LegacyGT.com

Oils that our cars DON'T eat?

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I spoke with an Australian Subaru dealer, big one, and I now use what they use. It's not expensive but I am very happy with the noise level and the car uses NO oil.

Havoline C3 Fully Synthetic 5w30.

Make sure it's the C3 one though. Their most up to date spec oil.

For reference.. mobil1 5w30 is about $87/4L here.... the Havoline was $47.. and I prefer it over the Mobil1 now. You can only buy it only through Caltex Service Stations here.. for any aussies wanting to know.

Any one know of sources here in the US? I just Googled it and found it all over AU via Caltex. Or is this strictly an AU product? There's plenty of Havoline products available here. Is there a notation somewhere in the labeling that it is C3 version - how would we tell?

Good find...Thank you for the info. Another oil to look at is always helpful.

Doing my timing belt/water pump/oil pump change today. 204k miles on '06 OBW-XT.

300k miles, BNR 16g, CryoTune, 'Bullet-Proofed' IC, Motor rebuild @ 250k b/c of a cracked exhaust valve. Original 5 EAT. Oil changed religiously @ 3,000 mi.

Any one know of sources here in the US? I just Googled it and found it all over AU via Caltex. Or is this strictly an AU product? There's plenty of Havoline products available here. Is there a notation somewhere in the labeling that it is C3 version - how would we tell?

Doing my timing belt/water pump/oil pump change today. 204k miles on '06 OBW-XT.

If I were you and you have 204k miles on your 06. USE WHATEVER OIL you've been using, it is obviously working well! :)

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/145749898/original.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://www.whiteline.com.au/images/logos/perf1.jpg

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.

Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

The C3 spec is an industry wide thing. Oils have a A1/A2/A3, C1/C2/C3/C4/.

Kinda like the API spec goes SN, SM, SL, SJ.

Should be on the bottle!

Would this be a Texaco branded oil over there?

My 05 GT & 07 GXP & my G\F's 05 WRX:

Oil history from day1:

New. SOA filter & oil 4000 miles

1st. oil & filter change till 30k, Mobil1, 5w-30 every 6000 miles \ Fram oil

filter every 3000 miles.

Amsoil 0w-30 SSO and Amsoil Ea oil filter, Ea15k13 oil filter at 30k-73k .

At 73K, my filtration I use.http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...ons-81741.html My oil system now is 7qt. I add 2-4qts over the 15k OCI.

Oil consummation hasn't change sense car was new.

Most off the shelf oil filter, filter down between 20 & 40 microns. Amsoil full-flow oil filter is 15 microns & Amsoil By-Pass oil filter is 2 microns.

This filtration system add 2qts. of oil to you motor. Which help keep the oil cooler.

My GT mileage; over 204k. Turbo as no shaft play when checked at 174k.

My G\F's 05 WRX use same oil & OCI, but uses 1 single spin-on, Ea15k13 oil filter. The WRX as over 150k. I add 2-4qts over the 15k OCI. Turbo as no shaft play when checked at 150k.

Oil consummation hasn't change sense car was new.

My 07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, 2.0L DI turbo charge motor, Same oil & OCI, but No Ea filter is available. I use a WIX filter. Change oil filter only every 5k. GXP as over 86k. No oil consummation over it's 15k OCI. Amsoil know as a EA oil filter, just waiting to use up my WIX oil filters.

In short, check you oil level often & top as needed. Use oil & filter that will protect for the OCI your running. OA's is the only way you know that your oil & filter is up for the challenge. After that IMO no OA's are needed.

This is what I have told others. That wanted or thinking about running Extends Drain Intervals.

If your not going to run Extends Drain Intervals. (IMO at least 7.5k) Them IMO you can use cheaper oil & filter to protect up to Subaru's 3750 OCI.

What you do is up to you, at your own risk. If you do Extends Drain Intervals (at least 7.5k) I would do your OA's at your current OCI. Up to you plan on changing you oil & filter. For the 1st oil change. After you AO's come back "Good for Continuous Use" up to whatever OCI you decide, under 15K. Then all you have to do is to watch for oil usage. Remember that Amsoil only Recommends extended drain intervals with their oils. If use with their EA oil filters one is available.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

If I were you and you have 204k miles on your 06. USE WHATEVER OIL you've been using, it is obviously working well! :)

Amen... just can't help tinkering!

300k miles, BNR 16g, CryoTune, 'Bullet-Proofed' IC, Motor rebuild @ 250k b/c of a cracked exhaust valve. Original 5 EAT. Oil changed religiously @ 3,000 mi.

There are very few ACEA C3 oils over here, but Motul X-clean is one (5W-30 and 5W-40). C3 oils are low SAPS oils (Sulphated Ash Phosphorus and Sulphur).

Low SAPS oils have lower levels of Phosphorus, but still have a decent amount of zinc as seen in a recent uoa over at bitog on the X-clean from one of AZP's customers.

-Dennis

GC is my first choice but when I can't find it M1 0W-40 Euro Formula is a close second. The GC is a "heavy" 30 while the M1 is a "light" 40 and both meet the HT/HS critera for ACEA C3. Both have lots of ZDDP, meaning lots of long-term lubricity.

I know it's the butt dyno speaking, but the engine seems ever so slightly smoother with GC.

i jus changed my oil 2 weeks ago and put about 800+ miles on it since then. I jus checked my oil today and its kinda dark. way more then i expected.

Also, when i checked it i found that the oil level was in 3/4 full on the front of the dipstick, but on the back of the dipstick it was full. Is this normal?

I had this exact issue!

My ex-STi mechanic told me to always check the oil level on the low side, which in hindsight makes sense.:)

• 1 month later...

I think you might have to go to Canada to get it. Canada has had Rotella 0W-40 for many years and this says it's for the Canadian market.

http://www.todaystrucking.com/shell-announces-new-oil-for-canadian-winters

-Dennis

Archived