LegacyGT.com

The OFFICIAL 2012 Legacy Info Thread

LegGTLT

• I Donated

There are still gradations. I watched the temp gauge rise steadily on my test drive when I realized the coolant was low. I would let it got to a certain point, shut off the engine, wait 5 minutes, and then drive again until it got back to that point. Took me a while to get home, but it was worth it. ;)

Just because the gauge is inaccurate does not mean it says absolutely nothing about the temperature of the engine. Is it perfect? No, but it's still more useful than an idiot light. Many oil pressure gauges take a very long average of the pressure, such that it may take 10 seconds for it to register full oil pressure when the car is started. That doesn't mean that it's not better to have that gauge than just an oil pressure warning light.

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And again, the red light comes on at a temperature suitable to turn the car off. Just because it doesn't slowly change to hot, doesn't mean it won't warn you. If it is really of a concern to you, you shouldn't rely on a factory temperature gauge since it is by, very specific design, inaccurate. For all the talk it gets here, I'm surprised at the hypocrisy of people using factory gauges despite bemoaning the blue-off-red light of the 4th gen. Then again, milquetoast criticism is the norm for car forums.

• I Donated
And again, the red light comes on at a temperature suitable to turn the car off. Just because it doesn't slowly change to hot, doesn't mean it won't warn you. If it is really of a concern to you, you shouldn't rely on a factory temperature gauge since it is by, very specific design, inaccurate. For all the talk it gets here, I'm surprised at the hypocrisy of people using factory gauges despite bemoaning the blue-off-red light of the 4th gen. Then again, milquetoast criticism is the norm for car forums.

Do you really only drive in areas where you can safely pull over as soon as the light comes on? I don't, and thus advance warning is useful. If you don't want the additional accuracy that even an imprecise temp gauge provides oven an idiot light, good for you. I happen to want it, and I think most others on this forum would agree with me, whether or not they own 08+ Legacies (the later 4th gens got the idiot light too -- this isn't a 4th gen vs. 5th gen holy war here).

• I Donated
Do you really think that when the needle says it is above running temperature that it is anywhere near the actual running temperature?

I have a bridge to sell you if so....

I'd be willing to bet it's closer to operating temperature than when the light comes on.

why would the light be intentionally inaccurate? Because the car is ugly?

The light is set to trigger at 225-230 or whatever is apropos for EJ25s, whereas the coolant temperature gauge is by design set to lag behind the actual coolant temperature so people don't freak out about temperature fluctuations.

• I Donated

I decided to actually look this up. You are wrong.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/thefultonhow/Subaru/coolantgauge.gif

Page IDI-13 of the 2005 FSM.

The temperature gauge does not lag at all -- it just doesn't register any changes within the normal operating range. As soon as it is outside of the range, it functions accurately.

• I Donated
you win the internet argument! congratulations, my car is bad

:lol:

It's worth noting that I actually like a lot of things about the 5th gen that people with 4th gens usually complain about (electronic parking brake being one of them).

still, it's only an 8-13 degree difference of "idiot light" assuming it should light up at around 220-225 with also another assumption of both engines normally running at 158-212

I still wouldn't trust the gauge, though, 212 is awfully hot and you should spike that constantly in bad traffic in the southern states. I'd rather it be accurate from 190+ so you have plenty of time to figure out your options.

• I Donated

I wouldn't mind having a more accurate gauge, but I'll take what I can get. ;)

Also, if I were looking at a 5th gen, this wouldn't be a dealbreaker feature for me -- just a minor annoyance. It would be nice if Subaru went back to having a temp gauge, but whatever.

• I Donated
I've had my battery drained to the point where none of the accessories or lights work (in fact, it's happened twice on this car since I got it in June). I'm guessing an electronic parking brake wouldn't work in that situation. Then again, neither would an ECU, injectors, coil packs, etc. So it's kind of a moot point.

I've had my battery drained to the point where none of the accessories or lights work (in fact, it's happened twice on this car since I got it in June). I'm guessing an electronic parking brake wouldn't work in that situation. Then again, neither would an ECU, injectors, coil packs, etc. So it's kind of a moot point.

Except that you don't need the ECU, injectors, etc. in order to push a disabled vehicle. You do, however, need to be able to operate the parking brake. Having a parking brake dependent upon electronics just seems like a dumb idea to me.

• I Donated
Except that you don't need the ECU, injectors, etc. in order to push a disabled vehicle. You do, however, need to be able to operate the parking brake. Having a parking brake dependent upon electronics just seems like a dumb idea to me.

Why would you need to push a vehicle that was safely parked before the battery died?

Having a parking brake dependent upon electronics just seems like a dumb idea to me.

Agreed, I don't feel like relying on a 3 dollar electric motor to release the parking brake.

Think of it this way, you are parked on a hill, the brake fails to release, are you really prepared to get under your car to release the brake manually or have to wait for assistance? Seems like they Rube Goldberg'ed something that didn't need to change.

An electric motor is excessively complex? I'm amazed you can user the internet :lol:

They added complexity, going from a spring, cables and a lever to wires, switch, fuse, motor, relay(?), some sort of ECU integration and whatever else they use. Also, I can "user" the internet just fine.

http://car-and-safety.com/service/subaru-legacy-2010.htm

SUBARU LEGACY 2010 Safety Report #TB-06-39-09R

SUBARU LEGACY 2010 technical service bulletin was issued Sept 30, 2009.SUBARU LEGACY 2010 had a failed SERVICE BRAKES, ELECTRIC . SUBARU: ELECTRONIC PARKING BRAKE-DTC C0251. A REPROGRAMMING FILE IS NOW AVAILABLE TO ADDRESS DTC (DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE) C0251 WHICH WILL CHANGE THE ACTUATOR MOVEMENT DETECTING CRITERIA. *PE .

Archived