LegacyGT.com

The OFFICIAL 2012 Legacy Info Thread

LegGTLT

I think the main factor for the increase in sales is the heavy ad campaign towards the legacy. I can't remember a single commercial for the 4th gen. During that time they ran a lot of ads for the forester and subsequently the sales of the forester sky rocketed.

There was hardly any advertising for the BP/BL. Most of it was general Subaru advertisements promoting the entire brand. http://www.cars101.com/subaru/advertising.html

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the main factor for the increase in sales is the heavy ad campaign towards the legacy. I can't remember a single commercial for the 4th gen. During that time they ran a lot of ads for the forester and subsequently the sales of the forester sky rocketed.

That's one hell of an advertising campaign then to increase Legacy sales by nearly 50% and Outback sales by over 100%.

Pretty sure the main factor for the increase in sales is that the car, despite opinions hear, is more well received.

It's true I suppose, though the success of the new Legacy is disappointing to me. Since it seems to validate Subaru's strategy of dumbing down the car and cutting features, I don't expect much of the premium content lost from the previous gen Legacy to return.

Well, you'd be in the minority. Obviously the features you value, most people don't. Hard to claim it to be premium content if sales are brisk. More like fluff content that limited the budget on more important features.

• I Donated
It's true I suppose, though the success of the new Legacy is disappointing to me. Since it seems to validate Subaru's strategy of dumbing down the car and cutting features, I don't expect much of the premium content lost from the previous gen Legacy to return.

Which premium content are you talking about?

Which premium content are you talking about?

Mostly stuff on the GT (which admittedly I don't have, though I was on the fence when I bought my car....I had hoped to upgrade to a GT though, before I saw the 2010 redesign). Let's see if I can list off a few items off the top of my head - I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting:

Folding mirrors with turn signal indicators

SI drive

Electroluminescent gauges

Choice of auto or manual transmission

And of course, no flagship Spec B model with Bilstein shocks, torsen AWD, etc.

And on the non-GT as well:

Body side moldings (not sure how useful they are anyway - what I really miss are my old Saturn's dent-proof plastic panels!)

Dual exhaust (my 2.5i Limited has it, the new gen doesn't)

Again, I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff. The interior feels like a downgrade to me, too, having sat in the 2010. I'm not sure if it's the plastic quality or the design, or maybe both, but the new one is less BMW/Audi and more Toyota. And I hate the stupid button operated e-brake, but that's another matter.

The character of the car was completely changed, and that's the real problem. The GT really no longer fits at all, as you can't make a BMW 3 Series/Audi A4 competitor out of an SUV, and that's essentially what you've got with the Legacy GT now. I suspect that the Outback largely drove the new design direction, which is why the car is such an ungainly boat.

If my car were to be totaled today, I have no idea what I would replace it with. Unless I wanted to take a chance on a used car and pick up another 4th gen Legacy, I would not buy a Subaru, as much as I love Subaru's powertrain layout. Maybe I'd look at a Ford Fusion Sport AWD...

Or, if only I had the money! ;)http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/replacing-my-legacy-154875.html

The 2010 Legacy wasn't designed to be a 3/A/C competitor. It was designed as a mainstream family sedan, just like the Camry, Accord, etc..

Their sales suggest that they have done something right with the new Legacy.

Personally I don't like it. The interior somewhat suits the more truck-like feel of the Outback but I don't like the design and for me it doesn't work in the Legacy. But again, design is a personal choice.

I don't like the current 3 series. I find the interior in that to be too plain, flat and boring looking. The current Audi A4/A6 interior is much better than the previous A4 interior and, IMO, is much nicer than the current Legacy. But there's a significant price premium for it.

Hyundai has shown us that good design can be had for cheap. The new Sonata has a pretty good interior design and is pretty comfortable.

Subaru loyalists aren't willing to give up their boxer engine, AWD, turbo, stick shift, wagon, etc.. simply to get a car with more bells, whistles and better interior design.

Subaru has shown us that with better/more advertising they can sell the Legacy. I'm sure the interior design probably doesn't have a lot to do with the higher sales. So if Hyundai can pull off a nice interior for an affordable price, why can't Subaru make the Legacy a little less utilitarian?

Subaru has shown us that with better/more advertising they can sell the Legacy. I'm sure the interior design probably doesn't have a lot to do with the higher sales. So if Hyundai can pull off a nice interior for an affordable price, why can't Subaru make the Legacy a little less utilitarian?

The new Buick Regal (aka Opel Insignia) has an attractive interior and cockpit layout:

http://image.motortrend.com/f/31154662+w750/2011-buick-regal-interior.jpg

• I Donated
Folding mirrors with turn signal indicators

SI drive

Electroluminescent gauges

Bilstein shocks, torsen AWD, etc.

Body side moldings (not sure how useful they are anyway - what I really miss are my old Saturn's dent-proof plastic panels!)

Dual exhaust (my 2.5i Limited has it, the new gen doesn't)

None of these things matter to the average car buyer.

The interior feels like a downgrade to me, too, having sat in the 2010. I'm not sure if it's the plastic quality or the design, or maybe both, but the new one is less BMW/Audi and more Toyota.

This I will agree with.

And I hate the stupid button operated e-brake, but that's another matter.

Once you get used to it, the electronic parking brake is great. It's the one thing on my dad's 2010 Outback that I would really like on my LGT (well, that and the upgraded audio system that is easy to replace with an aftermarket unit...).

• I Donated
How ironic is it that this is in reality the new Subaru? ;)

http://www.subaru.com/content/static/fightmediocrity/index.html

How is it mediocre to not have a dual exhaust or EL gauges? They are nice, but plenty of non-mediocre cars don't have such things.

And I've always thought Si-Drive is just a gimmick anyway.

• I Donated
Temperature gauges have been useless for decades now -- nowadays analog gauges are low-running-overheated but shown with a sweep, giving the illusion of accuracy.

I disagree on this one. The temp gauge has come in handy on both my G20 (coolant leak resulted in low coolant) and my Legacy (didn't add enough coolant after engine swap). Both times, the gauge rising above the midpoint gave me an early warning before it was in the red zone.

The new Buick Regal (aka Opel Insignia) has an attractive interior and cockpit layout:

http://image.motortrend.com/f/31154662+w750/2011-buick-regal-interior.jpg

no wide-angle lens and other than the white leather the 2010 leggies look similar to the buick.

i find the cockpit/interior of the next legacies very comfortable. When i first got it, I had to drive almost 1500 miles for a work trip and I felt I could have done another 1500 miles. I am only 5'8 and 180 and it feels more posh with out feeling larger.

93825214_carinterior.thumb.jpg.ec0e679036f92525630fe4497ec18bb6.jpg

additionally, the legacies have plenty of potential...a drop of just a couple of inches makes the car look great.

with subaru's entry into JGTC with Legacies, I can see a modder potential for a long time..

:lol::lol::lol: That car has hardly anything in common with road going Legacies.

It's best finish in GT300 was 10th and only twice it finished all of the scheduled laps.

I disagree on this one. The temp gauge has come in handy on both my G20 (coolant leak resulted in low coolant) and my Legacy (didn't add enough coolant after engine swap). Both times, the gauge rising above the midpoint gave me an early warning before it was in the red zone.

Cool, so you'd have seen the same thing with the temperature LED on the 4th gen Legacy. It goes blue-off-red-blinking red, as well as one-upping your temperature gauge by offering a fault option by blinking blue-red. So if anything, the old busted hurting temperature gauges are terrible and bad and won't tell you if there's an electrical fault causing your car to burst into steam-infused flames :lol:

Factory temperature gauges, LED or otherwise, are still useless and I wouldn't trust them farther than I can throw them. They're intentionally inaccurate/slow to show temperature change so that people don't flip out over the gauges rising since in reality, coolant temperature varies wildly.

How is it more precise? Because it has some sweep to it? It's just an illusion of precision. Have to hand it to the boys down in marketing if people literally think the temperature gauge is accurate in any way, shape or form. Hook up something on the OBDII port and watch the wild fluctuations in temperature and notice how the temperature gauge remains exactly in the middle, despite the fans kicking off and on showing pretty explicitly that there's temperature changes.

Archived