LegacyGT.com

Fixed stupid dash rattle..

Deer Killer

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...
I'm going to try out the whole take the dashboard out fix tomorrow. That screw mentioned in the first post was tightened down too much by whoever took my dash out before and shattered the plastic there, so I no longer have anything to torque down, anyone know if this is going cause me problems?

Try this $5 fix first: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/3d-printing-development-thread-231380.html several posts in the DRS V1=Dash Rattle Stopper it fixed mine I love it.

Were you able to make the rattle go away by pushing and pulling on your dash while you drove? Because I can't get it to go away at all. Except for smooth roads.

• 3 weeks later...

I pulled off the drivers' side dash panel and found the screw that some posts reference. See attached picture, of the crack where the screw attaches.

Is there a work around for tightening the dash down with this type of crack?

1181897905_dashcrack.thumb.jpg.dad5cc38ea00d01cae40b42c0512e183.jpg

Drill a new hole and use a sheet metal bracket, get discojon's DRS (dash rattle stopper) 3D printed vibration dampeners for $5, whatever works.

The car is 10 years old and will never be a museum piece or high value item more than today, so don't be afraid of attempting to fix it in some unorthodox manner.

I pulled off the drivers' side dash panel and found the screw that some posts reference. See attached picture, of the crack where the screw attaches.

Is there a work around for tightening the dash down with this type of crack?

Mine was in a worse condition than yours, but a bit of [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QC6HVS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1]this felt tape[/ame] wedged in between the corner of the A pillar and the dash seemed to fix the rattle on the left side. YMMV, obviously, but it's another option you can consider. Now that I've addressed the driver's side rattle and the rattle from the coin cup thing, there's only the rattle behind the navi, the glove box rattle, both B pillar rattles, the passenger side C pillar rattle, the moonroof switch rattle...

I wonder if German luxury cars have this sort of issue as they get older?

20150111_143557_2.thumb.jpg.3ac2fe256b0f5f2004b30b409bf39cd7.jpg

I ran into a bit of an issue trying to install the DRS kit today... me being clumsy with no foresight, I managed to drop not one but TWO of the little plastic things into the defroster vents. I've already taken out my nav to try to get at the ducts but have had no success; does anyone know of an easy way to get the little buggers out without having to tear out half my dashboard? Or is it possible that if left alone they might find a way out by themselves?

I ran into a bit of an issue trying to install the DRS kit today... me being clumsy with no foresight, I managed to drop not one but TWO of the little plastic things into the defroster vents. I've already taken out my nav to try to get at the ducts but have had no success; does anyone know of an easy way to get the little buggers out without having to tear out half my dashboard? Or is it possible that if left alone they might find a way out by themselves?

Magnet tied to a string / fishing line? Probably just end up being another annoying and intermittent rattle.

PM me your address and i'll send you a new set. I have upgraded them a bit to make them stronger. Here is how I install them.

Take left hand and cram fingers into gap between windshield and dash. use a chop stick / screwdriver / hemostats to place the DRS so it just stays by itself. Remove left hand and adjust position of DRS gently if necessary.

Archived