LegacyGT.com

Fixed stupid dash rattle..

Deer Killer

Can somebody post that service bulletin mentioned above re fix for rattle in dash?

+1

I've had it in there twice for two different rattles in the dash. Murphy's Law applied and no matter how much banging the service manager did, it wouldn't rattle.

Now the second time, they're saying that my accident in janurary caused a clip to break and that's rattling around.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay i read through the post and nobody seems to have the exact wierd rattle i had last night which came and then this morning was magically gone, it was rattling on the left side of the dash somewhere about right between the side window defroster vent and the end of where the gauge pod meets the flat part of the dash.. Anybody have one like this?
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Okay i read through the post and nobody seems to have the exact wierd rattle i had last night which came and then this morning was magically gone, it was rattling on the left side of the dash somewhere about right between the side window defroster vent and the end of where the gauge pod meets the flat part of the dash.. Anybody have one like this?

I do remember a thread with somebody tearing apart the left side of their dashboard assembly to get at a rattle. Not sure if it was exactly like yours.

Think I do, it goes away if you push down on the dash near the window by the A pillar. First heard it on the passenger side briefly on a long road trip, that went away. Now it's intermittent on the drivers side.

That is the rattle/squeek I had. Someone posted a pics with red and blue circles denoting the location of the squeek. If you push down on the dash, left side, corner closest to the a pillar and windshield does it squeek? If so thats mine. It did it more with temperature fluctuations.

That is the rattle/squeek I had. Someone posted a pics with red and blue circles denoting the location of the squeek. If you push down on the dash, left side, corner closest to the a pillar and windshield does it squeek? If so thats mine. It did it more with temperature fluctuations.

I fixed this last weekend with jamming a piece of cardboard in-between the dash and the window. Rob and I tore apart the dash and that helped a little but the cardboard was the final fix

• 3 weeks later...
I fixed this last weekend with jamming a piece of cardboard in-between the dash and the window. Rob and I tore apart the dash and that helped a little but the cardboard was the final fix

http://www.stimpco.com/carpix/rattle.jpg

So if shoving this paper right here stops the rattle the best bet is to just find a less conspicuous way to fill that gap in?

Hmm I guess we'll just mess with it on saturday when we put in the boostie gauge.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

So if shoving this paper right here stops the rattle the best bet is to just find a less conspicuous way to fill that gap in?

Hmm I guess we'll just mess with it on saturday when we put in the boostie gauge.

I had luck with the little spacers mentioned earlier. I found mine in the Home Depot section with all of the felt pads for furnature. Only problem I have is that in the heat, it's stickness got less sticky and the two spacers slid apart so there was less pressure on the dash. I figured I'd superglue 'em together or whatever to prevent that from happening.

So quick question...I have been following this but sparingly...has anyone found a dealer who is taking care of this at all?

Before I go back and read it all again...

J

My dealer took whole dash out and put some rubber material in every joint at the dash/windshield junction. No more rattles for me, except by the glove-box which I think I can fix.

• 1 month later...
Hello all...I have been suffering through eleven (yes, 11) months (yes, MONTHS) of rattles in my '05 Legacy 2.5i...It has been into the dealership on three occasions to find the rattle located behind the far left drivers side vent, to no avail. With only about 1,000 miles left on the warranty, I tried a different dealership. YAY! It worked! For about 900 miles, of course...the solution I thought worked was replacing the entire drivers side vent, as they explained they found a broken clip behind the vent, yadda yadda yadda...Well, I literally have 26 miles left on my warranty, and the rattle is back, oh-so-subtly...I took the dash side panel off this morning, and WHAM one of the clips holding THAT on broke, so now I have to shell out $35 for a new dash side panel, and that won't even fix the rattle! And when I got the panel off, a mystery screw fell into my hand, so who knows what that is from...I have to say, for a car they want to compete against the Accords, Camrys & Altimas of the world, they really manufacture a cheaply assembled product...a thread thats ten pages long about the same flippin' rattle should make Subaru ashamed of themselves...I had a 1993 Accord SE with 218,000 miles on it before I got this Legacy (NEW), and I never had one rattle in it, and I ABUSED that car - this one, I baby...apparently, unsuccessfully...
If you ever catch on fire, try to avoid looking in a mirror, because I bet that will really throw you into a panic.

Hello all...I have been suffering through eleven (yes, 11) months (yes, MONTHS) of rattles in my '05 Legacy 2.5i...It has been into the dealership on three occasions to find the rattle located behind the far left drivers side vent, to no avail. With only about 1,000 miles left on the warranty, I tried a different dealership. YAY! It worked! For about 900 miles, of course...the solution I thought worked was replacing the entire drivers side vent, as they explained they found a broken clip behind the vent, yadda yadda yadda...Well, I literally have 26 miles left on my warranty, and the rattle is back, oh-so-subtly...I took the dash side panel off this morning, and WHAM one of the clips holding THAT on broke, so now I have to shell out $35 for a new dash side panel, and that won't even fix the rattle! And when I got the panel off, a mystery screw fell into my hand, so who knows what that is from...I have to say, for a car they want to compete against the Accords, Camrys & Altimas of the world, they really manufacture a cheaply assembled product...a thread thats ten pages long about the same flippin' rattle should make Subaru ashamed of themselves...I had a 1993 Accord SE with 218,000 miles on it before I got this Legacy (NEW), and I never had one rattle in it, and I ABUSED that car - this one, I baby...apparently, unsuccessfully...

11 months? I don't know how people just deal with it although I think some people have a worse rattle than others.

I had one on the left side but I fixed it myself. My newest rattle from the center of the dash is another story though, I can alleviate it a bit but I cannot get rid of it 100% using the same tactic as the corners. So because of this I AM removing the entire dashboard myself this Sunday. I think my noise is from the ducts that supply air to the vents or just the firewall hitting the edge of the plastic dashboard.

I might take some pictures of the process and post them in my other thread but I'm still unsure of that. Mainly because most people on here are afraid to completely remove the dashboard and would rather just let a dealer handle it, thus negating the purpose of any form of write up.

11 months? I don't know how people just deal with it although I think some people have a worse rattle than others.

I had one on the left side but I fixed it myself. My newest rattle from the center of the dash is another story though, I can alleviate it a bit but I cannot get rid of it 100% using the same tactic as the corners. So because of this I AM removing the entire dashboard myself this Sunday. I think my noise is from the ducts that supply air to the vents or just the firewall hitting the edge of the plastic dashboard.

Umm, How exactly did you fix your rattle on the left side? I checked your other thread and didn't see anything. I've tried everything except taking the dash out, or going to another dealer.

Adventure Subaru felt that my front end collision was the cause of the rattle on the left side and told me that it wouldn't be covered under the warrenty. They've stuck to that even after I pointed him here saying that there are others that are having the same problem in the same spot as I am having.

Another thing I noticed with my car, the portion of the dash with the windshield defrosters is loose and has lifted an eighth of an inch from the rest of the dash. Pressing there seems to lessen the rattle, but it's still present.

Umm, How exactly did you fix your rattle on the left side? I checked your other thread and didn't see anything. I've tried everything except taking the dash out, or going to another dealer.

My other thread isn't about how I fixed that driver's side rattle which is why you never saw my fix.

I took rubber weather stripping from Ace harware and doubled it up, then stuffed it between the windshield and dashboard. You can barely see the weather stripping and the noise stopped immediately. This is the cheap way out but it works. I just wish it worked for my center rattle.

Subaru claimed to have fixed my dash rattle three times, even taking the whole dash off and working on it.

It came back every time. I shoved a small piece of paper between the glass and the dash. 99% of the rattle is gone :)

Paper > Subaru Dealer

I did the same with good results but I used a high density black foam material as paper will usually become loose

.....update..... after a few weeks a new rattle started in that area (driver side a pillar and dash) I checked the side panel per this forum and it was moveable and kinda loose so I took it off and drove to work with it off and had no dash rattles. very happy. now just need to fix it so it won't rattle while on

I also had the infamous dash rattle. My dealer swore that it was the cluster, and for some reason, decided to replace the cluster lens and finishing ring. It made NO DIFFERENCE at all. As many have said, the entire dash was squeaking against the body. I decided to check the mounting myself, and as soon as I pulled off the end cap, I saw that the mounting screw tab was broken off.

Off to the dealer, who agreed to replace the dash. They had the car for two days (rental out of my pocket AGAIN). They did a great job of replacing the dash. No scratches, gaps, etc. Now the f**cking cluster ring rattles. At least it isn't as bad a the whole dash rattling. I will probably put double-sided tape on the cluster myself this weekend. :icon_mad:

-- Steve

My plastic was also cracked right off, the screw was not in very tight though, I used a washer on each side of what was laft of the plastic tab and pushed dash slightly foward and tightened screw, RATTLE GONE !!!, I swore it was the cluster rattling but hey?, It's fixed THANK YOU FORUMS !!!

Instead of removing the side instrument panel screws and modifing the instrument panel as suggested, it is better to move the brackets that these screws are attached to. Take a hammer and tap the two brackets upward and this will move the instrument panel guide pin into the firewall cup. (Be careful not to hit the yellow air bag connector in the area.) By seating the pins deeper into the firewall cup the instrument panel will not move and the squeek is eliminated. It is best not to modify the screw areas of the instrument panel because it could lead to the area breaking. This is by far the easiest way to repair this squeek.

• 4 months later...
What exactly do you mean by moving the dash forward? Toward the seats or firewall?

Thanks.

Don't forget -- there is now a service bull. out about this dash rattle. It has to do with modding the clips that hold in the top part of the dash.

Archived