LegacyGT.com

New BW EFR turbos coming soon through FR!!!!

Almost any modified Subaru will pass the CA sniff test, since it's not put on the rollers and the 2500rpm sustained run keeps it out-of-boost and below the typical closed-loop fueling threshold (~3200 RPM). It's the visual that almost always gets you. ;)
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And...:confused: There are some that won't, pure and simple - huge injectors, water/meth injection, big rotated turbo setups, FMIC and running pig rich, hence the "almost".

Typical stage II Subaru with essentially everything else "stock-lke", will pass sniff test, just won't likely pass the visual. Glad I'm free and clear of that nonsense.

No sniff test in 2014. Pure OBDII connection. All OEM's were forced to hand over tune table data. Specifically sensor scaling and voltage/amp feed back as well as CEL enable/disable. So, any car tuned will not pass. They will instantly see the rescaled MAF, the EGT delete, the O2 delete, the boost target modifed, the WGDC modified and more. The smog nazis might have finally got a step ahead.

Seriously, so no more idle and run test, no visual?

I'm sure it would run like crap, but how hard would it be on the car to simply flash back to stock settings, drive-cycle it very easily (completely out-of-boost), pull-in for a plug and go test, then reflash before departing.

Or are they looking for the mfgr's ECU check-sum/registration "key" before going further.

Cobb and the RomRaider community are both heavily invested in California. The aftermarket will release a solution. Modified cars are never going away in California. It's the hub of car America.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

But Cali prides itself on breaking the back of anything innovative or that doesn't line-up with the liberal, eco-fanatical agenda, so it'll be a while before that happens if it does.

It is already happening. Perrin will not even ship product into Cali that violates CARB anymore. AEM is having customer sign a scary waiver acknowledging a federal offense being perpetrated if the car is driven on a public road or registered. The old "off road use only" waiver is no longer good enough. The aftermarket companines are already taking note.

We do not know yet if the state has the ECM check-sum data. The new laws were supposed to take effect this year, but have been delayed for 1 year. I hear rumor of mobile smog repair becoming legal too. As for the readiness monitors, I am not certain if they can see that they have been forced to reset (like you can do with romraider) or not. But I do not think that something as simple as cruising then testing will work. The idea is that they are trying to make it impossible to falsify a test. They are also trusting that a car with no CEL and all parameters within spec is clean.

Only time will tell. But it does not look good. We are already printing new waivers of liability for any and all performance modifications performed at the shop. I am considering not registering my SpecB any longer and taking it off the public roads for good. I anticipate some lenghty forums being held at SEMA this year specifically about changing laws and manufacturers/installers liabilities.

I have a 3" midpipe with 2 x 2.5" after the Y, and stock mufflers.

I don't think they mufflers are costing me any power at all. With an ATP 3076 I got 377whp on a hot day (90F) on a dyno that reads about like most DynoJets. That's about what people get with full CBEs, and I have a high-flow cat in my downpipe, which is unusual for this power level. (I'm a tree hugger, but I'm OK with that.)

My setup is slightly louder than stock but it's mostly just awesomer. I don't like loud cars and I'm totally content with this setup.

The stock midpipe has a huge resonator on it, so losing that changes the exhaust tone a lot and makes it a slightly louder. The mufflers do most of the quieting though. My midpipe has a "resonator" but it's so tiny that I don't think it makes much difference. It's basically an 18" long 4" section in the otherwise-3" pipe. Whereas the stock resonator as about the size of a briefcase.

I have no idea how much power the stock midpipe costs. But if you're really concerned about noise, consider just doing turbo / up-pipe / down-pipe, get tuned, see what the results are. Mid & Y are usually sold together, so you can upgrade them together if you want. Your tune will probably need minor adjustments but it should cost way less than a full tune.

If you really want silent+deadly you could have a really big resonator added to the aftermarket midpipe.... I'm pretty sure you could have very nearly stock sound, with unmeasurable power loss.

Couldnt agree more. I had the autospeed exhaust which was 3 inch with nice resonator to two 2 inch straight through mufflers. It was really nice and I loved it.

I sold it and bought the Cobb (stromung) exhaust. It is 3 inch NO RESONATOR, and 2.5 to mufflers.

It is waaaay louder than the Autospeed at about 3K and people thought that was somewhat loud.

Eventually I will place a resonator of some sort into my mid pipe to tone the Cobb down a bit. Other than that I love it. It fits AWESOME!

No sniff test in 2014. Pure OBDII connection. All OEM's were forced to hand over tune table data. Specifically sensor scaling and voltage/amp feed back as well as CEL enable/disable. So, any car tuned will not pass. They will instantly see the rescaled MAF, the EGT delete, the O2 delete, the boost target modifed, the WGDC modified and more. The smog nazis might have finally got a step ahead.

:eek:

It is already happening. Perrin will not even ship product into Cali that violates CARB anymore. AEM is having customer sign a scary waiver acknowledging a federal offense being perpetrated if the car is driven on a public road or registered. The old "off road use only" waiver is no longer good enough. The aftermarket companines are already taking note.

We do not know yet if the state has the ECM check-sum data. The new laws were supposed to take effect this year, but have been delayed for 1 year. I hear rumor of mobile smog repair becoming legal too. As for the readiness monitors, I am not certain if they can see that they have been forced to reset (like you can do with romraider) or not. But I do not think that something as simple as cruising then testing will work. The idea is that they are trying to make it impossible to falsify a test. They are also trusting that a car with no CEL and all parameters within spec is clean.

Only time will tell. But it does not look good. We are already printing new waivers of liability for any and all performance modifications performed at the shop. I am considering not registering my SpecB any longer and taking it off the public roads for good. I anticipate some lenghty forums being held at SEMA this year specifically about changing laws and manufacturers/installers liabilities.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

There have been some reports of the random smog checks recently, not sured if refusal to participate is an option or not...some say yes some say no. Nored are what the outcome would be for any "mods" to the agreed spec. I knew it was going to start getting draconian.

It's not about emissions any more or they wouldn't drop the sniffer.

So glad I moved away from California before there stringent smog laws kicked it up yet another notch. No emissions testing or inspections here, and it costs a fraction of what it was down there to register a car in Central Oregon. I could register Frankster's 3.8 Buick swapped LGT here without issue.

Watch the federal government, especially under this administration's push to halt emissions. The next step will be to require that any highway and infrastructure funding to each states will also requrie has stringent and specific directives to implement the draconian, California-mimicking, smog and emission restrictions in both form and function. After that, good-bye performance enhancement and tuning...

The goal is fine. Just don't tell me how to get there. I'll bet many of the stage 2 and possibly stage 3 cars could pass an acctual smog check.

The next proposed checks are sound more line an intrusion into my privacy and wallet only. If they arne't going to sniff the tail pipe what the point... Oh yeah contents of my wallet, all in the name of emmission reduction, please. That is all...

We're getting OT, but let me just say that, having been there, done that for nearly 30 years, I feel your pain and completely empathize. The only true relief I had during my stay was while I was on active duty, my vehicles were registered in my home state and I didn't have to deal with the nonsense. Once I became a resident, it hit. Good luck.

But Cali prides itself on breaking the back of anything innovative or that doesn't line-up with the liberal, eco-fanatical agenda, so it'll be a while before that happens if it does.

Not happy to see this post; had been happily holding onto my impression of admins as apolitical entities. This makes me sad. Good to know where you stand, though.

Dale is anything but apolitical. The man is all Republican.

Back on track. What happened to LBGT? This was his thread. I remember him talking about selling the LGT and getting an STi but I have not heard from Benjamin in a LONG time now.

Not happy to see this post; had been happily holding onto my impression of admins as apolitical entities. This makes me sad. Good to know where you stand, though.

He was posting as a contributing member of this site not an admin. Get off your high horse.

Archived