LegacyGT.com

Official 5th Generation Suspension Thread

The RCE Blacks and Bilsteins were designed for each other as a pair. Take a look at the spring rates posted in this thread or a different one and there will be part of the answer. There is very little travel to the bump stops. If the springs shorten the travel too much, then the car may be at the suspension limit a lot and be a very jarring ride.

If the springs are working with OEM shocks then it only gets better with the Bilsteins.

[ame=http://www.flickr.com/photos/98038895@N05/9164670046/]DSC_0393 | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame]

[ame=http://www.flickr.com/photos/98038895@N05/9164670046/]DSC_0393 | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame] by stunami32, on Flickr

[ame=http://www.flickr.com/photos/98038895@N05/9162445723/]DSC_0403 | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame]

[ame=http://www.flickr.com/photos/98038895@N05/9162445723/]DSC_0403 | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame] by stunami32, on Flickr

[ame=http://www.flickr.com/photos/98038895@N05/9164667406/]DSC_0402 | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame]

[ame=http://www.flickr.com/photos/98038895@N05/9164667406/]DSC_0402 | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame] by stunami32, on Flickr

[ame=http://www.flickr.com/photos/98038895@N05/9162443431/]DSC_0405 | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame]

[ame=http://www.flickr.com/photos/98038895@N05/9162443431/]DSC_0405 | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame] by stunami32, on Flickr

Got the TEIN BASIS today from kingluke, can't wait for the install and handling improvements along with visual appeal

Got L3go's Tein street basis coilovers installed over the weekend. These are the first coilovers I've owned and I like the way they ride. They don't feel too firm to me but after driving around on them a couple of days I seem to be getting some additional cabin rattles/noises that I was hoping I wouldn't have. They are minor but they are there.

Is the additional firmness in bumps due mainly to compression settings of the damper or the spring rate? Would I be able to eliminate some of this with Tarmac 2's/KW V3's where I could turn down the compression settings?

Will look forward to your review. Have you had other coilovers in the past? I'm coming from RCE's on stock struts for about 20k miles (which have gone seriously downhill the last 5k). I didn't have this additional noise on that setup. The Tein coilovers themselves are completely silent. Swapping out the RCE/stock strut combo to the Teins got rid of some suspension noise I was having in the front.

No other coilovers on past vehicles I can only compare to other subies I've been in. My springs to be honest are dead quiet, even over large speed bumps. On low speed turns you can hear a Lil pop every now and then but I know its from my front sway bar.

feesh, the springs on the Teins are quite a bit stiffer than your RCE's. I suspect the new rattles are a result of the stiffness of the springs not the compression damping. Cockpit rattles increased when I put my H&R springs on. It's just a trade-off, and a consequence of physics. A cable or panel or interface between objects has a given amount of tension or stiffness to it. When the springs are stiffer, the shocks that the car experiences from road bumps is transmitted differently through the car causing those objects to reach their thresholds more rapidly, resulting in rattles and creaks.

Thanks Joe. Yes, I had a feeling it's more due to the spring rate than the compression of the damper. The Tein's actually take bumps quite fantastically. If the compression was set too high on them I'd think I'd feel bumps more dramatically. Rates on the Tein's are 336/280 vs 240/245 for RCE.

When I did the install I also set my RSB to 22mm. Last night I set it back to the 21mm setting and that has alleviated some of my additional noise. The last time I had the bar on the 22mm setting was when I was on stock springs/shocks and I think I remember at that time the setting caused me some extra rattles/noises. Too bad because I love the feeling of the 22mm setting. Oh well, tradeoffs.

Just go all the way to the 23mm setting. I went from 21 to 23 just two weeks ago and it was like I put a whole new swaybar on. No new rattles at all. Give it a try, you may find that the frequency being transmitted into the cockpit is different than the 22mm setting and those rattles won't happen.

Feesh, I just remembered too, those Tein springs are going to be linear, whereas the RCE's were progressive, so even the first 1/4" of compresson travel is probably going to be a little harsher and contribute more to rattles.

Just go all the way to the 23mm setting. I went from 21 to 23 just two weeks ago and it was like I put a whole new swaybar on. No new rattles at all. Give it a try, you may find that the frequency being transmitted into the cockpit is different than the 22mm setting and those rattles won't happen.

Did this yesterday. And you were quite right. It rides just like the 21mm setting, only better. I don't get the extra vibration that I get from the 22mm setting. I never used this setting previously as I thought it would just cause more vibration the stiffer I went. After inspecting underneath, the 22mm setting makes the hump in the bar make the most contact with the spare tire well. At the other settings the bar is slightly tilted moving the hump away from the well a couple mm. Thanks :)

And Koni's are on order. I was cleaning up my stock struts today and realized why the ride had gotten bad. The driver side strut is completely blown. Oil all over the spring seat and no resistance in the strut.

• 1 month later...
2011 lgt oem struts with aftermarket springs onto 2012 2.5i with 18 x 8 32 mm offset rim. tires 225/45/18. Any compatibility issues there? Wasn't planning to lower but getting tired of wheel gap.... Edited by Alleya

2011 lgt oem struts with aftermarket springs onto 2012 2.5i with 18 x 8 32 mm offset rim. tires 225/45/18. Any compatibility issues there? Wasn't planning to lower but getting tired of wheel gap....

You might need to roll fenders if you go really low. I've noticed on my liberty that the front fenders are already rolled a bit and the rears arn't from factory.

• 3 weeks later...

Confirmed Tanabe Sustec Pro S-0C for 11+ WRX will work on our cars.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/tanabe-sustec-pro-s-0c-coilovers-installed-213139.html

UPDATE: Can't recommend because of very little travel for spring rate in front. Use at your own risk.

UPDATE 2: Swapped front springs for 6K and they seem to work fine, no bump stop issues. Again, use at your own risk.

Edited by feesh

Another question, I ordered my Tein coilovers today and I might do the install this weekend. Will it damage my tires a lot if I don't get an alignment for a few weeks until my wheels that are being made get here? Should I just wait to install all if it at once and then get an alignment?

You will want the new springs to settle for at least 300 miles before your alignment, so no, as long as you get the front camber bolts in roughly in the same orientation as they came out. An alignment isn't necessary immediately.

Another question, I ordered my Tein coilovers today and I might do the install this weekend. Will it damage my tires a lot if I don't get an alignment for a few weeks until my wheels that are being made get here? Should I just wait to install all if it at once and then get an alignment?

Yes, you can completely destroy your tires with a big change in suspension components and no alignment. It's not guaranteed, but it is a distinct possibility. Particularly if you pick up some toe in the process.

I'd recommend an alignment immediately. I've seen and heard of multiple people trashing tires in a few hundred miles. Get two alignments if necessary.

Depends how low you go and how much camber you are willing to live with in the rear.

I went 500 miles before my alignment after a 1-1/4" drop. No indication of any handling issues or adverse tire wear. But then again, I am still on stock rubber.