other high performance brand.

heard good things about carbotechs but don't have personal experiance. Please understand that there is no great pad for everything. If it's just auto-x anything other than oem will work :) If it's high speed auto x on the actual track with high speeds and frequent agressive breaking ....do yourself a favor and get dedicated pads and rotors. Any rotors. Cheap rotora from tire rack worked for me great. Don't get into this whole slotted/drilled nonsense unless you have 400whp and willing to buy DBA or some other high performance brand.

IMHO not drilled but cast holes = huge improvement in both initial brake torque and feel. They just keep biting harder under slight outgassing which would not be fatal for normal rotors but require more pedal effort. It's noticeable even with street driving. Also they keep rotor temperature down. - coming off the highway to a full stop at a light with hot rotors is bad and will cause vibration if done hard and frequently enough.

I chose the Carbotechs over the hawks and honestly don't like them.^^

I even upgraded to slotted rotors. They were fantastic for the first week then after break-in they were no better than the OEM. After 15K miles they squeel constantly and don't like the rain.

Tonight my front right caliper stuck and I may have toasted them anyway.:spin:

I am not all that happy with my AP F-404 pads. They are supposed to be either re-branded Ferodo DS2500 or something formulated by Ferodo that is very similar. They need constant re-bedding or the transfer layer gets uneven and produces a lot of vibration under heavy pedal pressure. Way more heat range than the Hawks but much harder to keep happy.

At least there are a few more pad choices out there for the AP CP5200 caliper...

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I am not all that happy with my AP F-404 pads. They are supposed to be either re-branded Ferodo DS2500 or something formulated by Ferodo that is very similar. They need constant re-bedding or the transfer layer gets uneven and produces a lot of vibration under heavy pedal pressure. Way more heat range than the Hawks but much harder to keep happy.

At least there are a few more pad choices out there for the AP CP5200 caliper...

Sounds like they're track-oriented pads, not designed for low/street temps.

Don't feel limited by your pad shape. Even if you don't see it listed in a catalog chances are it can be made. I know if you send Carbotech your used backing plates they'll put any of their pad materials on it, or clone the shape of it. (I forget which.) I imagine most other brake pad companies will do the same thing.

Sounds like they're track-oriented pads, not designed for low/street temps.

It's marketed as a performance street pad that can tolerate some use at the track. They work just fine cold. The DS2500 has a bit of a reputation for uneven deposits however. They are okay if I do a proper bedding procedure every few days to keep that transfer layer intact.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Hrmm...

I drove an RX-8 with DS2500's recently. They felt quite nice to me, good bite and grip while still easy to modulate, with no sign of uneven deposits. They were loud though. Nothing like unbedded XP10's on the street loud, but they still squealed too much for my taste. I'd go with something milder for a street pad.

Depends how you drive the DS2500. If you do much low speed driving you wear the transfer layer quite easily, and I believe unevenly. If you only thrash the car around you probably won't have problems. I don't have a problem with noise. Like I said, I only have hearsay and rumor to go on that the F404 is indeed a DS2500 or a close relative. This could be one of the things that is different.

I may have to go to a milder pad to cure this, and just stop charging so hard down pass roads so I don't melt them. Not quite ready to fork out the cubic dollars for the Project Mu pads, even though it seems to cover all bases for me.

I'm surprised the Stoptech street performance pads haven't gotten much mention on here. Currently my favorite.

Doesn't have quite the hot bite of a DS2500 (µ= 0.4 vs 0.46), but costs a lot less, has great cold bite, and make a lot less noise.

I've narrowed it down to the ebc yellow and carbotech compound 1521 (bobcats)

Same here I guess, based on opinions I've been reading. I just want whichever is most grabby, especially cold, since this car is a daily driver and nothing else.

I know a lot of people on my 3000GT forums do not like hawk products at all. Many people loved them when they were new but as they aged they lost their grip. Many reported that they couldn't engage the abs after one or two winters. Carbotechs are really liked by the road course crowd since all their pads are interchangeable... No new bed in procedure is needed.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

• 8 months later...

reviving an old thread...

brakes were feeling pretty horrible lately so I decided it was time to tear them down for inspection. both rears and one front corner had pads (Hawk HPS) where the friction material delaminated from the backing plate. the bad front corner was about 1/4 to 1/3 separated and the rears were about half gone. the failure was right at the interface between the friction material and backing plate. all corners had even pad wear and about 50% pad left. the friction material had bent away from the backing plate and was acting like a little spring. no wonder the pedal felt so bad.

WTF Hawk... friction material delamination is supposed to be a thing of the past. anyway, Stoptech pads and rotors are in now and I'm off to seat the new set.

I'd contact Hawk about that, not normal, not a common experience.

I've seen this about 1 or 2x in the over 10+ years we've been installing Hawk HPS Pads on client cars. Probably do 200-300 sets a year.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/145749898/original.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://www.whiteline.com.au/images/logos/perf1.jpg

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.

Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

I had a full set on my 2006 sti, I ran quite a few auto-x's with them and can't say I ever had a problem with them. But I also never used anything else besides stock.

On my 05 LGT, I was planning on going with the HPS's again. However I was shown a cheaper set of pads, the stoptech street performance, that are a bit cheaper and decided to go with those.

Archived