LegacyGT.com

Diet/Workout Discussion Thread

last late part of summer leading into fall I was doing a training session on my bike to prep for cyclocross season. long story short, I only had 1 hand on the bar and I hit a rock and wrecked. went over the handle bar, flipped and landed on my back, with my elbow out to protect.

ended up with a minor shoulder injury, but it took me out of lifting for sometime. stiff and pain with ROM. FINALLY feeling better. did a bit of rehab but it's finally coming around. started lifting again and it's feels great.

still have to be careful. we think I have what's called a slap tear

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
last late part of summer leading into fall I was doing a training session on my bike to prep for cyclocross season. long story short, I only had 1 hand on the bar and I hit a rock and wrecked. went over the handle bar, flipped and landed on my back, with my elbow out to protect.

ended up with a minor shoulder injury, but it took me out of lifting for sometime. stiff and pain with ROM. FINALLY feeling better. did a bit of rehab but it's finally coming around. started lifting again and it's feels great.

still have to be careful. we think I have what's called a slap tear

ouch glad you are okay, my track coach was a big time biker and triathlon, competed in olympic trials for tri and marathon as well as the Ironman Triathlon. my junior year he was side swept by a Coach bus, two cars drove over him (with out actually running him over, got very very very lucky), if he wasn't wearing a helmet probably would have had major head injuries. He came out of the accident with multiple fractured false ribs, minor spinal cord damage, lucky there wasn't any major permanent damage. That accident pretty much ended his professional career. Biking can be very dangerous at times.

agreed. I've had 2 head trauma related accidents related to biking. first I shattered my helmet hitting a rock head first, walked away from that one. saw stars, but was never confirmed as a concussion. second was a side "tap" on a metal box in a race. didn't realize til the next day I had a concussion.

went to the hospital and they confirmed it based on my signs/symptoms.

sad part about those is they come easier each time. :redface:

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Yeah I grew up BMX racing and dirt jumping and have had 8 concusions of various severity. My very first BMX race I blacked out coming onto the 2nd straight and went head first into the gooseneck with my face and rolled with the bike. My friends parents said that nobody was allowed to touch me while the EMT's came over. In the time that it took the EMT's to come over I came too and got up even though people were telling me to stay down and yelling it to me.

The only thing I remember from any of this even 15 years later is that I came out of the first berm in 1st peddling my ass off onto the 2nd straight. I hit the first table top and then remember seeing the 2nd one coming up. After that I was at the snack bar with a friend getting some water and my shoulder, face, left side hurt like a b!tch.

I still to this day only wish someone had video recorded it so I could at least have something to watch of it all. I never saw a first place position ever again after that as they always raced me against higher class riders. I stopped racing 2 years later completely and just stuck to dirt jumping. Now I mtn bike and road bike but am not competitive at all. I do miss the spirit of competition though as I grew up in sports but I'm just not sure where and what I want to do going forward to get back into it.

this is my addiction:

What is there to fear? I road race for 4 years on a local team just after High School, and did several Triathalons inbetween. It's the thrill of the competition.
My wife's balls are delicious.

The average pace on flat land was usually around 28 - 30 mph, depending on the team that was leading the pac. I've had my share of crashes, nothing a bandaid and some rest couldn't fix. :lol:

Racing in criteriums where my favorites, I love the fast pace, tight corners and the all out sprints. Nothing gives you more of an adrenaline rush then being shoulder to shoulder in a full sprint.

cyclocross has it's own hazards. speed is not one of them. hazards are more physical....like barriers, sandpits/mud pits, etc....

I warn you. once you do one....you'll want to do another.

I've got 2 Cx bikes now. latest is a Bianchi Zurigo. it's a sweet bike. thinking about converting my old cx bike (now pit bike) to disc brake.

Those are nice bikes. During my racing days (1989 -1992) I was riding on a Shogun 1000 which was a cross breed of a road racing/triathalon bike. The only problem was it only came in pink/gray and I had to man it up a little and add more black strips down the tubes. The original bike looked like this back then. I still have the bike and it's a nice piece of art up on my garage wall. :lol:

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfd8VsAqzL4tj9t3xsaU9LrNEZ0-sMn4g7U9lLG3LKbZs2uSA58EEr8rW2

I only wish I had the endurance to ride a bike at a 28mph pace. My average pace with no wind is about 20mph if wind is there against me though its like 15-17mph.. I have no muslce endurance anymore and am like 70lbs heavier now then I was back in my racing days so its a lot more mass to move around.

bikes are fun. I've got 6 in the house now. aiming for 2 more:lol:

I have a 3 year old Specialized Allez Compact Double... Based on my love for biking when i was younger, I bought it on a whim, thinking it would be a great cross training tool. It's hanging in my garage with less than 350 miles on it! Waste of $1500 so far.

I've used it in a few (relay) tri's... I dont swim, but i would always do the run... And then the bike once i picked up the Allez.

Archived