LegacyGT.com

The Official Aftermarket Exhaust Thread

almondcookie

The engine makes the sound not the mufflers, they just "muffle" and tune the sound. It will sound like a boxer no matter what you do.

I understand, but the G35 and 350z have distinctly different sounds, and I think they have pretty much the same engine (no sarcasm here). The G and FX have a very distinct sound that I haven't heard anywhere else, I can only describe it as a smooth, higher pitched note. I wonder if that is attributed to the mufflers, and what it would sound like mated to our boxer engine.

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disagree that the two Nissan cars have 'distinctly' different sounds, they are 99% similar but the Z car most likely has less baffling as its a sports car and the G is a sports sedan (ie: more sound supression)

The G35 and Z sound that you are looking for have been carefully tuned from the factory. The engineers created that distinct sound after countless hours of testing and also from feedback from focus groups that eventually agreed that the sound was what they thought was a "great, pleasing performance" sound.

Just grabbing some G35 mufflers and slapping them on to an entirely different car from what they were originally calibrated for will give you a sound unlike anything you'd expect.

if you want the G35 sound, buy a G35.

you won't be able to emulate a VQ V6 sound from your 2.5L Boxer... unless you have some black magic which I am unfamiliar with :wink:

Good luck producing the same sound as the G35 or 350Z. I had an altima, which has the same 3.5VQ, and numerous members tried to emulate that sound but it never quite sounded the same. Mind you, the engine is transposed in the G35 and 350Z as compared to the fwd altima. I had a pretty good custom Borla setup which I plan on doing for the legacy here soon.

Altima Borla sound clip: https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/groesch/shared/100_0613.MOV

Enlight...there has been enough discussions regarding the boxer engine. The boxer "rumble" is from the unequal headers. You can try to change the exhaust sound by going for a different header design.

Why in hell does anyone want to change the boxer sound? Especially for the sake of sounding like a G35/350Z.:iam:

"Remember..."MODDING is a HOBBY:icon_bigg, not a BAAAD HABIT";) .

Enlight...there has been enough discussions regarding the boxer engine. The boxer "rumble" is from the unequal headers. You can try to change the exhaust sound by going for a different header design.

Why in hell does anyone want to change the boxer sound? Especially for the sake of sounding like a G35/350Z.:iam:

Totally agree. It is a Mystery.

Getting rid of the Boxer rumble makes it too close to any other buzz-can 4 cylinder car... why would you want to sound more like a Honda if you don't have to?

I understand if there are power considerations in going to equal-length... but...

I posted before, in this thread, about my opinion of the Prodrive axlebacks. I had them for 8 mos. in 05 LGT and loved them.

I now have the AVO Type 2 axlebacks for my 06 LGT. A little pricey than the Prodrives....plus Customs fees. A couple of hours driving around with them convinced me that they were worth the money.

If your preference is quiet but louder than stock, this is the set. No drones. Very subtle boxer rumble. The tips do not stick out like the Prodrives. The left and right edges of the mufflers stick out just a little bit from the rounded corners of the bumper.

I expect them to get louder after my DP shorty and Midpipe HFC are installed.

They might even sound good in a wagon.

Don't ask for "audio" and "video" clips 'cuz that is my handicap.:(

are you going to consider going for the AVO Y-pipe too?

Have you ever heard a Subaru boxer sound like this? Craziness, I'd swear I'm hearing an EVO, hehe.

http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/us_spec/subaru/sti/aps_sti.wmv

APS Equal-length headers...mmmmmmmm.....I don't know if I could give up the boxer rumble though...

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop/images/APS%20Header%20installed2%20RS.jpg

Jim..........Patagonian GT has some issues with the AVO Y- pipe. I believe it hangs too low. It also makes the exhaust sound louder. I'll stick with the stock and just go for the shorty DP and the HFC 3rd cat.
"Remember..."MODDING is a HOBBY:icon_bigg, not a BAAAD HABIT";) .

Totally agree. It is a Mystery.

Getting rid of the Boxer rumble makes it too close to any other buzz-can 4 cylinder car... why would you want to sound more like a Honda if you don't have to?

I understand if there are power considerations in going to equal-length... but...

Alright, I've been a member of this forum for a year and a half, I don't understand the need that some of you feel to ridicule my curiosity because it differs from your tastes. Chill out.

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anybody have a pic of the Perrin Catback installed on a wagon?

I had mine installed today and the tips are recessed quite a bit, meaning they don't come near the end of the bumper. I'm wondering if they sent me the sedan setup.

Thanks!

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Archived