LegacyGT.com

The OFFICIAL 2012 Legacy Info Thread

LegGTLT

Toyota Tacoma Parking Brake Recall

March 15, 2005

Toyota is recalling 22,228 of its 2005-model Tacoma pickup trucks sold in the United States to fix a potential problem with their parking brakes.

Read more: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/recalls04/2005/toyota_tacoma.html#ixzz1I19aB1fp

two strikes against lever-actuated parking brakes, only one against electric motor-actuated parking brakes :)

I think my biggest gripe about the 5th gen over the 4th gen is the lack of frameless windows. In the event of a chemical or biological attack, after you finish sealing off all the other potential entrances to the cabin you have to use more duct tape on the 5th gen by sealing both the window itself as well as the door frame, whereas on the 4th gen you're just one and done. Completely unacceptable.

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A conventional parking brake should be standard on the MT cars. Ya know, for the few drivers that like to do things themselves.

And I don't think I like the automatic setting of the brake. I prefer to set the brake before I put the car in gear and let the weight of the car rest on the brake before bouncing off either the parking pawl or first/reverse gear.

If it was a true e-brake setup on a dedicated track car I'd be with you, but not a near-luxury touring car. Conventional parking brakes are a bit plebeian nowadays.

Now, there's an automatic setting? I have to manually set the parking brake. If it is on the automatics/CVTs then that's a great thing -- so many people rely on the parking pawl and of things that actually fail, parking pawls are it. Normally parking brakes fail-safe, with the cable freezing in place for one reason or another. Parking pawl failures are almost always fail-deadly. Completely absurd all the NHTSA regulations for this that and the other thing but nothing for an automatic parking brake for auto transmissions.

I have never actually used a parking brake on any car I have ever owned. The only time it was ever used was when the car was being inspected (I believe). Not really sure I would consider it when weighing the options......

i think it's funny how a bunch of people think that subaru has failed with the current generation legacy and will fail with the future generation legacy when sales from the previous generation have increased 37% according to their August 2010 sales press release (1). (yeah, i just made a citation, what's it to you? lol)

i think a lot of people are missing the point of owning a business. you have to appeal to the masses, not a small percentage of owner/enthusiasts. Yes, all these design changes and crap like that are not traditional subaru, but they have to grow and expand if they want to become a major player in the game. I have talked to A LOT of people who are not car enthusiasts, and a good many have said that the new subaru designs are a lot more appealing that those of old. Yes, I LOVE the old bugeyes but many of those I had talked to said that it was too quirky and aggressive looking. They felt that the design was too polarized and too focused. I did this as part of a research study in an international business and marketing class.

(1) http://media.subaru.com/index.php?s=43&item=181

It's a failure in our eyes, even though they are selling more now. Most consumers are dumb. They don't know or care what they are buying as long as the marketing hype is running at full steam. It's so hard to find a small, fully equipped, high powered sport sedan now a days... I was looking at the KIA Optima Turbo. It's nice....

I think my biggest gripe about the 5th gen over the 4th gen is the lack of frameless windows. In the event of a chemical or biological attack, after you finish sealing off all the other potential entrances to the cabin you have to use more duct tape on the 5th gen by sealing both the window itself as well as the door frame, whereas on the 4th gen you're just one and done. Completely unacceptable.

what??? :lol: I wonder how many potential buyers consider this conundrum before buying their car...

Of course, in the event of an NBC attack, you could always just don one of these:

http://www.rddusa.com/images/products/Military-Gas-Mask/Israeli-civilian-gas-mask.jpg

I keep one exactly like it in my desk drawer at work (seriously) but it's more a protection from odors. From my coworkers.

• I Donated
the push button e-brake would seem to be problematic when trying to use it to slow down for a speed trap without having my brake lights flare up...

I've never understood this. Why does it matter if your brake lights light up? They can't give you a ticket for using your brakes, only for speeding. And the only way they can give you a ticket for speeding is if they clock you or pace you. "Brake lights" are not admissible in court.

I've never understood this. Why does it matter if your brake lights light up? They can't give you a ticket for using your brakes, only for speeding. And the only way they can give you a ticket for speeding is if they clock you or pace you. "Brake lights" are not admissible in court.

Brake light do attract attention though. I just use a lower gear.

• I Donated
Brake light do attract attention though. I just use a lower gear.

I personally press the brakes reasonably firmly if I think I'm about to get clocked. Enough to be within spitting distance of the speed limit. Are there people that say, "I'm going 85 in a 65 and there's a cop, I better slow down to 80"? If everyone does the smart thing and slows down enough to be within range of the speed limit, brake lights won't matter, because when you get clocked, you're not speeding.

Back on topic -- the 2012 Impreza info is trickling out. How about giving us Legacy guys some love???

I don't get it...if you're approaching the cop, they can't see your brake lights. If you've already passed and they can see them, it's too late and they probably already got your speed. What are they going to do? Pull you over for slowing down to the speed limit?

• I Donated
That's still not the same sheet metal though. :lol:

It's the same sheetmetal as the Outback...

Different plastic though...

shit in one hand, wish for a wagon with a mantran in the other

see which one fills up first :(

I'm not holding my breath, so to speak. But hey, someone earlier in the thread said it would happen...

^Yeah but that doesn't mean anything. Here! I'll say it again.

I heard that they are introducing a fifth gen GT wagon for the US in 2012! Woo! Can anyone else back me up on this?

Archived