LegacyGT.com

Oils that our cars DON'T eat?

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw a recent article on oil related to my wife's Toyota Highlander Hybrid...

Issue is that Hybrid owners aren't getting the mileage claimed by Toyota. Toyota has now gone to using 5w-20 oil instead of the 10w-30 stated in the owners manual in attempt to improve gas mileage. It appears to work slightly. In the same thread, someone questioned whether the 5w-20 provided enough lubrication. Another responded that in their Ford police cruisers, they've used 5w-20 for years and have put high mileage on their motors with no adverse effect. Further stated that Ford now recommends 5w-20 for all cars.

So, I'll probably try out 5w-20 Amsoil/Rotella/other combo based on the feedback here and see if I can get an improvement in both mileage and oil burn.

300k miles, BNR 16g, CryoTune, 'Bullet-Proofed' IC, Motor rebuild @ 250k b/c of a cracked exhaust valve. Original 5 EAT. Oil changed religiously @ 3,000 mi.

Anyone use this? Didn't know they made the Ultra in a 5W-40.

Pennzoil Ultra Euro Synthetic 5W-40 Motor Oil

I'm running their "Platinum" in my Suburban and have heard good things about the Platinum and Ultra. I run Total (previously Elf...German) 5W-40 in my Subie.

Have you actually found it?

I ran it once when I got a case of 6 for free from Pennzoil. It was a 6,000 mile interval but the uoa results were a bit skewed IMO since I used two quarts of make-up oil. The uoa is posted on nasioc and bitog (I can't view from work) and I had to use PU 5W-30 for the last quart of make-up oil because I couldn't find the 5W-40 (not even at the Ferrari dealer!).

The consumption may have simply been from switching oils because that occasionally happens when switching brands because of the different chemistries. IIRC, it is on the thin side of a 5W-40 (like M1 0W-40) which is ideal if you basically want to run a robust 30 grade oil.

-Dennis

I wouldn't put a 5w20 in a turbo subaru, but that's just me.

+1!! Why is a turbo Subaru being compared to a Prius anyway?:confused:

Although, a Resource Conserving 5W-30 likely shears to a 20 grade anyway which is why I don't run those either!

-Dennis

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I like the castol syntec 5w-30 (it's been renamed for some reason to edge i believe) but my oci is around 2500 miles.

I went with shell rotella t6 5w-40 already. Setting my oci to 5k, we'll see what happens.

I have no control over drippie.

I have a spec B, it now requires this

http://216.23.190.132/catalog/graphics/08-00763.jpg

Is that Mil-L-7808 like we used in the USAF years ago. Or do you Navy guy's use something different ?

I stopped being a Jet Engine Mechanic 32 years ago.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

M1 5w30, GC 0w30, PP 5w30, PP10w30, PU 10w30

All burn off to some extent. Pennzoil burns the least. M1 the most. GC was about in the middle. Used it once, never again (not worth the $).

Using PU 10w30 year round and the burn-off is less than a quart in 4K miles.

Penzoil Platinum for 25k miles (subaru oem blue oil filter)

Penzoil Ultra for 12k miles(maybe half a quart of consumption every oci of 3k) (puraltor pure one oil filter from here on out)

Penzoil Platinum for 8k cause i couldn't find ultra anymore in my area

Now using Rotella T6 5w40 for the last 700 miles and I gotta say car seems to run smooth on it.

Platinum seemed to be heavier than the Ultra even though both were 5w30

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

Why did you switch from the OEM filter to the pure one? Was there something you like better about it over the Subaru filter?

Just wondering because I'm planning on switching from the pure one to the Subaru filter my next oil change.

Archived