LegacyGT.com

Top Mount Intake Project. Autodesk

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so i took some very precise measurements of clearance under tho hood, mounting points, distances from firewall to throttle body, hose clearance, etc etc etc.. lots of details...

i also started working on the box design, minus the hose an TB holes, im 99% sure you guys will spring for this design as the final product, as long as it hits the model space like its in my mind... so far things are awesome, i wont reveal until im done.. probably this time tomorrow night so stay tuned!! :)

gotta admit the 5 years of engineering classes helped me out A LOT here, lol

I wanna see nowwwzzzz, hahaha

today i took a 3hr lunch to have beer and see what it our dream would look like, I went to my friends house and for shits and giggles tried on his TMIC. its going to look awweeeesomeee!!!!!!!!

oh and I'm Jon btw,

Brandon here

So my dad is bringing home his work laptop today, and he's a mech. engineer with alot of years under the hood of camaros, firebirds, corvettes, and so on. He's ridiculous with cad, and last night I mentioned this to him and he's on board with helping me start modeling! I know I'll need to learn at some point, but we're gonna take dimensions and I'll get his input on what would be the best idea as far as routing pipe and the seal and whatnot. This is just for my benefit with learning cad though, so if justin's is what he says it'll be, my money's with him. Still, can't wait to learn modeling!

AND I MIGHT BE PICKING UP A 98 GT. WITH A 2.5 AND FIVE SPEED BY THE END OF THE WEEK! I have to say goodbye to the one I have now though :(

hi. im joe. or you can still say amp. thats why i use this name everywhere online.

you guys got this. i was looking at ma car for an hour yesterday and have servel ideas but i dont have the smart to predict airflow. we need someone that is good at aerospace engineering

How is this going to be tested on a dyno? I mean, granted you'll see a difference if it makes an effective CAI, but I'm thinking there's no way to test the ram air effect if your car is sitting still. That being said, I think this project is a sweet idea, can't wait to see what you guys do with it.

Yep I'm Kyle. Homework has got the best of me right now but later in the week I will be helping again.

milooney you can place sensors much like the MAF and read the voltage from the sensor and test between the stock design, maybe a weapon-r and then our design. If you test it at the throttle body you can see which forces more air into the throttle body. I don't know if we will end up doing this but this would be an effective way to test the air flow. Plus we could add a boost gauge and see if we add a pound or two of boost haha

joe what do you mean by log? he's got a point though, there's no way to dyno the thing unless there's a fan blowing 60mph wind across the hood as it's going 60 or something; there's no real way to test the ram air. I think it's just one of those "bonuses" you get with a project; it's a great spot to put the filter to get cold air and everything, but there's also the advantage of air getting forced in at higher speed. maybe there's not alot of pressure, but it's definitely something there.

I think I know what he is talking about when he says "log". There's a way with some cars that you can plug a computer into your car and record various data while it is running, I'm not sure what kind of data you would want to collect to figure it out, because I don't think it has a way of recording horsepower, or boost, as it is a NA car to start. I guess you could look at fuel to air ratio and stuff though. I think the boost gauge would be the best way to go, but I'm not sure how sensitive those are, seeing as you would be getting a very small pressure change.

Yes you can log the data. You would need to find the voltage to air ratio for the MAF then plug it into something like a labjack and record the data using a program like MATLAB. I have done this stuff with similar sensors at school. We wouldn't have to use the MAF, we could use something that reports the air speed and air density.

dude, I can't wait to get to school for this stuff! it sounds like a blast; so I'm starting with cad now and I have to say it's got potential to be really powerful with someone who knows what they're doing (opposite of me). I'm going to go through a few things with it and get the feel of modeling, then try to start with the boot.

kaz i recond finding lessons on line. like just print out.. i started this year like this.. step one draw 1by1 box. step 2 extude shape back 1 unit. step 3 build off block. and making random designs that would be assembled into a 3by3 by 3 cube. than moved on to modeling shape in our "packet" starting from spare and moveing up into more and more complex shapes. than threads. than advanced modeling using the tools in the program each block had a Certain tool that was meant to be used. than we have to reverse engineer somthing. i did an Rc shock of a traxxas stampede and also modeled one of the control arms. i also have made a few 18 inch car rims. to spec and everything. its my funnest class of the day. and now we are in partner ship with a shop and like building a product for realz. like 3d printer prototypes and we may have molds made for our product and market it! the other teams made different products but ours was picked to move on. thats why i have be unable to focus and have been really really hyper. ill bring home some models maybe.

holy crap. i just remeber reaching 700post a little while ago. now im at 800. edit. infact my 700th post was in this same thread. haha

that's awesome! damn, every one of us is like halfway across the country from another, wish we could meet up and do this. and then I learn cad from you guys :D

haha I was just trying to figure out extruding to make a shock tower for, coincidentally, a traxxas rustler. my dad's friend has a machine shop for small parts, and he said he could make one out of delrin so that it'd quit breaking on me after every jump.

back to subaru: for time's sake, I'll just stick with ideas and sketches and have you guys do the cad models and come up with stuff if that's ok. I love learning all about it though!!

i love being surronded by people that like learning. there are only 8 kids in my class. it started with 13. and maybe 3 in the class really really like cad.

as for the intake. i think reversing THIS(see below)sketch will work the best.

2047887317_showeridea...yeainameditthat.thumb.jpg.56a5754854311fe9b4591437c2854e1f.jpg

DSC00154.thumb.jpg.d5013f44e48283ff614549a2b0bd53ac.jpg

ah exactly. good, that's what I was hoping would happen. we make the bottom right half of the box as the outlet tube, then route it around with as little tube as possible, put the maf at the back, then wrap it back to the TB.

that's awesome! damn, every one of us is like halfway across the country from another, wish we could meet up and do this. and then I learn cad from you guys :D

haha I was just trying to figure out extruding to make a shock tower for, coincidentally, a traxxas rustler. my dad's friend has a machine shop for small parts, and he said he could make one out of delrin so that it'd quit breaking on me after every jump.

back to subaru: for time's sake, I'll just stick with ideas and sketches and have you guys do the cad models and come up with stuff if that's ok. I love learning all about it though!!

There are some really cheap CD modeling software out there that you could learn off of. They all have very similar commands so switching is pretty easy. Or you can be like justin and get it for free haha.

http://help.solidworks.com/2010/English/SolidWorks/sldworks/LegacyHelp/Sldworks/Overview/StartPage.htm

This is the solidworks help site and if you read through some of this you can pick up a lot of the skills.

the webpage closes up everytime I try to navigate on it; it says the page is trying to close itself :( I'm going to sit in on a few cad classes tomorrow at the hs just to get a general feel, then have my dad help with some stuff. but enough about me and my lack of modeling guys, we have an awesome idea here that needs to get agreed upon and made up because we're subaru geniuses. we should get on SOA's payroll, make millions, then all get s402s and enjoy champagne somewhere together in sunny florida with babes surrounding us.

am I getting too far ahead? :spin: but seriously, I know joe is working on his model, and justin has something in the works. should we recap what we have and what we're going to need to do from this point on?

actually i have not started my second model. i may just save what i got. and just start on it. move the 3d point around and make the box deeper.

do you guys want a complete model. like hood to tb. i will not include the maf mount in it yet. or maybe ill make it to the right spec. it should consist of the box with the tube coming off it. you know what i aint goona sit here and sound like an idiot. just gonna get to work,

Oh dang well google solidworks help and it will come up. Also you can look up autocad help.

I will get working on my concept at the end of this week.

Look what I found for anyone that want to play around a FREE 30 day trail of autocad 2011.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?siteID=123112&id=13779351

yea thats what i did. but i have a student thing with them. if you talk to a teacher he could maybe get you an account on autodesk and you can get anything. i could be a bamf and just get another serial for you.. its legal casue we are learning students. your parents pay taxes!

So i was directed here by Zeus. I got lost with all the CAD discussions. I started the thread on SL-i.net. I think I have everything worked out I just need my student loan to come in. Should be done by June first at the latest. I'll post pics and a DIY if it all works but i'd love someone to fill me in on the reason for all the CAD work.

Archived