LegacyGT.com

New BW EFR turbos coming soon through FR!!!!

i'm waiting to sleeve my block.... 24psi max is annoying

We have run more than 24 psi on a variety of blocks without sleeves. Don't expect to run 25 degrees of timing while doing it, but I would not say there is some artificial 24 psi limit on stock sleeves.

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The two smaller ones are the ones to be used for stock location. The things is "stock location" should be qualified:

Stock inlet location, they are working on an UP and DP that will work, but stock turbo inlet should work fine, and stock STI style TMIC or many FMIC will work.

The 6258 should see 15 psi by about 2500 rpm or so is the hopes, with near NA quality response.

Geoff seems to think the 7670 will be the real Subaru Ticket for 2.5 liters (in TS 0.92 a/r IWG guise):

I've always wanted to do TS but the FR kits can be pretty pricey. Hopefully, they have an awesome GB:lol: No doubt they look high quality and have great guarantees.

Although, I'd be happy with a single scroll 350 WHP pump gas turbo that has a similar response similar to a VF40 and I think the stock location EFR Subaru turbos will have a similar boost threshold?

Is anyone running a rotated intake manifold on a LGT?

In stock form, there are no sleeves.

at this altitude, 24psi is the magic number. I only daily it at 21psi

during the tune we spiked 28psi a few times and made 500ftlbs at 4200rpm

Not trying to be an ass but what do you call the cylinder walls in a stock block? I would think those would be called sleeves since they are not aluminum like the rest of the block.

^^ I am not 100%, but I thought the cylinder wall was was the same material as the rest of the block (aluminum).

If I am wrong, please point to some proof. I have seen open / cracked Subaru blocks before and the material of the "sleeve" seemed to be the same as the rest of the block.

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

I wish all the compressors were available with t4 flanged twinscroll turbines. Think... 1 kit rapid change turbos!! Do I want bottom end or top end today??? Hmm. Go to the track swap out the 40lb turbo for the 70lb turbo and switch back to drive home...

^^ I am not 100%, but I thought the cylinder wall was was the same material as the rest of the block (aluminum).

If I am wrong, please point to some proof. I have seen open / cracked Subaru blocks before and the material of the "sleeve" seemed to be the same as the rest of the block.

There is a sleeve in there in stock form. I forget who it was that made them, but there are sleeves. I have seen them and seen them with cracks. They are most definitely not the same as the rest of the block. They may be a bit thin, but they are sleeves none the less.

I am sorry, but you guys are wrong. The factory block does in fact have sleeves. We have seen where the factory sleeve has cracked and peeled away from the block. It is my understanding (and I could be in correct on the process) that the factory block is poured and cast around the sleeves which have ribs built into them to help hold them in place. They are some what thin and may not be visible in the above picture, but they are there.

stock block does not have sleeves. The case halves are cast and machined from a single pour.

very few engines are sleeved from the factory

You are absolutely wrong. I cracked the cylinder wall only in one of my motors. The actual aluminum reinforcement didnt crack, just the cylinder wall. Like Sarg said, you could see it peeled away from the reinforcement. If this was not the case, why can you only bore the 2.5L blocks to 100MM? One last thing, if it was aluminum, the cylinder walls would not rust after being left out for a few weeks. I have seen plenty blocks with rusty cylinder walls.

they rust because it's an aluminum alloy, not pure aluminum

If that was the case, then the entire block would rust and not just the cylinder walls.

you can't bore it past 100 because then the walls get too thin

You are saying the block is one big cast piece. have you seen a 100MM bored block? There is still plenty of material on the outside if it was one big piece. The walls of the cylinder sleeves get to thin and that is why you can't bore it past 100MM. I wish I could find the picture of my cracked sleeve. You can tell it is a sleeve and not just one big cast piece.

New GT500 and I believe GTR aren't using sleeves, but they are some of the first modern performance engines to do away with sleeves. I think they may even be the first. At any rate, the fact that Ford did it was still news worthy a year ago, and 99% of any other cars still use sleeves, including Subaru.

• Mega Users

from manual:

The cylinder block is made of aluminum die casting. A semi-closed deck structure is used to obtain

a higher rigidity to hold the cylinder liners.

The cylinder liners are made of cast iron. As they are of a dry type, their outer surfaces are entirely

in contact with the cylinder block.

Phil @ Elenent ran a stock EJ257 long block for a full race season, 500whp at 30psi, big snail, "just to prove a point." I asked him what timing he was running. I think he said <17* at redline...
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

stock block does not have sleeves. The case halves are cast and machined from a single pour. very few engines are sleeved from the factory

incorrect... most aluminum block engines (subaru included) have cast iron sleeves, which are ribbed externally and then the block is poured around that.

something i learned from the cosworth machinists is that many subaru blocks do not have perfectly straight cylinders, so when cosworth builds motors they will sometimes reject brand new subaru blocks because the machinists there demand such precise tolerances

sarg - i agree, the most efficient turbo setup possible combined with conservative timing is the way to go.. ive never understood some of the aggressive ignition timing or small turbo philosophies, it just doesnt work nearly as well in the real world

Archived