LegacyGT.com

Oils that our cars DON'T eat?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had very low oil consumption (less than a quart every 10,000 miles), with the Amsoil 10w-30/ATM, Signature Series oil in both my Subaru's and my Audi TT turbo (1.8L/225 Hp). The NOACK volatility of the 10w-30 (5.3%) is significantly lower than either their 5w-30 (6.9%) or 5w-40 European Formula (7.4%). NOACK volatility correlates well with oil consumption in actual service, within a particular SAE grade. It is a much better predictor of oil consumption than using the flashpoint.

In a high mileage, worn engine it may be preferable to go up to a 5w-40 or 10w-40 synthetic however. The thicker oil will provide a better piston ring seal in these older engines which will mitigate both excessive oil consumption and fuel dilution.

TS

I've had very low oil consumption (less than a quart every 10,000 miles), with the Amsoil 10w-30/ATM, Signature Series oil in both my Subaru's and my Audi TT turbo (1.8L/225 Hp). The NOACK volatility of the 10w-30 (5.3%) is significantly lower than either their 5w-30 (6.9%) or 5w-40 European Formula (7.4%). NOACK volatility correlates well with oil consumption in actual service, within a particular SAE grade. It is a much better predictor of oil consumption than using the flashpoint.

In a high mileage, worn engine it may be preferable to go up to a 5w-40 or 10w-40 synthetic however. The thicker oil will provide a better piston ring seal in these older engines which will mitigate both excessive oil consumption and fuel dilution.

TS

Doesn't the TT require a VW 502 oil with a HTHS of 3.5 or higher? I haven't run anything lower than 3.5 in my FXT since my turbo failure. ATM sounds like a great oil! The new Amsoil Euro 5W-40 EFM sounds like it has a nice, manly additive package. :) It's cheaper than AFL and the NOACK isn't as good so I presume the AFL is made with better base stocks, but the AFL has a lower TBN and is lower SAPS.

I did have high consumption with a low NOACK Red Line 5W-30. Two quarts in 5k miles but it was my first run and I didn't continue using it.

-Dennis

Dennis,

The new Amsoil European oil (EFMQT), looks to be predominately a Group III, "hydroisomerized" base stock. (Fine for a N/A Subie engine, but not my first choice for a turbo.) An even better (albeit more expensive), Amsoil product would be the 5w-40, Premium Synthetic diesel oil ("DEO"). This oil is now an API Licensed, CJ-4/SN formulation, so it meets the latest specs for gas engines. This includes improved compatibility with gas containing ethanol; up to and including E85.

TS

Archived