LegacyGT.com

2012 Subaru Impreza....

godwhomismike

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got a Camellia Red Pearl Sedan with CVT. I love how it drives and handles. Only thing I didn't realize is that, apparently, the CVT is offered with and without 6-spd Manual Mode, and my window sticker claims I have Manual Mode but I actually don't. And the only place I can find that says anything about the CVT without paddle shifters is in my owner's manual.

Edit: The word is that the base model (2.0i) doesn't come with paddle shifters or manual mode. Instead of "M" there is a selection designated "L" next to "D".

The 12 Imprezas should have came with 180 HP and 185LBS torque and a 6-7 speed Automatic as well as with the 5-6 speed manual. The CVT is such a fail i dont know why they decided on that.:spin: CVT transmissions are terrible,they sap drivetrain power are gutless,soulless and sure as hell not fun. My moms old Murano had the CVT and it was like a rubber band,no shift feel no nothing. It was just too artificial feeling. Plus when a CVT takes a $hit you have to get a whole new transmission they can't be rebuilt. Whereas geared transmissions can be rebuilt. CVT'S must die in a fire!

Better fuel economy is why...

^What he said. The '12 Impreza is geared toward the masses wanting fuel economy with AWD. If you want performance, head on over to the WRX/STi.

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

The 12 Imprezas should have came with 180 HP and 185LBS torque and a 6-7 speed Automatic as well as with the 5-6 speed manual. The CVT is such a fail i dont know why they decided on that.:spin: CVT transmissions are terrible,they sap drivetrain power are gutless,soulless and sure as hell not fun. My moms old Murano had the CVT and it was like a rubber band,no shift feel no nothing. It was just too artificial feeling. Plus when a CVT takes a $hit you have to get a whole new transmission they can't be rebuilt. Whereas geared transmissions can be rebuilt. CVT'S must die in a fire!

If the only CVT I had driven was the rental Dodge Caliber I had I would agree with you. However the new Subaru CVT's are a great piece of engineering. So you're spinning your head for nothing. Stick to manual turbos if you want fun other wise most of us are just driving to work.

I second this ^^^

I drove a Murano w/ CVT before buying my Tribeca, and didn't like it. RPM wandering and surging while driving on a level highway, some of the rubber-band effect. Generally good, but somewhat annoying.

I drove both the Legacy w/ CVT when it came out, and the new Impreza w/ CVT - they're both good. The Impreza surprised me with its sprightly acceleration - much better than expected.

The subaru Lineatronic is very well engineered, as-in, puts all the rest to shame. Steel mesh belt versus rubber or synthetic belts and better logic and shift mechanisms for the manual mode. But, then again, I wouldn't expect anything less from Subaru's engineers... function, then form.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I need to drive both the CVT and the 5MT '12 Impreza. I've always been a manual transmission person, but the CVT gets slightly better mpg, so I'll give it a drive and see how I like it.

I plan on doing the same. Shortline and go Subaru supposedly have about 50 in stock. Mostly base cvt tho.

^What he said. The '12 Impreza is geared toward the masses wanting fuel economy with AWD. If you want performance, head on over to the WRX/STi.

Werd. Prefect civic/focus alternative for those of us driving around all day for work with the occassional winter snow falls.

Funny, I got two Tito Boy's in my family. Don't think any live in Jersey tho :lol:

Nissan really screwed up with the Murano cvt. It was plagued with problems, ran like crap and has wed sites dedicated to killing it. The Subaru cvt is in a league of it's own and far superior to an auto tranny. I agree that a car that size is more fun with a stick though.

http://www.nissanassist.com/ProgramDetails.php

You would have probably been arguing that they should throw 4 barrel or dual carbs on cars in the 80's instead of the stupid Fuel Injection...

CVTs ARE the next evolution of automatics. Just as fuel injection offered minimal gains over carbs when it first came out, after a few years of research and implementation, flaws will be found and improved upon.

I have been very impressed with the CVT in my OB, honestly the only way I can tell it isn't an EAT is because it isn't hunting up and down for the right gear when I try to accelerate on the highway, it just accelerates. And when you need that umph, if you slam the gas, it will kick down and rev up. If I were in the market for an auto in my next car, I would much prefer a CVT over an EAT. Alas for my next car (replacing my Hyunda, not my OB) a MT is a must.

Nissan really screwed up with the Murano cvt. It was plagued with problems, ran like crap and has wed sites dedicated to killing it. The Subaru cvt is in a league of it's own and far superior to an auto tranny. I agree that a car that size is more fun with a stick though.

http://www.nissanassist.com/ProgramDetails.php

Talking out of your ass again. There are very few issues with the CVT in the Murano and it has been praised in almost every review that I have read. CR shows solid red dots buy the transmission in this vehicle which indicates almost 0 problems. Many if not most of the problems with Nissan's CVT as well as others has been traced back to dealers and mechanics using the wrong fluid in them, especially shortly after their release. There are as many websites dedicated to every pet peeve and minor issue as there are stars in the sky, that is not a reliable indicator of reliability.:rolleyes:

Talking out of your ass again. There are very few issues with the CVT in the Murano and it has been praised in almost every review that I have read. CR shows solid red dots buy the transmission in this vehicle which indicates almost 0 problems. Many if not most of the problems with Nissan's CVT as well as others has been traced back to dealers and mechanics using the wrong fluid in them, especially shortly after their release. There are as many websites dedicated to every pet peeve and minor issue as there are stars in the sky, that is not a reliable indicator of reliability.:rolleyes:

You are so full of crap shriner monkey. Nissan voluntarily extended the warranty to cover dissatisfied customers and you have one posting in this thread telling you what a piece of crap it is and you deny it. You really have no credibility when you disagree with me just because I made you look bad....get over it punk.

http://perrya.hubpages.com/hub/Nissan-Refuses-to-Recall-Murano-Despite-Major-CVT-Problems

http://www.automotiveaddicts.com/8454/extended-powertrain-warranty-on-cvt-transmission-equipped-nissan-vehicles

You are so full of crap shriner monkey. Nissan voluntarily extended the warranty to cover dissatisfied customers and you have one posting in this thread telling you what a piece of crap it is and you deny it. You really have no credibility when you disagree with me just because I made you look bad....get over it punk.

http://perrya.hubpages.com/hub/Nissan-Refuses-to-Recall-Murano-Despite-Major-CVT-Problems

http://www.automotiveaddicts.com/8454/extended-powertrain-warranty-on-cvt-transmission-equipped-nissan-vehicles

You...made me, look bad? Heh. I think you have proven that you are more than capable of performing that task on your own more that once. What is you total locked threads now, 3? 4?

Your first link is obviously a disgruntled customer...with a random collection of a few complaints from other customers (some of which aren't even about the CVT) which cannot be verified. You must be as good at statistics as you are at physics. Second link just details the extended warranty program. NEVER in any of these articles does it mention that the reason for this program is because of reliability concerns. It is only to reassure customers about after warranty cost concerns and purely as an act of good will. I guess you can add reading comprehension to your growing list of fails.

I worked as a service advisor for a Nissan dealer for about a year. Nissan has the largest "good will" program I have seen from any manufacturer. It was amazing the things they would do for customers. One example was that they covered 50% of an engine job at 70k miles bc the guy had owned nissans exclusively for 20 years. No other manufacture I have worked for has ever done this. And that's just one of multiple things I can attest to. As far as the cvt warranty, many manufacturers have extended length warranties for these transmissions. Chrysler does and won't even let us open them up under warranty.
I'm a native of South Carolina. I am a dying breed.

shriner monkey, the previous poster was comparing the subaru cvt to a murano cvt with problems. That is hardly a fair comparison and you arguing that the murano cvt tranny was good is hardly relevant. You were just looking for something to argue about.

Nissan's CVT is junk, particularly in AWD configuation. Talk about a rubber band with no torque delivery.

Good overall view of the three pillars of vehicle dynamics: Traction; Stability; and Agility. To see the Murano CVT-based AWD in "in-action" go to time-mark 7:49. One, it can't put power to the wheels and two, it can't move when needed.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7dVFY5CxT0]Subaru AWD vs. Everyone Else - YouTube[/ame]

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Nissan's CVT is junk, particularly in AWD configuation. Talk about a rubber band with no torque delivery.

Good overall view of the three pillars of vehicle dynamics: Traction; Stability; and Agility. To see the Murano CVT-based AWD in "in-action" go to time-mark 7:49. One, it can't put power to the wheels and two, it can't move when needed.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nd4t6PduOs]Distribution of Power - YouTube[/ame]

I remember seeing that. The murano just saw on the hill and did nothing. The Nissan cvt had some major flaws.

I remember seeing that. The murano just saw on the hill and did nothing. The Nissan cvt had some major flaws.

That was not a test of the CVT that was a test of the AWD configuration and transfer case. You do know the difference right? No torque delivery? A CVT delivers more of the available torque than a conventional automatic to the drive system because there are no slipping clutches or torque converters to sap energy. A CVT may not always choose the optimum "gear ratio" but it is inherently more efficient than a conventional automatic transmission. Seriously, you have proven time and again your knowledge of cars is non-existent.

Once again, you provide anecdotes instead of data.

Archived