LegacyGT.com

Fixed stupid dash rattle..

Deer Killer

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The rattle next to your ear is the plastic that slides up and down as part of your seat belt anchor adjuster. Got that one too. Just stick something in there to keep it from moving around (I used some clear tap) and it should go away.

I did this as well and it worked for me, I used the foam tap however.

Found four potential sources of the driver side dash rattles.

The dremeling worked well, but the plastic had already cracked due to the "engineering" defect. I super glued the crack and used a metal washer to reinforce the cracked plastic:

Dremel.thumb.jpg.cc9d2ce599eaf7b32993ee438ec917cf.jpg

This screw was not fully tightened. I tightened it up after I was done with everything else:

LooseScrew.thumb.jpg.1e7beed442f560011671f08de04396f7.jpg

Note the added rubber strips on the fuse box cover and on the left side of the opening where the cover is supposed to snap in (but doesn't). This snugged everything up:

FuseBox.thumb.jpg.aaa089ff12cf327be998d9231370a32b.jpg

One of those plastic fasteners was missing (see the hole at the tip of the screw driver) so I used a 3M command strip to fix the two pieces of plastic together:

MissingFastener.thumb.jpg.5c43599e47f8cfea42ddac68fb03c7be.jpg

The rattle is now gone! It's on to the passenger side next.

• 4 weeks later...
I've got a 2008 legacy and i hear a rattle noise from the passenger side C-pillar.. i'm not sure if its from the pillar itself, or from the rear cover over the rear seats. The dealer couldn't do anything about it, took it more than once, still there. Any help?

I've got a 2008 legacy and i hear a rattle noise from the passenger side C-pillar.. i'm not sure if its from the pillar itself, or from the rear cover over the rear seats. The dealer couldn't do anything about it, took it more than once, still there. Any help?

i hear a rattle also on my 08, but it is the glove box compartment. When i hear it, one slap on the compartment and its gone:rolleyes:

Thanks for the info on the left ear noise, i had that one night on a trip. I already stuffed a piece of paper between the a piller and dash, fixed that rattle, have another drivers side where dash meets windshield. That will get more paper. I had a 95 Leggy it was full or rattles too, mainly from 2 12" subs. I also have the glove box rattle, and a odd rattle coming from the ebrake, shifter area, which is silenced with slight pressure on ebrake, my arm rest also rattles when my arm isn't on it. Annoying...all will be silenced...thanks for your help

A good fix for the left side C-pillar dash rattle is to wedge a strip of foam where the windshield meets the dash and pillar. I used a grey strip of foam about 7 or 8 inches long and probably 2 or 3 inches wide. The gap where the dash rattle sound was coming from near the C-pillar swallowed the foam up as soon as I used my finger to wedge it in, while the rest of the foam need to be worked in more before it finally disappeared. Seat belts when not buckled will cause sounds as others have said. The glove box isn't an issue yet its just picky when it comes to closing. I got the grey foam with a part that I ordered.

K, so driving yesterday 2nd trip I noticed a rattle near the A pillar drivers side. This was not associated with bumps and was occurring with and with out bumps. My wife said it sounds like two chipmunks fighting over a nut. I thought to myself this must be the dash rattle everyone was discussing in this thread. I went out for a 3rd trip and the noise was gone. (maybe the chipmunks stopped fighting) anyway it was quite noisy and irritating. Got 31K on the car and not sure why this noise would come and go. The car was plenty warmed up by the second trip and warmer for the third. Obviously I cant fix what is now gone but does anyone have any experiences with the same situation?

K, so driving yesterday 2nd trip I noticed a rattle near the A pillar drivers side. This was not associated with bumps and was occurring with and with out bumps. My wife said it sounds like two chipmunks fighting over a nut. I thought to myself this must be the dash rattle everyone was discussing in this thread. I went out for a 3rd trip and the noise was gone. (maybe the chipmunks stopped fighting) anyway it was quite noisy and irritating. Got 31K on the car and not sure why this noise would come and go. The car was plenty warmed up by the second trip and warmer for the third. Obviously I cant fix what is now gone but does anyone have any experiences with the same situation?

Similar here, cold cars seem to create rattles - maybe better put, large temperature changes, some incidence in the summer but, not as bad.

'Course, temperature depends on where you live.

I've had this same rattle in both my '06 and '08 Legacy and it definitely goes away as the outside (or maybe even inside) tempreature rises. The dealer tried unsuccessfully to fix it in the '06 and I have yet to bring it to their attention for the '08. I'll probably fix it myself- the dealers here are useless.

My dash started doing the rattle / plastic sound a couple weeks ago when the temperatures dropped significantly. Quick search here for "dash rattle" and voila! You guys rock. Going to do the dremel trick today!

• 3 weeks later...
I have a rattle that sounds like it's coming from driver side defrost. The rattle resonates at around 2500 and above rpm. I think this is a bit different than the common corner of the dash rattle?? Thoughts??

It is likely the same thing. I believe there are several sources for the rattle, mine sounds like someone tapping on the bottom edge of the windshield with a soft face hammer...but only when it is cold. If one of the fixes in this thread doesn't remedy it, you can try the fix in the the 12-96-06 TSB:

http://www.thel7.com/TSB/12-96-06.pdf

That one does require a bit of work, though. I am surprised the book time is only 1.4 hours...don't expect to be even close to this w/o a lot of experience pulling our dash apart. Good luck.

I have a rattle that sounds like it's coming from driver side defrost. The rattle resonates at around 2500 and above rpm. I think this is a bit different than the common corner of the dash rattle?? Thoughts??

What really helped for me is that I took off the side panel (between the dash and door where it closes) and also removed the driver's-side vent. I went for a drive to be able to look/feel in the dash for the rattle, but the rattle was gone.

This lead me to the vent mechanism. I noticed that the actuator arm (that opens and closes the vent) on the side of the vent mechanism was loose enough to rattle with the correct amount of vibration. A little stretch material (i.e. rubber band) wrapped around the vent and mechanism and that particular rattle has all but disappeared).

I still get rattles around the center console (from the cheap plastic) and a new rattle has started in the back of the car. I'm going to have someone drive me around while I sit in the back to figure out where that one's coming from.

• 1 month later...
an update on the cubby rattle, it is not actually the cubby, but I believe it is just another dash rattle. When I took out the cubby, I still got the rattle, when the cubby is in though, it sounds like it is coming from the cubby. It sounds like it is coming from the passengar side dash somewhere.

Archived