LegacyGT.com

Fixed stupid dash rattle..

Deer Killer

sorry, haven't read all the pages. but will the dealer cover this if im under factory warranty? assuming they would? trust, ill go in armed with the info from previous pages (yet read)

I brought my car into the dealership (Stohlman, in Tysons, VA) 3 times to get my dash rattle fixed (the one the OG references). They attempted to fix it all 3 times and there was even a TSB put out for it. All attempts failed.

I finally did the dremeling last weekend and holy shit the rattle/creak is GONE! :dm:

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I brought my car into the dealership (Stohlman, in Tysons, VA) 3 times to get my dash rattle fixed (the one the OG references). They attempted to fix it all 3 times and there was even a TSB put out for it. All attempts failed.

I finally did the dremeling last weekend and holy shit the rattle/creak is GONE! :dm:

Did you use the technique described in the first post of this thread? Both sides?

Thank you for this information- I think I fixed my Dash Rattle!!!!! I placed a piece of soft rubber between the plastic dash piece (which was broken) and the metal bracket. I then put in a bolt with a rubber washer and a larger flat washer on the outside and a lock nut on the inside. 15 minutes well spent!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
this fix is uber easy, take some rubber door seal, at a local hardware store, and cut it to the length of the windshield. i think its a 3/8 thick, one side has a sticky surface, but i just left the tape on the sticky side. stuff it the whole length of your dash between the dash and windshield. bam... rattle free for 6 months, cost me $7 and you cant even tell its there

• 1 month later...
I have to give it Subaru for consistency. I've had a new 2006 Legacy, a new 2008 (bad year) and now a new 2009 3.0R. It's my 2nd week with the '09. Low and behold, when the outside temperature got low enough, this same rattle surfaced. (base of the A-pillar on driver side). I love my car, but it is ridiculous on Subaru's part not to have addressed this by now. I mentioned it to the service depts on multiple visits with both my '06 and '08 and they never could duplicate it (because it was summer, and it doesn't rattle when it's hot). I WILL have it addressed on this one.

I have to give it Subaru for consistency. I've had a new 2006 Legacy, a new 2008 (bad year) and now a new 2009 3.0R. It's my 2nd week with the '09. Low and behold, when the outside temperature got low enough, this same rattle surfaced. (base of the A-pillar on driver side). I love my car, but it is ridiculous on Subaru's part not to have addressed this by now. I mentioned it to the service depts on multiple visits with both my '06 and '08 and they never could duplicate it (because it was summer, and it doesn't rattle when it's hot). I WILL have it addressed on this one.

Try what fixed it for me - take out the driver's side vent and drive around for a while to see if the rattle is still there.

this fix is uber easy, take some rubber door seal, at a local hardware store, and cut it to the length of the windshield. i think its a 3/8 thick, one side has a sticky surface, but i just left the tape on the sticky side. stuff it the whole length of your dash between the dash and windshield. bam... rattle free for 6 months, cost me $7 and you cant even tell its there

Can you specify in more detail the product (dimensions, etc.) that you used? Is it sticky on one side? How difficult is it to wedge it in there? I'd like to try this. When I pull forward on my dash when its rattling, the rattle goes away, so it would make sense that this would work.

• 4 weeks later...
It definitely goes away when I smash my finger between the windsheld and dash right near the corner; so I guess something just has to be lodged in there to take care of it, like someone above said. And although I'm usually a do-it-yourselfer, this is a new car, so I will ask the dealer to do it first.

It definitely goes away when I smash my finger between the windsheld and dash right near the corner; so I guess something just has to be lodged in there to take care of it, like someone above said. And although I'm usually a do-it-yourselfer, this is a new car, so I will ask the dealer to do it first.

Mine has been acting up lately too(colder weather?). You are right, if you push on the trim below the windshield it takes care of the sound.

I tried pushing in on the lower dash where the first post ID's the problem screw and it also took care of the sound. Seems they are related and either way will take care of the problem.

I tried the dremel technique from the first post where you pop off the side pieces. I didn't notice much of any improvement by doing that. The rubber door seal technique mentioned in a couple posts prior did work for me though. It didn't fit just leaving the tape on the sticky side, however, so I had to carefully reduce the thickness by cutting a thin strip off containing the tape and sticky side. After carefully wedging this in between my windshield and the dash the entire length of the dash....rattle free. If you do it neatly, you hardly notice it. It just looks like it belongs there as a part of the car. You can test to verify this works by actually pulling the dash towards you to see if the rattle goes away because that is what the door seal actually does.

i want to try this to fix the rattle, but i have to fix an previous error.

i was trying to fix this rattle last year by placing these rubber spacers i bought in between the glass and dash. but i dropped a piece into the vents! now i think the piece is causing more rattles. how do i get the vent piece off? its the vent trim piece that runs along/between the windshield and dash. in previous subaru's i can just pull it off easily. now not so much. is there a special way?

I just went the rubber strip method and so far it's worked great. I had put a rubber grommet in the space earlier in the summer but after a few hot days the gromet softened up enough to slip down into the dash. So, with the weather strip I actually used the sticky side so it would (hopefully) stay attached to my dash. Thanks for the tip! Now on the the sunroof rattle and the one I can't find.

1 down, two to go.......for now.

• 3 weeks later...
I tried the dremel technique from the first post where you pop off the side pieces. I didn't notice much of any improvement by doing that. The rubber door seal technique mentioned in a couple posts prior did work for me though. It didn't fit just leaving the tape on the sticky side, however, so I had to carefully reduce the thickness by cutting a thin strip off containing the tape and sticky side. After carefully wedging this in between my windshield and the dash the entire length of the dash....rattle free. If you do it neatly, you hardly notice it. It just looks like it belongs there as a part of the car. You can test to verify this works by actually pulling the dash towards you to see if the rattle goes away because that is what the door seal actually does.

your welcome ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived