LegacyGT.com

Oils that our cars DON'T eat?

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
A little late to the party but... my '05 LGT w/ 5MT started going through about a 3/4 quart every 3k? I had a scare a while back. Put about 6k between oil changes and went to check it one day w/ nada on the dipstick. :/ My own damn fault of course, but the amount of usage really caught me by surprise. I've had high performance cars before and never had this issue, but admittedly, this is my first turbo.

After that I switched to Pennzoil Platinum Full Synth. I'm about 1700 miles in and still full. No usage apparently so far. However, I did have to take it in this past week to have the valve cover gaskets, oil pump seal, and several other seals replaced due to oil leaks. All since I changed to synthetic. I was under the impression that leaking after switching to synthetic was a thing of the past and anything else was internet forum hoo-ha, but my experience as of late leads me to believe that there is still something there, i.e. that the potential is still there that it might give you a problem regardless of seal swell additives, etc.

Fortunately, the extended warranty covered the leaks and I'll take the trade off in consumption any day... i.e. I will continue to run synthetic until such time as we trade off the car.

Anyway, I know this might be a bit off topic considering the path this thread has gone down but I thought I'd throw it out there... my $.02

Ha! Sounds all to similar to what happened to me! I never seen as much "Loss" as I have (I hate to say this, since I really wanted to support this oil 100%) since I started using AMSOIL. I actually had quite a few miles logged on my ride in between my last change and (My stupid selfs fault as well) stupid me kept putting off checking on it, and ended up having my oil light flicker on for a moment one day, and bought crapped myself! :eek:

So with that said, I put the recommended 5w-30 Syn AMSOIL in the subaru this time (I think I ran 10w-30 last time) and I'm just shy of 2500-3000 right now and it didn't loose so much to not read on the stick but it was just above the low line this time, and I had to add some. Not sure how I feel about this, and I just might switch to something else for the time being to see if there's any different result.

My 05 legacy GT has about 75k on it, and I log most of my miles on the highway at 70-80mph on average. I don't know, still indifferent on this situation...

Napa conventional 5w-30, changed every 2500 miles

True story.... There's no CHANCE I'll be changing my oil every 2500 miles! :lol: I'd be doing oil changes every 8 weeks! :rolleyes:

I can't remember exactly what I was using prior to the AMSOIL but It was either mobil1 or pennzoil and I think I might go back to one of them next OC cuz this is getting frusterating!

True story.... There's no CHANCE I'll be changing my oil every 2500 miles! :lol: I'd be doing oil changes every 8 weeks! :rolleyes:

I can't remember exactly what I was using prior to the AMSOIL but It was either mobil1 or pennzoil and I think I might go back to one of them next OC cuz this is getting frusterating!

I drive between 700 and 1500 miles a week I live in CT on the weekends and NJ during the week and cover NY, NJ and PA for the sales position im in I drive a lot and my LGT is my daily driver. I never considered it that much of a chore to change the oil. Throw the car in the garage, drain and zip off oil filter, put new oil filter on, tq oil drain plug to 33 ft/lb and fill with fresh oil.

I bought the car with 26k miles on it in early '07. First oil change I put synthetic in the car, checked oil at 3k miles and was over a quart low. topped off again and again until 5k miles. Switched to conventional valvoline 5w30. Found out it consumed signifigantly less up to the 3k mile mark then consumed a lot. With the cheap price of conventional compared to synthetic and at that mileage the oil was pretty black.

Learned that Napa oil is subcontracted from Valvoline and the oil is all made in same place just some is squirted into the napa jug and sold for less.

In addition I talked Rob the engine builder at EFI Logics. He builds tricked boxer motors for Subarus 6 days a week. His opinion on oil was that running regular conventional/dinosaur oil for 2500 to 3000 and then changing was just as good if not better than running synthetic for more miles.

Conventional oil is pretty much just as good at doing its job just it's viscosity (lubricating properties) fades after less time in the motor. As long as you arent going high mileage it does just as good a job on the motor as synthetic.

The thing about our cars is since they consume oil anyways, you are better to just change more often then driving longer yet having to top off and check it all the time after the 3k mile mark.

FYI at 89,700 miles with a stage I setup since 38,000 miles and a stage III setup since 64,000 miles. Only failures the car has had is an AC compressor at 35,000 miles and a blown out turbo/Intercooler gasket at 76,000 miles

I drive between 700 and 1500 miles a week I live in CT on the weekends and NJ during the week and cover NY, NJ and PA for the sales position im in I drive a lot and my LGT is my daily driver. I never considered it that much of a chore to change the oil. Throw the car in the garage, drain and zip off oil filter, put new oil filter on, tq oil drain plug to 33 ft/lb and fill with fresh oil.

I bought the car with 26k miles on it in early '07. First oil change I put synthetic in the car, checked oil at 3k miles and was over a quart low. topped off again and again until 5k miles. Switched to conventional valvoline 5w30. Found out it consumed signifigantly less up to the 3k mile mark then consumed a lot. With the cheap price of conventional compared to synthetic and at that mileage the oil was pretty black.

Learned that Napa oil is subcontracted from Valvoline and the oil is all made in same place just some is squirted into the napa jug and sold for less.

In addition I talked Rob the engine builder at EFI Logics. He builds tricked boxer motors for Subarus 6 days a week. His opinion on oil was that running regular conventional/dinosaur oil for 2500 to 3000 and then changing was just as good if not better than running synthetic for more miles.

Conventional oil is pretty much just as good at doing its job just it's viscosity (lubricating properties) fades after less time in the motor. As long as you arent going high mileage it does just as good a job on the motor as synthetic.

The thing about our cars is since they consume oil anyways, you are better to just change more often then driving longer yet having to top off and check it all the time after the 3k mile mark.

FYI at 89,700 miles with a stage I setup since 38,000 miles and a stage III setup since 64,000 miles. Only failures the car has had is an AC compressor at 35,000 miles and a blown out turbo/Intercooler gasket at 76,000 miles

I agree on everything you said for the most part.

And yea regarding oil changes, I just don't have the time nor the best setup to just roll the car into the garage and just zip things off and on at the moment, and that coupled with a full time work schedule and school schedule really doesn't leave many hours in a day... So changing oil that frequently for me is just not gonna happen lol, I've NEVER changed my oil before 4 or 5k though for over probably the past 10 years. And Uhhhh you just made me nervous with the whole gasket issue! :eek: I'm like 2k out from that Mileage interval ha

We like the Amsoil for our own race cars and our customer cars. Heck we've had guys do UOAs for it after 7k miles and it came back as barely being used at all. We always use the Amsoil Extended life oil filters.

Subaru has changed over to all Synthetics in their Turbo cars, so that's a sign that we should have been using Synthetic all along.

If you are consuming oil more than 1quart every 2000 miles then THERE IS A PROBLEM with your engine and you should investigate it.

-mike

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

bought the car with 26k miles on it in early '07. First oil change I put synthetic in the car, checked oil at 3k miles and was over a quart low. topped off again and again until 5k miles. Switched to conventional valvoline 5w30. Found out it consumed signifigantly less up to the 3k mile mark then consumed a lot. With the cheap price of conventional compared to synthetic and at that mileage the oil was pretty black.

Mine does the same. Even with the synthetic. I've noticed that it barely uses anything, then once it gets over the hump it goes thought it quickly.

Mine does the same. Even with the synthetic. I've noticed that it barely uses anything, then once it gets over the hump it goes thought it quickly.

Which filter are you using?

-mike

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Mike, different ones. Whatever the Subaru dealer uses mostly, and then whatever <gasp> Jiffy Lube uses (a couple of times). Some of the quick change places around here are run by real tools so I just started going to the dealer. The price is competitive and they're just as close. There's one right up the road.

I noticed the exact same thing with my experiences with Synthetic in my '05 LGT and '05 WRX back when they were new. After the first change to Sythetic I switched back to using regular Castrol GTX 5W-30 and change it at 3000 miles in both cars.

I've been running 6,000km OCI with Syntec 0W30 for the last 80,000km or so in my XT. Stage 1, gets driven moderately hard.

I have yet to see any drop in oil on the dipstick.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi---new user here. I am also on MNSubaru but haven't been on there in a while I came from a 2005 STi--which I sold when laid off, to now having an 06 LGT Limited. It has about 102,000 miles on it. I have had it for about 10k miles. It seems to average about 1 quart every 1,000 miles for consumption. Today I went in for a top-off and it was closer to 2 quarts at 1,000 miles. It seems to be common that we all see this issue, but is my consumption rate more severe?

Valvoline 5w 30 oil, full-synthetic.

I don't have the garage to change it myself during the winter months in MN.

I'm thinking of picking up some Rotella t6 5-40 tonight and start using it in the Spec B, the engine has 22,000 miles, the previous owner had regular oil changes done using dino oil.

I check the oil for the first time last night, (since I picked it up, 6 day's ago) it's been about 1500 miles since the last oil change, it appears they have over filled it. I pulled the dip stick for about 1 hour, then checked the level and it was well over the fill mark.

The engine was warm...so today at work, I pulled the dip stick about 2" and closed the hood. After work I'll check it again.

I would like to use Castrol syntec 5-40 but I think it's hard to find. I may bite the bullet and pay the man at the auto parts store for the castrol.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Do the Rotella. I have been using it for a year or so now, with no consumption issues at all.

What he said Byron, same here Rotella is good stuff make sure you get the Rotella T 5w-40 synthetic in a blue bottle at Walmart you get one for just over $20 but you are going to need another quart as the large one is not enough its an odd size.

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

:lol:

I have also heard great things about the Rotella. Im likely throwing my $ away with the high end stuff, but it only gets a couple oil changes a year. so why not.

I may give the subie synthetic a go next time im at the dealer and its about oil change time. Its somewhat of a pain getting the redline or motul. would be nice to NOT have to bring my own oil for a change. lol

Archived