LegacyGT.com

AVO Turbokit - the Install

yeah im a little late on this, been a while since i visited the forum.. but WHAT!! we got a turbo kit now! WOOOT

i cant see boosting mine since everything i do to my car seems to make it worse, and NO its not from poor expeirence on working on cars but it just seems to be a lemon more.. and more.. every day.. im glad others have luck with this car, and if mine wasent built on a Monday after a late night football game then I would deffinetly consider buying this.

Thanks AVO we all love you!

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^+1 If you want a turbo that badly, then trade in with those low miles and just buy a GT. Way cheaper than putting in the 4k+ that this kit is going to entail. I plan on looking into this kit after a few others have abused I mean used it to see how well they hold up. I have 20k left on my warrenty and bought this car for the reliability as well as the warranty.

Now Paul: Is this kit something that is realistic to install at home and then take it somewhere to be tuned? I consider myself to be a good wrencher, but would this be taking too big of a step. I'm not sure if it would be worth it to buy the kit and then to pay someone big $$$ to install this if it is something that can be done in my garage. Maybe when I go home to visit my parents in Woodinville I will have to stop by and check it out in person.

If you have the proper tools on hand (and none of them are that complicated), you can do this at home in one weekend, easily. Labor costs at a mechanic should be somewhere between 8-12 hours.

I'd like to emphasize, you don't *need* to take it somewhere to get tuned immediately afterwards. The baseline tune is a lot more comprehensive than just getting you on the road to a tuner, we spent 5 days and 3000 miles on it for a reason. It'll do just fine as the only tune you'd need. We are suggesting a pro-tune afterwards for efficiency reasons, you'd just make more power (unless the gas in your area is *reallly* bad) and possibly better gas mileage.

Regards,

Paul Hansen

http://www.avoturboworld.com

There will definitely be long, and detailed, instructions with this kit! That's one of my tasks during the wait for the turbo kits to get here in January. I've now got detailed notes on the Legacy (Outback) 2.5i and the 08 Impreza 2.5i. And I took pictures of the entire install process, and will have them in the guide.

Regards,

Paul Hansen

NOT!! are you crazy never bypass the warranty EVER. Just drive a lot LOL calil and back 4 to 5 times

lol I know..I was just joking,,,I definitely dont ever want to void the warranty. I can certainly wait til its up, the bummer part is I just got a job where I travel 32 weeks a year...uggghh

Hey Paul,

I know you and your team have a lot of time invested in this kit, and the normally aspirated crowd much appreciates you lending talents toward products for our cars. And I mean in no way to step on your toes when I say this, but I have to wonder (and I think I may have seen someone else suggest this somewhere in the past as well) if we could ‘build’ a turbo kit out of LGT owner throw aways (header, up pipe, turbo, downpipe, intercooler, injectors, fuel pumps) for a factory style set-up (turbo down in back, top mount intercooler – I know you’d need a new hood, but I like that look anyway) and then leverage your products for fuel/air control to make it a workable package?

I admit that my knowledge is cursory here, but it seems workable. I for one would prefer the more ‘factory’ look and top mount intercooler if I were to go down this road, and is the real reason why I ask, not because I see and specific deficiencies in the kit as you have created it..

~Scott

'05 Outback 2.5i Wagon

Willow Green Opal/ Moss Green Metallic

225/60HR16 Bridgestone G009's

Well, that sounds like an interesting project - but I'd suggest checking some things out first before you get started. The front crossmember is different on the N/A vs. the turbo model, the turbo exhaust manifold/up-pipe may not fit. I believe that's one of the reasons for going underneath and back up with our custom piping.

Now, I understand the idea of working with these "throwaway" parts, but that's only going to help a few people. Invariably one or more of the parts in question will have to be bought new because a used version couldn't be found. The hood isn't going to be cheap at all, either. And you'll still need to fabricate the oil feed/drain and replumb the breather system and water cooling system - just because the parts bolted up to a turbo motor doesn't mean they'll bolt up to a n/a motor. Not to mention that the intake manifold is different on the N/A than the turbo model.

Finally, your "throwaway" VF40 will need a new actuator. Completely apart from timing/ignition issues, the stock actuator (and nearly every other actuator on the market) isn't going to open up till 8psi at minimum. By the time you add up everything you need to buy individually and then make work, you are probably looking at the same cost as a full engine swap. With hood. And ECU. At which point enters the invariable question, why not just buy a turbo model?

All the above is the reason we didn't go down that path. In the end it's far simpler to just make our own pieces that are designed to work with the n/a, and also far simpler to install and troubleshoot. We can control the variables of supply at that point, and we know it can be installed in a weekend with a minimum of fuss. This isn't the ultimate power kit, this is the kit for people that love their car and simply have gotten tired of downshifting to 3rd to go up the pass, that want a bit more oomph from a stop light (well, 98% more oomph), or just want to have more fun with it.

I don't mind admitting that we have no products of our own for fuel/air control - air, fuel, timing, injector scaling, etc., are being handled via the stock ECU that's been reflashed with ecuFlash. All we've done is driven and tuned for 3000 miles with an expert race, rally, and road tuner that is the designer of the original RS 2.5 kit, so knows exactly what he's doing far more than anybody else.

Regards,

Paul Hansen

All the above is the reason we didn't go down that path. In the end it's far simpler to just make our own pieces that are designed to work with the n/a, and also far simpler to install and troubleshoot. We can control the variables of supply at that point, and we know it can be installed in a weekend with a minimum of fuss. This isn't the ultimate power kit, this is the kit for people that love their car and simply have gotten tired of downshifting to 3rd to go up the pass, that want a bit more oomph from a stop light (well, 98% more oomph), or just want to have more fun with it.

Regards,

Paul Hansen

www.avoturboworld.com

I appreciate your feedback Paul, makes alot of sense. I probably fall right into the category of driver's you have described as well, so maybe some time in the future...

~Scott

'05 Outback 2.5i Wagon

Willow Green Opal/ Moss Green Metallic

225/60HR16 Bridgestone G009's

Paul, do you see any issues with installing the kit on an engine and tranny with 120k miles? I'd be worried about the weak internals not being able to handle the extra load.

Also, is this a product you guys will be carrying from now on? I would be interested in picking this up but not until next summer.

Edit: just remembered your outback had 182k. Is that still holding up well?

Paul, do you see any issues with installing the kit on an engine and tranny with 120k miles? I'd be worried about the weak internals not being able to handle the extra load.

If you read the install process, the car we installed on, and did all the testing on, has 188k on it. Not had an issue yet!

Also, is this a product you guys will be carrying from now on? I would be interested in picking this up but not until next summer.

Definitely. This isn't a limited run item.

Regards,

Paul Hansen

Is there anything special that has to happen for the PZEV vehicles for this to go on?

It seems PZEV models are actually more different than what was stated earlier here.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/borla-headers-58830p2.html

Old thread with expired pictures, anyone who has some new pictures would be helpful here... Pay attention to Kostamojen's posts.

Besides, "obsessive" is just a term the lazy use for people that are thorough :lol:

-fishbone

Archived