LegacyGT.com

AVO Turbokit - the Install

Paul,

I see that you have the heatshield off of the Stock Manifold. DO you have the entire shield off or only the cat/collector section? If you do you may want to put it back on. Ive had two sets of stockers crack (one at the No 3 flange the other at the collector) while the stock untouch unit is still intact at 70K. And you know what im talking about, that heatshield and insulation are hefty and provide structure as well as audible support.

Trying to Weld the collector on those is a bitch, I ended up using 309L filler to patch it up after 316 didnt do the trick. Those are 409 instead of 321

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WA, NY, CO are all tough places to find a decent subaru without paying top dollar and that is why finding an XT or GT for that matter is almost impossible without paying full price. Trust me I looked for a long time to try and find a limited 5spd gt xt or 2.5i that wasn't $$. Needless to say I was forced to get an auto inorder to find a limited with lower miles. This kit is going to be perfect for most of our situations as apposed to "Just buy a GT" since the reality is that there are VERY few of these available in these areas. And the ones that are available go very quickly and at full price.

I know! I've been looking for an 06 legacy 2.5i 5MT for a while now. I found one, in good condition for a decent price. It's at te body shop getting a dent pulled out then if all goes well maybe I'll drive it home, but I haven't heard in almost a week so I'm still keeping a watchful eye.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Paul,

I see that you have the heatshield off of the Stock Manifold. DO you have the entire shield off or only the cat/collector section? If you do you may want to put it back on. Ive had two sets of stockers crack (one at the No 3 flange the other at the collector) while the stock untouch unit is still intact at 70K. And you know what im talking about, that heatshield and insulation are hefty and provide structure as well as audible support.

Trying to Weld the collector on those is a bitch, I ended up using 309L filler to patch it up after 316 didnt do the trick. Those are 409 instead of 321

Oh, it's back on. We just had it off for the install.

Regards,

Paul Hansen

http://www.avoturboworld.com

Paul-

I sent an email through the AVO website. I have read this complete thread, but I have a few follow-up questions. I can ask them all here if that would be easier, but I am really interested in the possibility of ordering your kit.

I have been saving money for a down payment on an '11 WRX, but the trade on my Legacy is crap, so it may make more sense to keep it and to spend some money on mods.

Edit: Wow, thanks for the fast reply to my email!

Paul-

I sent an email through the AVO website. I have read this complete thread, but I have a few follow-up questions. I can ask them all here if that would be easier, but I am really interested in the possibility of ordering your kit.

I have been saving money for a down payment on an '11 WRX, but the trade on my Legacy is crap, so it may make more sense to keep it and to spend some money on mods.

Edit: Wow, thanks for the fast reply to my email!

NO it doesn't make sense, if i knew 2 years ago what i know now i would have waited about 5 more months and bought a LGT. If you ca get a WRX you should (only if it is a sedan :lol:)

NO it doesn't make sense, if i knew 2 years ago what i know now i would have waited about 5 more months and bought a LGT. If you ca get a WRX you should (only if it is a sedan :lol:)

5-door. I need the hatch for all the kid stuff I haul around. Plus, I like the looks better on the 5-door over the sedan.

5-door. I need the hatch for all the kid stuff I haul around. Plus, I like the looks better on the 5-door over the sedan.

Oh ok :lol: In any event that is the better route in this situation/choice with the WRX you start off with more power than this kit can make reliably and you have waaaaaaay more room to add to that :)

Insurance rates alone will keep me from ever buying a WRX (insurance on a WRX would be over 40% of my loan payment with an excellent driving record, not acceptable for me).. Swapping or a turbo kit are great choices IMO, if done well..

Insurance rates alone will keep me from ever buying a WRX (insurance on a WRX would be over 40% of my loan payment with an excellent driving record, not acceptable for me).. Swapping or a turbo kit are great choices IMO, if done well..

This may vary from one insurance company to another, but if I mod my car (significantly) and don't report that, I can have huge issues.

First off, if the mod is not disclosed and it adds value, it may not be covered, and second, if it is one that might increase the likelihood of an accident (and let's face it- this kind of HP increase probably falls into that category) it could result in insurance not covering damages to another vehicle AND may expose you to personal liability for failing to disclose the mod to insurance.

Once they re-rate you for the mod, it might be a dead heat. Or you might still be ahead. You have to ask to know for sure.

You must be young or a terrible driver or live in NJ or your insurance agent is shafting you.

Anyway Paul you need to get some videos UP or the car in action :) And so people stay on topic and not on insurance or WRX's :lol:

You must be young or a terrible driver or live in NJ or your insurance agent is shafting you.

Anyway Paul you need to get some videos UP or the car in action :) And so people stay on topic and not on insurance or WRX's :lol:

My 13yr driving record is literally flawless and I pay $70 a month for full coverage on my LGT, so dumb comment there.. :lol:

Secondly, I was commenting on the value of a good turbo kit like this in relation to just simply getting a WRX, which was your comment :confused:

But, you're right, back on topic :). Looking forward to an update and some video myself.

My 13yr driving record is literally flawless and I pay $70 a month for full coverage on my LGT, so dumb comment there.. :lol:

Lets get this straight you said your insurance payment would be 40% of your car payment either your payment is low or your insurance is outrageous how can that be "dumb" ? I don't care about your driving record nor did you mention it before your reply, so there is no way for me to use that info in a response.

Sorry I haven't been updating guys. The office/warehouse has been moving/is now moved from last week, just finally get a few seconds to breath (and lather on the bengay to the aching muscles).

That said, I'm taking off Friday morning to California to have a booth at the Redline Time Attack in LA on Sunday. It's actually a Saturday/Sunday event, but I don't think I'll arrive in time to booth it up Saturday. And yes, I'm driving the Outback down and back again - I'll break the 200k mark on this trip.

Regards,

Paul Hansen

http://www.avoturboworld.com

Archived