LegacyGT.com

New BW EFR turbos coming soon through FR!!!!

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2110277&page=4

but as he said, the housings are not ideal, so you have to deal with the stock location penalty.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

no official dates were given to Full-Race as to when the EFR turbos will resume shipping. Unofficially, Full-Race is putting in work for the stock location EFR subies and it won't be too much longer until we have some good news to share from BW. In the end, I believe this will be worth the wait

Any news on the EFR series. I was looking into the 6758.

good choice - that is an outstanding turbo for this engine in stockish guise and 5speed trans. we continue to get great feedback on it

• 1 month later...
And I still have a virgin 7064 TS IWG on my shelf.....

I wish it would fit a stock location JDM TS setup with an UP and DP change. :)

I originally though the EFR's were all T/S (oops) and then heard about the stock location kits coming out. (and has me considering something else other than the Blouch 2.5XTR T/S) Now after researching a bit the new FR stock location is likely only going to be SS. Anyone have any insider info on this?

The smaller size "B1" EFR turbos are 6258 and 6758, available only as singlescroll .64 a/r.

This is an outstanding combination for fast spool/great torque up to 430hp. Full-Race simply makes a custom up pipe and downpipe to use this in the stock subaru location and compatible with tmic, intake, etc. If you have any other questions feel free to ask

• 2 months later...

Great thread and a pretty amazing turbo! Read all about it yesterday and was pretty impressed. I was curious as to the cost of a stock location system and recommendation from an AVO380. I e-mailed Fullrace yesterday and already got a response back. Wish I would have know this a few months ago, because the FR route is a lot cheaper than what I did. Mmmm... maybe I need to sell so stuff....

Thought I'd bump this up since I have some info. Here is part of the response e-mail I got back:

Thank you for your e-mail. I think the EFR6758 will be a good turbo for the HP you are looking to make. The Kit uses your factory lower manifold then our single scroll T25 up pipe is attached to that. - The 6258 will be a quick spooling turbo, rated at 450hp, but might require more boost to the the numbers you want out of it.

Here's more info.

1. I would like keep around the same power or more, but not loose too much of the "quick" power delivery of that turbo. I was thinking that the 6258 would be more of a lateral move, but was wondering if the 6758 would still give me the quick power delivery? (My power goals are 310+whp on 91 pump gas and 360+whp on e85. Stock my car did 185whp on my tuners Dyno Dyanamics. With the AVO380 I'm at 278whp on 91 and 330 on e85)

The EFR 6758 will be the better choice for this new set up and will give you a great response as well.

3. Can you guys weld in two (2) O2 bungs in the downpipe right after the turbo.

Yes we can - the cost for this is $55 per bung.

4. Does the downpipe have a CAT? (pictures look like it, but just want to make sure)

The down pipe doesn't have a CAT, however I can see if one can be added to it.

5. Cost of the 6258 and 6758 turbo kits with 1.5 scroll up-pipe to EFR turbo, dual O2 bungs in downpipe, all parts 2000 deg. coating.

Either the EFR6258 or the 6758 are $1461 - The T25 Up pipe is $495 - the down pipe for this set up is $610 + $110 for the bungs.

Thermal coating on the Up pipe is $70 - The down pipe is $110 - FREE coating on the turbine housing($80 value) + the Kit Box which is $340 - The total is the $3196 + shipping.

6. Products in-stock? Or time frame from order to parts received.

Turbos are in stock, Up pipe in stock. The down pipe will need to be built and then coated. Usual turn around time for this is about 3 weeks.

Let me know if you have any other questions or want to place an order.

Jon Guerra

• 7 months later...

Hi Full Race,

Guys,

Can you comment on which of the two EFRs; 6258 or 6758 will be the best match for a LGT/OutbackXT Automatic?

I got a built engine, HexMods Valve Body and all supporting mods including TGVD, etc,

Planning to get a ProcessWest STI TMIC to fit the EFR, right?

History:

Started with VF52 - decent spool but dies on top.

then tried AVO380v2, decent top and HW response but crappy spool -

car is a zombie until ~4200rpm - low stall speed 5EAT torque converter sucks.

Looking for ~320-330whp on Cal91, with spool by 3,300rpm

On 5MT cars it seems that the EFR 6758 might cut it but after my very disappointing experience with the AVO380 (professionally tuned by GST) I would prefer to err on the side of caution...

I can accept slightly slower spool than the VF52 - no racing plans,

but it has to be close. The AVO380 spool is just unacceptable on an 5EAT AUTO.

So which one will you suggest: 6258 (can it reach 330whp accounting for AUTO trans loses?) or should I risk at try the 6758 (will it spool by 3300rpm on an AUTO?)

Also, it maybe that the Full Race Kit UP & DP might need to be customized to fit around a Automatic Transmission (which is wider than the 5MT), yes/no?

Thanks in advance for all the feedback & recommendations!

The AVO line of turbos were never known as fantastic performers. You're comparing apples to oranges.

Find a 68HTA for your goals.

I've heard alot of talk about these stock location EFR's, but I haven't seen any. Don't see many EFR's in general. Quite a pity.

I still have a 6074 brand new sitting around.....

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Hi Full Race,

Guys,

Can you comment on which of the two EFRs; 6258 or 6758 will be the best match for a LGT/OutbackXT Automatic?

I got a built engine, HexMods Valve Body and all supporting mods including TGVD, etc,

Planning to get a ProcessWest STI TMIC to fit the EFR, right?

History:

Started with VF52 - decent spool but dies on top.

then tried AVO380v2, decent top and HW response but crappy spool -

car is a zombie until ~4200rpm - low stall speed 5EAT torque converter sucks.

Looking for ~320-330whp on Cal91, with spool by 3,300rpm

On 5MT cars it seems that the EFR 6758 might cut it but after my very disappointing experience with the AVO380 (professionally tuned by GST) I would prefer to err on the side of caution...

I can accept slightly slower spool than the VF52 - no racing plans,

but it has to be close. The AVO380 spool is just unacceptable on an 5EAT AUTO.

So which one will you suggest: 6258 (can it reach 330whp accounting for AUTO trans loses?) or should I risk at try the 6758 (will it spool by 3300rpm on an AUTO?)

Also, it maybe that the Full Race Kit UP & DP might need to be customized to fit around a Automatic Transmission (which is wider than the 5MT), yes/no?

Thanks in advance for all the feedback & recommendations!

In 3rd you should be near full boost by 3300rpm with a 68HTA, on a 5EAT. After thinking about our conversation again, I'm back to recommending you first do the 68HTA before you go spend $$$$ on a FullRace and EFR setup.

ProcessWest intercooler would not be for STi fitment, but for LGT / 08+WRX. First choose the turbo, then decide how to intercool it.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

ProcessWest intercooler would not be for STi fitment, but for LGT / 08+WRX.

If someone is getting a turbo and a process west at the same time, they should get both in STi fitment. That way they have a much larger selection of turbos. If the same turbo is available in both styles, the STi one is usually cheaper as well.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

If someone is getting a turbo and a process west at the same time, they should get both in STi fitment. That way they have a much larger selection of turbos. If the same turbo is available in both styles, the STi one is usually cheaper as well.

Brain fart, was thinking of this guy, which would not be practical http://www.rsaperformance.com/prwetopmoins.html?utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cse&gclid=CPWjzKXT7rcCFUFyQgodsi0AmA

For those just wanting to do "one-and-done", this likely doesn't apply as much.

However, for those who want to experiment, and/or have access to different setups, this makes a lot of "logical" sense.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

here is some copy/paste info from a team in california using our stock location EFR setup on a 100% stock motor and EFR 6258 (smaller turbo):

-EFR6258 spools faster than stock VF39 and makes more power: jager racing, 100% stock STI engine, EFR 6258: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

-last weekend, #1 overall event champs @ redline time attack: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

-here is their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/Jagerracing

68hta is also a good option, but it is a larger turbo then the 62 or 67 EFRs

subie-stockloc-EFR.jpg.f80e516800870d8ceaa192c65116fb77.jpg

subie-stockloc-EFR2.jpg.74467bd8561c4f38fdf91d123e97be1f.jpg

Didn't FP stop making the 68HTA in favor of the 71HTA?
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Still very interested to see how the production 7163 is going to compare to the development versions.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Thanks Geoff, HexMods, et al. - I appreciate all your initial feedback

After many PMs (including to BW,)

I am now firmly committed to installing an EFR turbo on my OutbackXT.

per Geoff @ Full Race, I'll be the first automatic to do so -

here are some of my thoughts for the rest of the members on this forum,

especially all the 5EAT folks, to share, comment on and benefit from...

Geoff, can you please comment on how you suggest that we work through the matter

of a fitting your Kit's UP & DP around an Auto Tranny and its water lines?

I am concerned that since the Auto is wider than the MT this is a big potential issue

so lets try to work it out ahead of time - what can Full Race do for us? - thanks!

I estimate the cost will be ~$4.5K for the turbo, FR t-kit, PW TMIC, labor & protune,

which I hope to reduce by ~2K by selling all my current hw;

VF40, VF52, AVO380, AVO TMIC, Cobb UP, DP, etc...

Next:

I am looking for your comment to help me choose between

the 6258 and the larger 6758 - here are my guesstimates and thoughts for all of you

to offer feedback and sanity checks:

(VF39 is slightly larger than VF52, so using the VF39 vs. 6258 data from Yimi/FullRace);

the smaller EFR 6258 can be expected to provide a VF52-like spool,

plus a better transient response & spool recovery and approximately

44lb/min i.e. 440chp at the Crank - its theoretical max chp on E85.

Now, no turbo can (or should) operate at it max rated flow rate -

it is inefficient and dangerous, especially on Cal91, so after -10% safety factor i.e.

we are left with 40lb i.e. 400chp which is more realistic to expect and is safe(er) for Cal 91.

~330whp are left after accounting for ~17% drivetrain loss and only

~290whp after accounting for ~40whp consumed by our 5EAT Auto Transmission at redline.

Now;

~280whp is what I get on VF52 with E85 and it has been my goal with the AVO380 on Cal91

(which I did NOT meet - the AVO makes only ~260whp on Cal91 - still better than the 240whp with VF52 -

I can definitely feel the difference - on the highway the AVO can put an idiot grin on my face when passing M and AMG cars :)

However, is such a relatively small upgrade I can expect with the EFR 6258 worth the ~$4-5K investment?

Not sure...

Now, the larger 6758 should bump hp up by 10%, and spool down by 10%, i.e. ~ 350rpm slower -

I might be able to live with that if it is not worst than -350rpm...?

And,

the EFR6758 does not need to work hard to provide high pressure to give me the 330whp on Cal91 which is my goal.

And on E85, it'll be crazy (think transmission rebuilt - HexMode - how about it?)

Currently, the only thing that holds me back from making a clear decision is that

I am a bit intimidated by 6758's slower spool which is reputed to be 200-300rpm slower than the VF39

(a marginaly larger turbo than the VF52,) so 300-400rpm slower (than Vf52) spool guesstimate is probably right...?

Anyway, these are my thoughts, what do you all think?

This will be a fun project and the whole 5EAT community will benefit.

Finally,

what I am not sure is if should I start with the EFR6258 and then go up,

or go for it with the EFR6758 from the start.

How would you think about it, money aside?

Thanks in Advance for all you feedback & comments.

-Igor/CA/CO

ps: Regarding the HTA68 Option:

A fellow on this board (Legend) has written extensively about his experience "upgrading" his MT from VF52 to a BRN68.

If one reads between the lines - the conclusions are might be disappointing for most - yes,

the 49lb/min BRN68 ultimately generated more hp, no question, but the spool and the response suffer and

unless you race all day, got E85 by your houseone and are trying to shave 0.5sec off a 1/4ml time,

its not worth the effrot considering an almost $2K bill for parts, labor and re-tune...?

Also note that FP has discontinued the HTA68 and while

Bryan can still fab a BRN68 it might not be a best ROI -

So unless somebody can show me that the BRN68 is a significant and an awesome upgrade up

from a VF52 on an Automatic (NOT 5MT,) then the EFR turbo is the only alternative, right?

Archived