LegacyGT.com

The Official Aftermarket Exhaust Thread

almondcookie

And Sube555 I agree about the Prodrive stuff - If I can swing it, I'll probably go with a full Prodrive setup. That's just a great system.

SBT

SBT,,you mite wanna rethink the Prodrive cans,,on a sedan they sound great,,but with a up and downpipe on a wagon they drone in the cabin especially with the windows closed.WRX_LGT/Rommel had the same problem I did. Same setup on a wagon.

I just sold mine(1 month old, ouch!) to a sedan guy and put the stockers back on.

Rudy

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rudy,

Good to know - were you with or without resonator? I had intended to keep a resonator if possible to cancel out some of the drone but keep the bark.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I had the same issues with Cobb DP and AVO CBE (with resonator). Off with the AVO cans and back on with the stockers. the PGT Frankenstein Stealthback ;)

Oh.......I put about 20sq ft of B-Quiet Ultimate in rear and the spare tire well to cut down resonance. No luck with that, but the car is quieter now. :)

SOCalGT (Fred) has the Greddy EVO cans on his with an UP/DP and I think the stock midpipe/Y (not sure on this). Can't remember whether it was with or without the resonator. In any case, I drove it for about 5-8 miles the other day at varying stages of throttle input and while it was definitely way louder than stock, it didn't seem to drone at highway speeds. You definitely heard the exhaust inside the wagon with the windows up and I could have lived with that but I'm not sure my family or my clients would welcome the intrusion. Daughter No. 1 would like it but No. 2, I'm not so sure. The wife would tolerate it around town, but not on any long trips or mountian running....:icon_sad:

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Rudy,

Good to know - were you with or without resonator? I had intended to keep a resonator if possible to cancel out some of the drone but keep the bark.

SBT

I had the stock resonator and y-pipe:icon_neut .I was going to try the Dynomatt soundproofing deal myself but Patagoniansand Rommels past threads made me decide against that.

Another fix I was going to try but didn't was a trick used by the WRX wagon guys,,It's called an "auger style" muffler.Basically it's a 3 inch/11inch spiral insert you would place inside the midpipe between the mid and ypipe and still retain your aftermarket mufflers..It's only $15 from Speedway Motors.With some minor mods it will fit our cars.Go to nasioc and search fr auger mufflers.The WRX guys seemed to think it worked.

Im thinking of going Patagonians route but and having a midpipe made without a resonator.AVO stuff is top notch but a tad pricey fr me.

Rudy

Are there any exhausts that actually sound rough rather than smooth? I don't like how smooth the exhaust sounds and was wondering if any of these exhausts actually make the note sound a little distorted. Maybe "raspy" is the word I'm looking for.

Well the boxer rumble comes mainly from the unequal-length headers, while the smoother sound comes from equal-length headers where exhaust pulses follow each other quite synchronized.

Hmm, will be interesting to see what it takes to keep it fairly quiet then.

stock mufflers and a cutout. I'm starting to think that is the best way to go for a wagon if the aesthetics aren't what is most important to you. loud when you want it, quiet when you don't....
getting out of the legacy game :cool:

So, does anyone think there would be much power loss if you add an aftermarket resonator along with the stocker and then go with a custom set up back to the tips?

I doubt you would lose more than a few horsepower. resonators are straight through and don't impede exhaust flow so much as tune the sound wave. but the stocker resonator and stock center pipe may be enough, especially if you retain some cats up front.

getting out of the legacy game :cool:

• 1 month later...

Thought I would add this.....

There was a rumor that the Crucial Racing catback (still under development, due out end of winter) was possibly moving from a dual twin tip design (M3 like) to an oval design. I confirmed with Jeremy that this is not the case. (pic is of Aussie "tuned by sti", but I hope this is what they come out with)

There's no way that will happen :-) .....dual tips on each muffler is the only design I would consider for the Legacy cars...

Jeremy

Bump for a great thread, I am torn on which way to go, I just got the cobb downpipe and looking for an axleback that flows well but isn't loud enough to wake the neigbors.

For anyone running the lachute oval cat back, thoughts?

whats up with this...i thought you were not going to "mod" your new car....lol

ted

• 2 weeks later...
if i do Crucial UP, DP, and Racepipe.. all catless... stock catback.. will my exhaust sound change any

you will hear it more but its is not that noticeable except for a slight burbling sound at idle and in very low revs.

at WOT it sounds meaner though :)

but also beware WG flutter. i dont mind the sound but most people complain about it

if i do Crucial UP, DP, and Racepipe.. all catless... stock catback.. will my exhaust sound change any?

it'll leak where the rp meets the catback. because it'll be a flat flange meeting up with the stock spring one.

Archived