LegacyGT.com

2012 Subaru Impreza....

godwhomismike

I really think the WRX/STI will either stay on the same platform and lose the Impreza brand (as they have shyed away from it in the past few years, it even has it's own option on the website, not as a submodel of the impreza)

This will allow them to keep a small tuner car, bring in a 2.0 turbo and still get some power with a little better effiency.

Or they may use the FT-86 as the new platform for the WRX. Either way, I won't be too surprised if the WRX/STI does not carry over into the larger impreza.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The new impreza is so foul and bloated

FB20 is crock of sh$T if it goes into the Legacy that is the end of my love affair with this brand. I will still be able to find excitement in the BL as I fell in love with the BE and BL to start with but I will not be buying any BM Legacy nor any Post 2012 WRX/STi.

I wouldn't go that far. A 2.0 liter powers some of Subarus all-time great cars. A 2.0 liter with twin scroll turbo and direct injection can make some great power. Subaru just has to put that package together. Hyundai did it. Subaru needs to follow suit for USDM markets.

Direct injection is becoming a killer, a killer of engines. I am not sold on DI being a reliable tech yet until they can figure out how to deal with the carbon build up issues that many manufactures are having with their DI engines. Not to mention the high pressure fuel pump problems that BMW and other are having which I don't think has been reliably fixed just yet.

I expect that a 2.5 liter version will also come up but that they start with a 2.0 liter to work out any major quirks. And I also expect a turbo version some time in the future.

Also be aware that the torque curve is a bit different on the FB - more torque in the rpm range you usually drive the car.

453747.png

I expect that a 2.5 liter version will also come up but that they start with a 2.0 liter to work out any major quirks. And I also expect a turbo version some time in the future.

Also be aware that the torque curve is a bit different on the FB - more torque in the rpm range you usually drive the car.

Th FB is a deceptive engine Subaru simply used the same skewed throttle mapping table as it did in the 05+ Vehicles I imagine a log would yield a tip in table and a torque request that that maxes out to 100% by 30% throttle. It jsut makes the drive feel like there is more power when there literally is not and the FB is down 22 ponies out the gate. This is also why stomping on the gas past 60% throttle is useless in all the Subaru DBW vehicles.

Let me state that the goal is to SELL cars and this car will sell hell the above comment about AWD and 36mpg will def make a lot of commuting Civic and Corolla owners thinks twice:)

The FB20 is a people mover JUST like the EJ251/2/3/4 Subaru has packed a lot into a small package the interior is very nice and AWD is solid and i can even make myself like the styling but I guess I am more against the assimilation aspect of the brand direction if that makes since. :redface:

Gee-Otto,

I beleive you have hit the head on the nail. Believe it or not Subaru is out there to make money, period. In the past they built sales by creating a niche line that noone else offered. Now that AWD is becoming more and more available, they need to get ahead elsewhere. MPG is what's hot now.

We can debate the superiority of Subaru's AWD system, but the fact is most consumers could care less. Most people that buy AWD don't ever encounter a situation that they couldn't have handled without it (this includes us Subaru owners) AWD adds to performance and safety undoubtedly, but in most cases a 2wd would get through if driven properly.

What isn't debatable is the cold hard facts, MPGs are calculated the same on every car, and at 36mpg, Subaru is going to gain even more sales.

Gee-Otto,

Most people that buy AWD don't ever encounter a situation that they couldn't have handled without it (this includes us Subaru owners) AWD adds to performance and safety undoubtedly, but in most cases a 2wd would get through if driven properly.

Maybe for most people, but I can't tell you how much easier it is just to get out of my driveway in the winter now! My apartment in the Poconos has a driveway on a d**n hill, and I've never gotten stuck in the Legacy, where I've been stuck quite a few times in my previous fwd cars!

When you look at all of the latest and most popular offerings from domestics and imports, they are all compact, high-efficiency models because that is what many people are buying. Look at the Chevy Cruz, Ford Focus, Hyndai Accent, etal and they are all compacts offering quality interior materials, lots of usable interior space, with up level technology and features (bluetooth integration, satnav/entertainment systems, etc.) in a small, cheap, and efficient package. I sat in a Cruz at an environmental fair outside of the Senate last year and was impressed with the quality of the interior. It looked like a baby Infiniti with cloth, albeit nice, seats.

The pre-refresh impreza is not competitive in any of these manners but this refreshed model adds improved interior features and materials, space, and now fuel economy. It is no faster nor slower than the previous model but is still competitive with others in its category. Now, you can have a car with AWD that gets almost the same fuel economy as its competitors.

Maybe for most people, but I can't tell you how much easier it is just to get out of my driveway in the winter now! My apartment in the Poconos has a driveway on a d**n hill, and I've never gotten stuck in the Legacy, where I've been stuck quite a few times in my previous fwd cars!

That's why you need snow tires. AWD helps you go, it doesn't help you stop or turn.

That's why you need snow tires. AWD helps you go, it doesn't help you stop or turn.

I got snow tires for my Saturn SL2 after my first winter in the Poconos way back in 2000/2001. They definitely made a difference, but I still had problems with my driveway and a few hills on the way to work. I learned how to deal with it, which sometimes involved disabling the traction control! But with my Subaru, I never had any problems even with the stock all seasons (I just replaced the stock Yokohamas with Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires this past January...)

AWD helps you go, it doesn't help you stop

I say this frequently to people who seem convinced that AWD is invincible. Those are usually the SUV people in a ditch with all-season tires during a snowstorm.

FWD or RWD with good snow tires > AWD without snow tires for most people's winter driving environment. (AWD with snows wins!)

I might argue the point about AWD helping you turn - it can help you turn in certain situations and with some experience; it can also get you in a bit of trouble with inexperience.

IMHO, etc.

I got snow tires for my Saturn SL2 after my first winter in the Poconos way back in 2000/2001. They definitely made a difference, but I still had problems with my driveway and a few hills on the way to work. I learned how to deal with it, which sometimes involved disabling the traction control! But with my Subaru, I never had any problems even with the stock all seasons (I just replaced the stock Yokohamas with Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires this past January...)

Yep, I'm with you. My parent's driveway is impossible to get up during the winter with a FWD car (1 maxima with 4 blizzaks, and 1 camry with 4 snows (forget brand)). It's a huge slope that levels out, and right at the top of the slope it always turns to pure ice. Only way to get up is to park at the bottom, walk up, scrape as much as you can, blanket it in salt, and then get a speeding start to get up. Usually takes about 30 min.

Or, I just drove up with my LGT with stock RE92s :lol:

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

nemo... my favorite B4 SOA Blog instigator! :lol:

:lol::lol:

It's funny, I wondered where he was, then the 2012 Impreza was revealed and he started popping up again ;)

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm not to impressed with the civic like tiny window where my wrx's mirror attaches. Interior is a big MEH.

Since the Impreza actually is the cheaper car it's understandable. You don't buy one and expect luxury, you buy one because you are cutting costs.

453747.png

The split window by the mirrors could have been done nicely. I doubt it cost much, if anything at all to style that a bit more nicely.

From the photos the interior looks like a step up from the previous model. One can only really tell by sitting inside of it however.

Oh wow I didn't see this until today.

http://cdn.images.autocar.co.uk/612x408FFFFFFF/Car/Subaru/Subaru-2041111110379711600x1060.jpg

It looks like the automatic shift panel has changed to the bland one... I really liked how it was tiered and partially separate for the previous automatic transmissions in Subarus. It made accidentally shifting less probable. It also had that new technology feel to it. I'm going to miss that but I've always been happy that the mechanical parking brake is coming back.

Archived