LegacyGT.com

Question about the dashboard in the 05 LGT

Joon525

First of all, yes I have searched.

I have a rattle/rubbing noise coming from the middle of the dashboard but more towards the passenger side of the car (so it's not the brakelines like other people have had a problem with). I've tried stuffing some foam weatherstripping between the windshield and the dashboard itself but I still get the noise so I'm beginning to wonder if it's not the dashboard itself and possibly something else under it.

I might just reluctantly take this to the dealer but I want to see what I'm up against in terms of removing the entire dashboard myself. (I almost removed the whole thing a few months ago but stopped midway because I found another way to fix my problem at the time.)

So...

Does anyone have a picture of the upper portion of the dashboard OFF the car viewing it from the underside? I guess any pictures would help. I want to see the exact location of the clips/pop rivets used to hold it in place.

Take everything out of your cubby, armrest storage, glove box, and door wells and see if you still have a problem. A lot of the rattles come from these sources but due to the nature it sounds like they're coming from elsewhere. Not saying that it can't be your dash, but please just try this.

Go Cardinals!

Take everything out of your cubby, armrest storage, glove box, and door wells and see if you still have a problem. A lot of the rattles come from these sources but due to the nature it sounds like they're coming from elsewhere. Not saying that it can't be your dash, but please just try this.

Yep, I've already done that. I've even driven around with pieces OUT of the car to really narrow it down.

OK after doing some research I've found that there are 3 pins on the edge of the dashboard where it meets the bottom of the windshield. I've looked in the "Vacation Pix" but there's no part numbers for these pins. Am I to believe that these pins are actually part of the dashboard cover or is the "Vacation Pix" lacking in detail?

Also, since no one else has answered my original question I am to believe that no one else on this board has taken apart their dashboard themselves before, correct? If I'm wrong someone please drop the name of the person that they remember doing so. Otherwise, I'll try to take some pictures about my adventure if it comes to this (I have 2 more tactics to try before I give in and just remove the entire dashboard to insulate it myself).

It turned out that the noise I was hearing was the padding used at the top of the dashboard. There's 3 pieces, 2 on each end and 1 in the middle. My right one was rubbing against the firewall and making a squeaking/rubbing noise.

http://www.joon525.com/images/Legacy/Dashboard/Overview.jpg

http://www.joon525.com/images/Legacy/Dashboard/Glovebox.jpg

http://www.joon525.com/images/Legacy/Dashboard/Glovebox02.jpg

http://www.joon525.com/images/Legacy/Dashboard/Detail.jpg

The green arrow in the last picture shows the grey colored padding that was rubbing. I cut foam rubber weatherstripping from the local hardware store and sandwiched it between the firewall and that padding. No more squeaking noise.

I had planned to remove the entire dashboard today but when I got to the glovebox being removed I had already found the culprit.

I DID have a ticking rattle (not a squeaking rubbing noise) and remedied that by again using the weatherstripping between the firewall/glass and the dashboard. I placed a piece in the far right corner.

It's now practically silent up front, I just have one tiny rattle in the rear now...

Holly crap!!! I just saw this thread. I which I had the cojones to take my dash appart like that. The formelly fixed dash rattle that I had returned, so I wedged a piece of carboard like others have done. It looks Fugly. My glovebox also rattles and dealer just put felt along the inside areas near the clasp. Piece of crap. Are these all the pics you have? If not, please post more :).

thanks

Holly crap!!! I just saw this thread. I which I had the cojones to take my dash appart like that. The formelly fixed dash rattle that I had returned, so I wedged a piece of carboard like others have done. It looks Fugly. My glovebox also rattles and dealer just put felt along the inside areas near the clasp. Piece of crap. Are these all the pics you have? If not, please post more :).

thanks

Sorry my man but that's all the pictures that I took that day. I can take more when I install my in-cabin filter but I don't know what exactly you'd want a picture of? If someone else in my area needs help with this I can take picture of me working on their car I suppose??

All you really have to do is follow the diagrams in the "Vacation Pix". I can get to that point with everything removed in under 45 minutes. It's not as hard as it seems.

I've currently got my dash apart like that... installing goodies... it's pretty easy, the hardest part was the trim removal to get the radio out... which isn't that hard... the rest, I just looked for screws, bolts and clips and kept pulling...

what are you looking for pics of?

The foam you cut away is to seal around the blower unit. This is not a good idea to remove this foam as it may lead to hvac issues. Directly above the area you have pointed out is the area where one of the two instrument to fire wall lock pins is located. I would suspect the lock pin as the source of your noise and not the foam you cut away.

The foam you cut away is to seal around the blower unit. This is not a good idea to remove this foam as it may lead to hvac issues. Directly above the area you have pointed out is the area where one of the two instrument to fire wall lock pins is located. I would suspect the lock pin as the source of your noise and not the foam you cut away.

Where did I say that I CUT foam??? I didn't cut anything. Nothing with a blade of any sort was used that day in that area. :icon_conf I could barely fit my hand up there let alone something with a blade.

Also, I know the pins you're talking about and this space is between them, the closest one is a few inches over to the right. Those pins were my target when I first started which is why I planned to remove the dashboard that day. Maybe the angle of the picture is throwing you off though? I was able to grab that piece from the bottom and the right/top, there was no pin touching this area at all.

I'd also have to check the diagrams again but I'm 99% sure that foam wasn't even touching the blower unit.

Sorry, I misread your post as you cutting the air box foam. In the future I will keep my comments to myself. So much for building these vehicles for the last 15 years.

:) It's cool, I can see where you might've misread the cutting bit.

By all means keep posting comments. I never would've thought to give the technique/advice you meantioned in this thread/post. That trick might take care of the very minor noise I have left.

Archived