LegacyGT.com

The OFFICIAL 2012 Legacy Info Thread

LegGTLT

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've heard SOA finally listened to what their customers want and in 2012 MY will introduce Legacy in the shape of unicorn.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

in this case there is no hope. 2012 will be the same as 2011

On the positive side, we are already in low 130's of posts !!! If the interest for 2012 Subaru Legacy goes unfaded, we may hit 10K posts before the end of this century !

• I Donated
If that were even close to truth, it would be for some sort of Tribeca flagship vehicle...NOT the Legacy Outback.

You didn't really think I was serious, did you? I figured since everyone else was making sh*t up, I would too! :lol:

How about adding a diesel option for 2012? I know diesels are not Subaru's thing, but it seems the way to go with fuel prices skyrocketing. I personally wouldn't buy a gas-electric hybrid, which seems to be the direction of more auto-manufacturers these days. Since I do mostly all highway driving and little city driving, diesel would be great.

• 2 weeks later...

Subaru has diesels in other markets for multiple reasons.

1. The diesel auto market in the US isn't as stable, developed or profitable (econ of scale)

2. They currently do not have a CVT or auto transmission capable of holding up to the extra torque (although I have a feeling the 5eat could adapt without issue here)

3. because of 2, and because US folks don't buy manuals in large enough volumes

The legacy is even more of an issue since the motors are built stateside, so I'd think we'd see it in the impreza/forester long before the legacy (hence the legacy and outback still use the EJ motor instead of the EB).

'20 Legacy XT Touring

13 Subarus and counting: http://jmaigroup.com/subarus/

The legacy is even more of an issue since the motors are built stateside, so I'd think we'd see it in the impreza/forester long before the legacy (hence the legacy and outback still use the EJ motor instead of the EB).

Since when ?

i think it's funny how a bunch of people think that subaru has failed with the current generation legacy and will fail with the future generation legacy when sales from the previous generation have increased 37% according to their August 2010 sales press release (1). (yeah, i just made a citation, what's it to you? lol)

i think a lot of people are missing the point of owning a business. you have to appeal to the masses, not a small percentage of owner/enthusiasts. Yes, all these design changes and crap like that are not traditional subaru, but they have to grow and expand if they want to become a major player in the game. I have talked to A LOT of people who are not car enthusiasts, and a good many have said that the new subaru designs are a lot more appealing that those of old. Yes, I LOVE the old bugeyes but many of those I had talked to said that it was too quirky and aggressive looking. They felt that the design was too polarized and too focused. I did this as part of a research study in an international business and marketing class.

(1) http://media.subaru.com/index.php?s=43&item=181

it's been clearly established that the 4th gen was no bigger than any previous generation Legacy, and looked better than them and thus was faster. I don't need "research studies" or anything to tell me otherwise.

Also, yeah, the 2.5GT drivetrain still comes from Japan.

it's been clearly established that the 4th gen was no bigger than any previous generation Legacy, and looked better than them and thus was faster. I don't need "research studies" or anything to tell me otherwise.

Also, yeah, the 2.5GT drivetrain still comes from Japan.

From published Subaru Brochures:

GT

Manual

Year / Weight / Difference

2004 / 3365

2005 / 3365 / 0

2009 / 3428/ 63

2010 / 3477 / 49

2011 / 3477 / 0

The pretty car wins on weight gain over the production cycle. (The Automatic increased to weigh more than 5th gen.)

The 5th gen can justify the minimal weight gains. No weight gains for 2011. Interesting to see if 2012 holds the line as well.

i think a lot of people are missing the point of owning a business. you have to appeal to the masses, not a small percentage of owner/enthusiasts. Yes, all these design changes and crap like that are not traditional subaru, but they have to grow and expand if they want to become a major player in the game. I have talked to A LOT of people who are not car enthusiasts, and a good many have said that the new subaru designs are a lot more appealing that those of old. Yes, I LOVE the old bugeyes but many of those I had talked to said that it was too quirky and aggressive looking. They felt that the design was too polarized and too focused. I did this as part of a research study in an international business and marketing class.

It's funny, because I think the new Legacy design is more polarizing than the previous one. The exaggerated bugeye lights, the exaggerated wheel arches, etc. make the new Legacy less conservative than the 4th gen in terms of styling.

I'm curious, what is it about the new Legacy design that makes it more appealing? If it's the size, couldn't they have given us the size increase without the change in styling elements, and the deletion of features (things like folding mirrors with turn signal lights on the GT, SI drive, dual exhaust on the non-GT, etc.)

I'm curious, what is it about the new Legacy design that makes it more appealing? If it's the size, couldn't they have given us the size increase without the change in styling elements, and the deletion of features (things like folding mirrors with turn signal lights on the GT, SI drive, dual exhaust on the non-GT, etc.)

I've owned 4 of them, and the deciding factor on jumping ship from my 08 to 11 was purely based on room and MPG. The fact that I can have a car seat behind me and still have legroom is not found in many cars and my 11 got 34.5 MPG on my run from Salt Lake City to Las Vegas last month, while my 08 got 25 on the same trip.

I've owned 4 of them, and the deciding factor on jumping ship from my 08 to 11 was purely based on room and MPG. The fact that I can have a car seat behind me and still have legroom is not found in many cars and my 11 got 34.5 MPG on my run from Salt Lake City to Las Vegas last month, while my 08 got 25 on the same trip.

I dare say there may have been something wrong with your '08 then! There's no way it should be 10 mpg below the 2011 - maybe one or two. I get over 30 mpg on the highway with my '07.

Personally, I don't trust CVT's and I'd cross any car with one off my list, so the 2.5i Limited would be out of consideration even if I did like the car otherwise. And I don't want a manual, so I'd no longer consider upgrading to the GT (as I had thought I might do before the redesign). The 3.6 would be my only choice now.

I'm sure Subaru learned their lessons from the problems they had with the old E-CVT in the Justy - this isn't their first experience with that technology, so I'm thinking they went the extra mile to make sure it is a good product.

I'm sure Subaru learned their lessons from the problems they had with the old E-CVT in the Justy - this isn't their first experience with that technology, so I'm thinking they went the extra mile to make sure it is a good product.

When they're consistently going 200k+ miles without issue then maybe I'll buy into CVT's, though if they're loud and sluggish I still don't really want one.

(I put 220k miles on my old Saturn SL2 without a single problem with the 4 speed auto, so I figure 200k is a decent benchmark.)

i think it's funny how a bunch of people think that subaru has failed with the current generation legacy and will fail with the future generation legacy when sales from the previous generation have increased 37% according to their August 2010 sales press release (1). (yeah, i just made a citation, what's it to you? lol)

I think the main factor for the increase in sales is the heavy ad campaign towards the legacy. I can't remember a single commercial for the 4th gen. During that time they ran a lot of ads for the forester and subsequently the sales of the forester sky rocketed.

Archived