LegacyGT.com

AVO Turbokit - the Install

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12:20 am update from Weed. 500 miles later from Seattle, the kit is going very good. If you never have driven from Seattle to California via interstate 5, around the Oregon/California border you have to go through the passes, a lot of climbing.

When it was NA, I generally had to shift down to 4th on the long climbs to get it up the hill, and that was generally full throttle. Now, I'm just using the cruise control in 5th gear and it's just ripping up the pass at partial throttle doing, well, a bit more than the limit.

We've been tuning as we go, and it was at the pass that we finally found some knock in our initial 3 beer tune. Doing a particularly steep grade in 5th gear from 1800 rpm, it was pulling up the hill (yeah, it really does get boost at that point) but it started knocking a bit, so Ross will be looking at that area of the tune tonight. Well, I guess it's morning now actually.

Even with all the stopping, idle checks, and other interruptions, the car has averaged about 26mpg at about 70-75mph average. It's getting a bit less than that up the pass, but I haven't been to the pump yet to check that leg.

So we are pretty solid for being at Subiefest. Anybody that wants to take a look at the kit, and give it a drive, just show up!

Regards,

Paul Hansen

http://www.avoturboworld.com

I will go to Subiefest if I can take a look at this setup. I'm in almost the exact same situation... 2007 Black OB 2.5i 5-Speed with 108,000 miles. I can't believe someone bested me by 70k miles in an 07 lol.

If Paul's engine stays in one piece, thats a testament to the durability of these engines (and the turbokit), when boosted, at almost 200,000 miles!

Wow... Glad to see this is coming along! I'm also glad to see that beer has been an important part of this build. I don't know how I would've built my cars any other way! :lol:

And that Outback would be the perfect sleeper/daily driver... Not to mention the $$$ you'd be saving on insurance having a 2.5i as opposed to a GT/XT.

Well, it stayed together all right! Just checked in at a hotel a bit North of Subiefest. Been rocking along all day on the interstate. Did a bit more logging, still working on the tune. Especially on 91 octane!

Believe it or not, we were fairly confident the motor is going to hold together. It's all about the preparation. Making sure the fuel pump and injectors are at 100%, putting new oil in, putting new plugs and plug wires on. All really important things to do before putting in the turbo kit.

Anyways, since we need to work on the tune a bit more tonight - we are off for a few beers! Be back in a couple of hours...

Regards,

Paul "ooooh, boost" Hansen

I'd actually post the video I've been taking during the trip, but unfortunatelythis laptop is currently only capable of posting to boards, checking emails, and 3 beer tuning.

Speaking of tuning, one of the fun tuning events of this trip was me kicking the Open Port 2.0 cable/box connection and ripping out the connector to the USB cable. Given the general necessity of being able to log and flash the ECU, this became a bit of an issue. Ross ended up having to modify the general purpose soldering iron for some fine detail work (the usual way, spit, duct tape, and a grinder) and then basically soldering the little (very very little) wires back to the board. And tbh, I don't think he could even see them, so it was a very zen repair moment.

In the meantime, I was pursuing the backup plan, which was persuading Dan at the Smart Service Mukilteo shop to cough up his Tactrix for the weekend, in case the soldering went horribly wrong. And I do thank Dan for that, he came through on the Tactrix for backup duty. Ross did actually get the soldering on our Tactrix unit right, and it's been working - at least up till tonight, when it gave up the ghost. On to the backup unit! Tactrix themselves have been very good about it, they'll fix our unit when we get back from this trip.

I am starting to wish the car had a bit higher gearing. Right now it feels much like those old GC8 Impreza STI RS models in Japan. When I shift into 5th gear, it's accelerating like 3rd gear in the longer geared GT Legacies. It's one of the things that make the 2.5i with the turbo kit so quick. I have to be careful, it gets to 80mph very fast off the on-ramps. I just wish it wasn't turning 3300+ revs at 75mph.

Oh, gas mileage. 26mpg to the pass, put in more gas. 23.5 mpg climbing up the pass. Then 26mpg for the rest of the trip, it's been pretty consistent. It's actually a bit better than the N/A - given that I've been basically sitting at 75mph on the cruise control the entire trip. If I was able to keep it at 60-70mph through the trip, it would probably be hitting 28-30mpg. Not that anybody really can do that on a trip like this...

I just hope we have the energy to spray the car off before the event tomorrow, we've collected about 3000 bugs between Seattle and here.

Regards,

Paul Hansen

In Salt Lake City, Utah. Another long drive. I would have posted after the event, but we drove to Las Vegas (viva Las Vegas!) after the show, and because it was Saturday night, ended up having to stay at a crap hotel in Jean, a small, um, town I guess outside of Vegas proper. And all I can say about that experience, don't stay there. Ever.

The event was great, biggest crowd ever showed up this year. A lot of people came through the booth, especially in the morning. Most of the people that looked at the car didn't seem too impressed, then we realized that they thought it was a regular turbo car, not a 2.5i with our production kit. I guess we did the kit too well?

After the show, as I mentioned, we headed to Vegas and got some sleep. Not some good sleep, mind you, but better than nothing, especially to our feet. Then today we drove from Vegas to Salt Lake City, Utah. This was especially fun for tuning - during the entire day we've been somewhere between 4000-6600 feet above sea level. Between the hotel and the elevation, our heads have not been happy.

Tuning on 91 octane at these elevations has not been easy on us either. We can certainly say we've tried almost every extreme, between driving through desert areas with apt names like Fire Valley, about 11 billion mountain passes, 80mph at 6600 feet (and yes, thank you, that was legal!) and more. Phew.

Oh, I'm sure you all have questions about the power it's making. A comparison between our stage 2 logs and one of our early tunes (probably the 3rd one, and we are on no.15 I think) showed a bit of a gain, going from about 114hp to about 187, and from about 120ft/lbs of torque to about 190. At 4.5psi of boost (we are being on the ultra careful side). We'll be a bit more aggressive about boost when we are within 150 miles of home (the limit of the free AAA tow...).

Time for some rest, have some meetings in the morning, then about a 10 hour drive n' tune to Portland, Oregon...

Regards,

Paul Hansen

Only 4.5lbs of boost and those numbers are in the EJ205 range. Sad part is all of your tuning is a minimum of 2000 feet higher than my current elevation :-) so I wonder how that will factor in for a potential buyer along the eastern seaboard?

Nice work and isn't Jean near a Cathouse made popular by showtime :-p

We'll be heading over to Rallysport Direct for an hour or two. I would like to stay longer than that, but it's a long hike to Portland, Oregon from here, and we will probably be rolling into there about 11pm.

The tuning is taking place at these 5000+ elevations mainly for safety check. The final tuning is going to be at Seattle sea level. It's just that it's a big country, the base line tuning needs to take in consideration the fact that we'll have people at these elevations, we'll have people with the crap 91 octane, we'll have people in the hot and humid areas, in the desert, etc,. I have to say that, at this time the baseline tune we'll be providing with the kit is just that - a baseline. For best performance for your car, in your conditions, you'll still need that final tune. It's likely that, whatever final numbers we reach on the baseline (probably in the 190-200 range), most people can see another 20-30hp gain with a tune specific to them. Some people may even see 300hp - and the turbo and intercooler will support that.

Regards,

Paul Hansen

I'm so in for this kit if that's what only 4.5psi does! Since our engines are higher compression ratio, does that mean we will require less boost for given increases in hp/tq? I imagine it's going to be a very thin line of boost adjustment in terms of making or breaking the engine internals....

Bwah!? I even had the day off today, why must I have waited until noon to check in on this thread!?! Maybe I can still catch you, I need some brake fluid from rallysport...

We'll be heading over to Rallysport Direct for an hour or two. I would like to stay longer than that, but it's a long hike to Portland, Oregon from here, and we will probably be rolling into there about 11pm.

The tuning is taking place at these 5000+ elevations mainly for safety check. The final tuning is going to be at Seattle sea level. It's just that it's a big country, the base line tuning needs to take in consideration the fact that we'll have people at these elevations, we'll have people with the crap 91 octane, we'll have people in the hot and humid areas, in the desert, etc,. I have to say that, at this time the baseline tune we'll be providing with the kit is just that - a baseline. For best performance for your car, in your conditions, you'll still need that final tune. It's likely that, whatever final numbers we reach on the baseline (probably in the 190-200 range), most people can see another 20-30hp gain with a tune specific to them. Some people may even see 300hp - and the turbo and intercooler will support that.

Regards,

Paul Hansen

Besides, "obsessive" is just a term the lazy use for people that are thorough :lol:

-fishbone

Archived