LegacyGT.com

The Official Aftermarket Exhaust Thread

almondcookie

I paid $375 installed. I think there is a sound clip of magnaflows already at the beggining of this thread??

well i guess its a good thing i got quoted $300 for the magnaflows and piping.... but i wonder if thats still a good price because #14827's could be had for ~$103ea.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the magnaflows are on mine. i had the resonator removed... i am interested in hearing it WITH the resonator.

i think most places will ask for something around the 350-425 range. shop around and find the best deal.

why? are they too loud with the resonator out?

Not really, just a curiosity sort of thing.

I would say, and other people feel free to chime in, since I removed the resonator and changed the mufflers, the total "louder" sound can be broken down to ~40% resonator and ~60% mufflers. I had my friend rev the car slow and fast while I sat in the back (left and right) and in the trunk.

From an audio perspective, the resonator seemed to "give back" the middle and bass-ness of the exhaust. The growl or umph - if you will. The mufflers muffle so most of the middle to treble sound and the unique boxer sound can be really heard. There is a side effect that the sound (wagon in my case) will echo more inside and my amplify the sound more. Blank open trunk area sits right above the mufflers. The rear seat area is right above the resonator.

Here's what i would do:

If I was really scared about modding my exhaust, I would do the resonator first. Cut it and use a straight pipe. Go from ===RESONATOR=== to ==]====[== . If I didn't like it, I'd put it back on with relative ease and cost. Drive around and get used to it. Louder? Then I'd move up to a set of mufflers. But I'd do my homework on what kind/brand of mufflers. Check their output level. I think some sites post them. Apex'I N1's are definitely out. I think their sound output is like 115db while the greddy's are something like 95db.

The best way I've learned is first-hand. Show up to a car meet or find local people and ask for a ride. That's how I picked my Greddy exhaust for my prelude. I ask the guy "i need you to hold it at 65 and do a couple stop-and-go's like a normal person". he did that. after that i told him to do a drag launch and go as fast as you feel comfortable. he went to about 80 and slowed down. I had a huge list and did 1 ride-along in 10 minutes. I was sold and ordered it that night.

you want it more quiet? if you want that then dynamat is your friend. i guess i shouldn't assume that there's at least 1 person in some area with a modified exhaust so another person can get a ride.

sandwood: i thought your exhaust was modified ... or are you just trying to make a point?

well ... you're in DC .. geez. I can drive down to whiteflint and let your rip around the mall if you want to. When do your AVO's come in?

Even if you have them installed, we can meet up and use my car as a comparison. All i have is the catback. I'm going for the UP next.

• 3 weeks later...

FWIW I am getting the first ION Turbo-back exhaust in a few weeks. I will try and get some sound clips up.

Jack has carbon-fibre mufflers & SS, I am getting the SS.

There is the option of none, one or two resonators, (size of resonators is also selectable)I am getting one large one.

There is also the option of one or two mufflers, I am getting two.

No cat or High flow cat.

I believe it is all three inch tubing to the Y and then dual 2.5 after that.

The DP uses a divorced waste-gate.

Jack is very confident it will not drone and that it will have the same volume as a stock M3.

I can't wait!

FWIW I am getting the first ION Turbo-back exhaust in a few weeks. I will try and get some sound clips up.

Jack has carbon-fibre mufflers & SS, I am getting the SS.

There is the option of none, one or two resonators, (size of resonators is also selectable)I am getting one large one.

There is also the option of one or two mufflers, I am getting two.

No cat or High flow cat.

I believe it is all three inch tubing to the Y and then dual 2.5 after that.

The DP uses a divorced waste-gate.

Jack is very confident it will not drone and that it will have the same volume as a stock M3.

I can't wait!

Sounds awesome! I have one question though, is the tip on the exhaust single like the stock LGT, or dual like Stromung?

-ben

Sounds awesome! I have one question though, is the tip on the exhaust single like the stock LGT, or dual like Stromung?

To be honest I don't know. I hope it is just one tip, I think it fits nicer with the bumper.

Archived