LegacyGT.com

Official 5th Generation Suspension Thread

Time for me to start doing a lot of research in this area. Is there a particular reason why I'd want to use struts instead of coils? My application would be strictly daily driving.

You said it.

Although, a decent set of coilovers with the right springs and valving will make the drive even better.

The lure of the konis when it comes time to replace...it costs maybe $600 for new shocks all around with zero downtime versus either buying a new set of coilovers or sending out for work while your car sits for a few days.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

If you can hold out, I think coppertone mentioned he'd be parting out alotta his aftermarket stuff.

Oh, holding out isn't a problem at all. Ideally, I'd like to hold out until next year. I've spent about 2500 on the car in the last month, and still have at least a grand to spend in October. I'd like to not also have to spend money on child support and alimony.

Ultimately, I was considering a specific pair of coils that are available, and if they'd meet my needs. Not knowing about aftermarket suspensions, I was considering coils so that I could fit more rim. But, hasty isn't my style and I like to do a lot more digging before I pull the trigger on anything.

I was just guessing which "specific" coilovers you were referring to. Lol!

Oh, you're not wrong. I just find it funny that within the span of 5 minutes, you recommend struts, and then coils.

Originally, I was planning (eventually) to go with Koni's, mainly because I've never had coils before and know almost nothing about them or why I'd want to switch to them. I'm hoping to rectify that gap in my knowledge. But, Fred appears to be on a time table which is probably quite a bit faster than I'm prepared to operate at, if I end up deciding on coils at all.

You can't go wrong with Fred's coilovers.

Yes you can if you start holding 1.2 laterl G's under WOT at high RPM ;)

I think the price point is getting low enough that even if the entire set were rebuilt before being installed, it would be several hundred dollars cheaper than brand new.

I wonder if they can increase the valving during the rebuild? Valved higher for the 450# springs...now that would be really sweet!

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

Not sure if this is a suspension issue exactly but Im curious about what kind of issues you can run into by running different tire sizes, For instance, if Im running the stock tires now at 225/45/18 and change to a 225/50/18, will that lead to only bad mileage and speedo accuracy or will it cause more wear than you could want?

Also, what if I kept the same tire width/height but went with a 17 inch rim instead of 18?

Nothing wrong with plus sizing, it'll just throw your speed off a bit. It'll read about 2mph low at 60mph. I plan on going 225/50R18 for winter tires.

Oh and if you run a 225/50R17 it will be just a tiny bit smaller than the 225/45R18. 225/50R18 would be about an inch taller than 225/50R17.

Edited by Unsp0kn

Not sure if this is a suspension issue exactly but Im curious about what kind of issues you can run into by running different tire sizes, For instance, if Im running the stock tires now at 225/45/18 and change to a 225/50/18, will that lead to only bad mileage and speedo accuracy or will it cause more wear than you could want?

Also, what if I kept the same tire width/height but went with a 17 inch rim instead of 18?

FWIW i think 17's with a large profile tire (probably something like a 55 or a 50 if you go wide) looks super racecar. I have 215/55/17's as my winter tires and i love the look. plus they actually make my speedo perfectly accurate rather than the slightly high reading that most modern cars get from the factory

I think you'll only run into issues if you go with different sized wheels/tires within the set. As long as they are all the same, you are fine

I've gone through this thread in the past trying to get a feel for the difference between the Koni's and the RCE Bilstein, but the comments I've found are from people that have run one or the other not both.

It's finally time to decide and I was hoping someone that has actually run both could give me a comparison of what they though of each, pro cons?

Just trying to eliminate the 70's caddie ride and get something more like a VW ride out of it.

Thanks

My .02, I've been looking at options for a while now and Im looking for something stiff, but responsive without having the occassional bouncing or PITA every time I hit a pothole. What i've found is if you dont go coilovers then the custom koni setup some have done here is the way to go. There are definitely more options out there and some will attest that their ride is perfect so it really comes down to what your ride preference is.