LegacyGT.com

Racer X (itsme) FMIC install

itsme

So I installed my FMIC this past Labor Day and all it running great. I have one question for those that are lowered on coilovers springs. I'm not yet, but I have a set of Tarmacs 1's coming this week.

I have already scraped the lowest section of the piping that sticks out under the car. I'm afraid to put the coilovers on now as I'd expect it to not last very long due to scraping. Has anyone had issues with the lower pipe scraping? I'm going to try and adjust a little this week, but from what I recall it may be able to move up a half inch with some ties, but I'm not very confident that will get around the issue when my coilovers are on.

I have KW v.2 on my car for years and I have not had this problem.. But, I'm also running 19x7.5 w/ 225/35/19. So maybe it gives me more clearance. But, it depends on your roads, driveways and how low your car will be. Also the soft stock springs are more likely to bottom out then the stiffer coilovers.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have KW v.2 on my car for years and I have not had this problem.. But, I'm also running 19x7.5 w/ 225/35/19. So maybe it gives me more clearance. But, it depends on your roads, driveways and how low your car will be. Also the soft stock springs are more likely to bottom out then the stiffer coilovers.

Its unlikely I would get away with the things you clear Bryan on my 18" with similar setup. In fact, I dount I could get in and out of your driveway without high-sideing in the middle. I can't, mine.

my side skirts are 4 inches from the ground, i scrape everywhere i go but haven't recorded one scrape on the lowest piping you're talking about. it was a worry of mine too but it looks like it isnt a problem.

In general worry about approaching very steep driveway entrances where the nose might hit. If you pretend you have a really low lip, it will be unlikely that you will ever have problems.

• Mega Users
my side skirts are 4 inches from the ground, i scrape everywhere i go but haven't recorded one scrape on the lowest piping you're talking about. it was a worry of mine too but it looks like it isnt a problem.

this

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

• Mega Users

I havent hit the coldside piping. I always try to take sharp inclines at an angle, mostly because of the coldside pipe. I wish I didn't have to worry about it, but I do.

I haven't had any issues with the hump coupler. My core will see its second winter this year, and it sees a lot of salt. I keep the couplers on the core greased and covered with copper pipe tubing to keep them from rotting out.

I've never hit driving around the mean streets of DC with almost 500lb of dude up front...

You didn't look like you were 500lbs when I saw you last month. Maybe you have been eating too many crabs. Or were you talking about when you took me for a ride in your car. We might be closer to 550lbs.;) lol

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

LosAngelesLGT had two kits that had the cold side hit the ground and scrape. I have seen more than a few that have hit the ground and scraped both hot side and cold side. The pipes can be the lowest point on the front of the car. Lower than the tow hooks and sometimes lower than the pan. Depends on the install. If riding low, or on soft suspension, or traveling over obstacles, I would check the pipes periodically.

Building a motor in a 05 LGT wagon that already has a RacerX FMIC now. It is on Bilsteins and Swifts. No pipes have hit the ground. But, the cold side pipe (rev 2) has been slammed against the timing cover. The hump hose coupler is worn all the way through. The timing cover bolt had already been removed. Will see how well I can correct this when the motor goes back in.

Would say this is more a function of too low/soft suspension and/or driver inattention to the front, or, as Mike mentioned, even the installation itself. Of course in LA/SoCal, anything can and will find its way off the freeway into/under your bumper, your undertray, and AC/condensor/radiator, so YMMV. I'm sure Mike will over-obsess about how everything goes back together so correct install shouldn't be an issue going forward. :)

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Yeah, mine rubs against the timing cover bolt too. I even have the low profile bolt in. The only way I can see it not rubbing is relocating the top of the washer fluid res and shifting the core more towards the driver's side, but it's so tight right there to begin with.

I just put some quiksteel crap where it rubs every now and then.

KW2, 1.5 to 2 finger gap. Not low. Not soft. Some driver inattention, unlikely any more than other DD's at that time in our LGT's life. FACTS: Some driveways are steeper than others. MSprank installed my RacerX. If pipes hang lower than tow hook, tray, etc, they are the first thing to get bumped. Routing of the pipes is what it is.

A bankrupt state with a backlog of over a billion dollar of road repairs, a crooked county and no vehicle road worthyness checks = majorly hazardous roads in Los Angeles County for anything other than trucks and SUV. There is a reason the wife will not let me lower the OBXT.

Some experience may vary.

I believe it has a little more to do with the install, the piping everyone is talking about doesn’t hang any lower than the tow hook on my ride. It did hang lower when I had my engine rebuilt, but I took it apart again and installed it tight and correct.

My pipes are the lowest part of my car. I have H-techs and bilsteins, so a slight drop. I bumped into a curb with my pipes once and there is a small dent, but nothing that affects functionality. Other than that, rocks and debris have left some scrapes on the pipes, but again nothing that concerns me at all. I am very cautious when I'm straddeling (sp?) large items though.

I got the living hell scared out of me a couple of weeks ago. I went to an impound yard to pick up the car and as I was walking up, I saw them moving my car around off in the distance. They were moving it with a very large forklift. The forks went straight under teh front of the car. I thought my FMIC was completely toast. When I finally got that car back I looked and there wasn't a single dent or scratch on those pipes... to this day I still think it was an act of God that saved them.

lol

I believe it has a little more to do with the install, the piping everyone is talking about doesn’t hang any lower than the tow hook on my ride

Believe what you want. You would have to have HEAVILY modified a racer X for the pipe not to hang lower than my tow hook. A fitment issue. Not an install issue. PERIOD. Ive had TWO of the FMIC representing several versions in and out of my car multiple times...

Ive also installed in other cars and had other experiences so as I said, experience may vary. Not all cars are the same. There is a shocking variance acceptable from the factory, and I mean Subaru not RacerX. :lol:

Installed mine this past friday. Easy install, well minus the me being picky with how much my bumper gets trimmed and taking 2 hours to get that where I'm happy lol. On top of it the car is making great power. Keep up the good work!

The tricks? Keep the pipes wrapped till you get them IN CAR and then unwrap them. Helps a lot with keeping the coldside clean and pretty. No great bumper trick. Better to clut slow and be happy than to say f-it and cut more than you need to and regret it later.

You can always cut more. I did.

http://i52.tinypic.com/2rcxs37.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/16k0rr9.jpg

I got it done after working into the wee hours of the morning. Bumpers a tight fit but I think it looks good. Maybe when I wash the car I'll get a pic of that area. I really need to order myself another black coupler, the blue one drives me nuts

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8036/8037934105_a4b9ddb2b6_c.jpg

• Mega Users

shit son that looks good. I had to cut my bumper down and I did a shit job doing it so mine looks kinda bunk. I don't really care tho. I don't rock a screen over my core, and I haven't had a problem yet. This cars sees some ish in the winter.

I don't mind the blue at all. Is that the AVO intake? And does the shield protect the underside of the intake?

• Mega Users
Thanks!,I have a K&N. Filter still sits up in the bay. Under the filter is just the fender liner.

gotcha. my fender liners are all torn up, I gotta get new ones.

• 2 months later...
Does anyone have the part number for the NAPA radiator hose that can be used to replace the BOV dump tube? I know I've seen it on this forum before, but cannot find it again.

I took my old stock hose to autozone and they were able to match it.

Archived