LegacyGT.com

2012 Subaru Impreza....

godwhomismike

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How is cruise control not a standard feature on a car in 2011? We're not talking about an econobox like a Daewoo/Chevy Aveo here.

I agree. I'm a little peeved about that. We wanted to buy the base CVT but after I found out that it has no cruise, paddles, and has 15" steel wheels, we may be upping for the premium. It's the same price for the MY12 and MY11, but you can def tell they cut features in the base model :/

How is cruise control not a standard feature on a car in 2011? We're not talking about an econobox like a Daewoo/Chevy Aveo here.

The same reason why air conditioning isn't standard on all vehicles sold in the U.S.

The same reason why air conditioning isn't standard on all vehicles sold in the U.S.

Should have been more specific - standard on an ~$18K car. It's understandable on something cheap like an Aveo, Accent or Yaris.

Cruise control has been standard on all Imprezas since 2003.

Also not liking how they went back to 15" wheels, 16's have been standard an all trims since 2005 (earlier for sedans).

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

we are already getting people in the dealer asking if they are here yet!! i cant wait until these things come, we will have something that will compete against the Civic and if people can get there head out of there ass and see that Honda is making pos now we can beat them!!!

we are already getting people in the dealer asking if they are here yet!! i cant wait until these things come, we will have something that will compete against the Civic and if people can get there head out of there ass and see that Honda is making pos now we can beat them!!!

so what's the scoop in invoice pricing?? lol

Looks like the Toyota Matrix and Pontiac Vibe.

I thought the same thing when I first saw the hatch photos. I just don't like the boxy rear. I much prefer the prior gen hatch, seems more sleek.

I do like the redesign overall, and think the sedan looks great. Which scares me that hatch sales will drop because of poor execution aesthetically, so Subaru will assume no one wants one and drop it from the line up, instead of making a good looking one...:spin:

looks pretty generic.

- "choose our car because it's bland".

- "no, choose our car because its bland".

- "no, choose our car because its bland".

kinda like this

a little Ironic... don't ya think? ;)

Personally I like the new look head on, just don't like the execution of the hatch.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110905/OEM04/309059985/1216

Mostly some old news. However I am definitely looking forward to the hybrid 2012 Subaru Impreza becoming a reality, the new small crossover, Forester refresh, and the compact plug-in hybrid. ;D

Subaru plans to roll out three new vehicles over the next three years: the BRZ coupe developed jointly with Toyota, a hybrid and a compact crossover.

Subaru executives say vehicles are being developed for the U.S. market rather than for Japan because the company can make a bigger profit in the United States.

Takeshi Tachimori, CEO of Subaru of America, said models previously targeted for Japan weren't big enough or properly equipped to compete in the United States.

So in recent years, Subaru has redesigned the Forester, Legacy and Outback for the United States. The current models are larger and roomier than their predecessors and filled with features U.S. buyers demand, such as iPod and Bluetooth connections.

The 2012 Impreza that goes on sale in November is the last of Subaru's four core U.S. models to be redesigned for this market.

BRZ: The lightweight two-door developed with Toyota will go on sale next spring. The rear-drive 2+2 coupe, about the size of the Mazda MX-5 Miata, will use Subaru's 2.0-liter, horizontally-opposed four-cylinder boxer engine. The BRZ will be positioned between the Legacy and the Impreza and will be the only Subaru sold in the United States without all-wheel drive.

Forester: The crossover will be freshened in the 2013 model year.

Impreza: The redesigned 2012 compact's launch has been pushed back two months until November because of production delays after the March earthquake and tsunami in Japan. The redesigned sedan and five-door hatchback get two more inches of back-seat legroom than their predecessors. But overall exterior dimensions are unchanged.

A 148-hp 2.0-liter four-cylinder boxer engine replaces the 170-hp 2.5-liter four-cylinder boxer engine. The Impreza will be available with iPod and Bluetooth connectivity, high-definition radio and navigation.

There are reports that a hybrid will be offered, with the hybrid technology coming from Toyota.

Subaru has priced the 2012 Impreza nearly the same as the outgoing Impreza. The base sticker price is $18,245, including destination, for the four-door model.

WRX/STI: Redesigned versions of the high-performance models are expected in the 2014 model year. According to reports, the redesigned WRX and STI get new sheet metal, sportier styling and will be positioned as high-performance coupes rather than Impreza derivatives. They also will get a new turbo or supercharged engine with nearly 300 hp for the highest trim model.

Outback/Legacy: The U.S.-built Legacy sedan and Outback wagon are only a year old. No changes are expected until the 2014 model year.

Small crossover: A small cross-over the size of the Impreza will come to the United States in the 2013 or 2014 model year. A concept version, the XV, was shown at the Shanghai auto show in April. It would compete with the Honda CR-V and Toyota RAV4. Subaru has not decided on a name for the production vehicle.

Tribeca: Subaru officials say they have not decided whether to stick with the seven-seat SUV, but because of slow sales no second-generation model is in development.

Hybrid: A compact plug-in hybrid will go on sale in 2013 using Toyota technology.

• 4 weeks later...

Subaru seems kinda lazy sometimes. I mean 148HP on a brand new develouped 2L, that seems kinda medicore at best.

Couldnt they have introduced direct injection at this time, and let people enjoy a "up to date" subaru for a change. I mean, even the ford focus puts out 160 smooth HP's with its DI 2.0L.

I think honda has had a 160HP 2Litre for over 5 years now,on the base rsx and csx.

http://www.torquenews.com/108/subaru-pricing-extensive-details-released-2012-subaru-impreza

I really want my sister to get into the Impreza instead of a Corolla, in which she likes both, but my Dad keeps pushing her towards the Toyota. It would be nice to have an even number of Subarus and Toyotas in our family (Mom - RAV4, Dad - Venza). Plus, I kinda like the new Impreza.

The 2012 Subaru Impreza, which has standard all-wheel drive, will start at the base price of $17,495, which is what the 2011 Subaru Impreza sold for. The next most expensive Impreza is the 2.0 Premium at $18,795, which is $710 less than a Honda Civic EX. The Impreza 2.0 Limited four-door sedan starts at $21,595. The 2.0 Sport Premium five-door hatchback starts at $20,295. The hatchback in Limited trim with a continuously variable transmission starts at $22,595.

Driving impressions of the 2012 Subaru Impreza are embargoed until Monday, Oct. 3rd. Subaru will let automotive journalists drive the Impreza today from Manhattan north to the Berkshires in Massachusetts, finally ending up on the campus of Yale in New Haven, Conn.

Akihide Takeuchi, project general manager, has the unique perspective of working on both the third generation Subaru Impreza and the current 2012 model. He said Subaru recognized deficiencies in the Impreza that were addressed: styling and fuel efficiency. “We want enhancements to be visible to our customers,” he said.

Impreza is going to be offered in all-wheel drive in both the four-door sedan and five-door hatchback trim levels. The most staggering detail of the Impreza is its fuel economy: 36-mpg highway and 27-mpg city for a combined rating of 30 mpg overall. As Subaru points out, it gets better city fuel economy than the much smaller Fiat 500. The 2012 Subaru Impreza is the most fuel-efficient all-wheel drive on the market including smaller vehicles like the Suzuki SX4.

Cruising range for the Subaru Impreza is 523 miles, up 67 miles from the 2011 Impreza, in spite of a smaller gas tank. That gives the current Impreza a better range than the Chevrolet Cruze, Honda Civic, Mazda3 and Hyundai Elantra – none of which offer all-wheel drive.

Subaru Impreza is going to be initially powered by the 2.0-liter engine first introduced in the 2011 Subaru Forrester. It was Subaru’s first new engine in 20 years. Subaru says it has contributed to a 10 percent enhancement in fuel efficiency with better acceleration.

OK, so the Subaru Impreza is never going to be accused of being a sports sedan but it at long last has a 0-60 time in the single digits – just barely. Subaru said the 2012 Impreza with a continuously variable transmission designed for the Impreza can jump to 60 in 9.8 seconds, an improvement from the previous 10.3 seconds. (Subaru said it has not tested the five-speed manual.) The 2.0-liter engine is rated at 148 horsepower at 6200 rpm and 145 lb. ft. of torque at 4200 rpm.

On the styling front, Subaru has moved the A-pillar (where the windshield meets the side of your vehicle) forward eight inches. The hood is shorter and the wheelbase is one-inch longer, which contributes to the rear legroom increasing two inches (thanks to scalloped front seats that add another inch). The door openings are also wider for easier entry and exit, as well as making it simpler to load cargo in the backseat (such as televisions). The shoulder line has also been lowered for better visibility.

Takeuchi addressed what has become common wisdom in the industry, “Compact cars with convenient body sizes and fuel efficiency have gained traction in this economy,” he said.

Subaru admitted something few manufacturers do – it is targeting older customers with the 2012 Impreza. Companies like Scion claim they’re going for the hip, twenty-somethings but end up selling a greater percentage of their vehicles to AARP members. Subaru still claims Generation Y and the Millennials will buy the Impreza but it’s refreshing to see a company admit older consumers exist.

Back on the technical side, the 2012 Subaru Impreza comes with four-wheel disc brakes with return springs added to the front brake pads for drag reduction. The vehicle also has brake override to prevent unintended acceleration. The roof crush strength rating is four times the vehicle’s weight, which is better than the federal standards of three times a vehicle’s weight. Also on the safety front, driver’s side knee airbags have been added.

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

My local dealer doesn't have any yet :(

My local one don't "have" them as well. One dealer, however, had a demo sedan for a day on Monday, and another one I dropped by to pick-up some parts had a hatch, driven by a regional rep, instructing sales staff on how to sell more of these. :)

Archived