LegacyGT.com

Fixed stupid dash rattle..

Deer Killer

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update: there is no update. I bugged them for some sort of TSB/issues/trouble ticket number but apparently there either isn't one or they wont give it to me. They said there was a "tech tip" posted about it. When I described the problem they knew what it was and that was that.

One note: if you have a custom audio install in the cubby be advised they need to remove the dash to fix the problem. When the re-installed my empeg sled they goobered it up and did not put it back the way I had it. A week later the bondo-n-paint fascia work started to crack due to their ham-fisted re-assembly. As my garage is full of stuff for my bathroom remodel it will be a while before I can get in there and fix it. :icon_mad:

Subaru claimed to have fixed my dash rattle three times, even taking the whole dash off and working on it.

It came back every time. I shoved a small piece of paper between the glass and the dash. 99% of the rattle is gone :)

Paper > Subaru Dealer

Has anyone had a rattle in, near, or around the glove compartment?

Yep.

Took my center vent/cubby out and found a good rattle near where the passenger air bag mounts. Stuffed a sock between it and the dash -- seems to have helped but not eliminated it entirely.

Will take the car out today for a better test drive.

Well, a little update on the dash rattle.

I "padded" two more areas. The upper vent duct - top center of dash. And I put a six inch square block of foam from a cushion above the instrument cluster.

Took it for a 60 mile test drive.

Only the worst pot holes and railroad tracks produced a significant noise from the dash. BUT :icon_mad::icon_mad::icon_mad::icon_mad: I then turned on the air conditioning with the vent/floor mode about a mile from home --- and low and behold :icon_mad::icon_mad::icon_mad::icon_mad::icon_mad: within a moment or two, all the rattles came back. After a couple hours I took it for a spin, and the rattles were gone again. Once again I tested it with air on, and CRAP -- wouldn't you know it -- they started to rattle again.

IMHO I think the entire vent duct work is what is causing the problem.

At this point, I'm not sure what to do now!

dash1.JPG.a5659b9d7786f3496dbed3c2b9e755a6.JPG

dash2.JPG.7c616240f8e10c59d360e86d29317cb2.JPG

dash3.JPG.3b790131d4b6a433450a4ad1846ff61e.JPG

Back to Nasty,

Yup, glove box (I think it is this) or maybe passenger door rattle, intermittent seems to go away once cabin warms up but then, nope comes back. Not real loud but annoying. The actual road condition doesn't see to effect either (so far), though bumpy seems to begin the noise but with smooth it doesn't go away.

Almost a buz? A bit lenghty description but, could be the same as yours or, different.

I thought it was the "filler" panel between the glove box (right side) and door. I stuffed a towel in here today but, this did not seem to make a difference.

It's definitely not the window or center cubbie (for nav panel) nor center air vent.

Might be the passenger side air vent.

I did some investigating and I'm pretty sure that its a loose mechanism for the glove compartment. The rattle stops simply by putting pressure on the glove compartment. The rattle that I hear is often caused by road conditions and also from the car shifting weight. It sounds like plastic rubbing. I'm gonna run some weather strip foam around the perimeter of the glove box and take it for a road test. I'll post results and pics soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Update,

I talked with the dealer this week and asked if they had any in with the same rattle as mine. They said "yes, a few." Which tanslated to me as "yes, everyone who purchased one." Anyway, I told him what I did to help my rattles, and they said that was the locations that they had complaints about. They also mentioned "broken clips" and that the dash had to be completely removed. They were using foam fill that the factory had sent them. They tried to set me up with an appointment, but I declined and opted for a later date.

My own fix has seemed to satisfy me.

hm, i've heard two types of rattles recently..

one... giving it a bit of go, i hear a rapid knocking sound coming from the driver side engine comparment, it only knocks for a second or two then goes away.. but if i "get on it" again, it happens..

two... over bumps.. i hear a plastic rattle sound from the L/F dash area... it's very slight, you can hear it with the A/C and Radio off w/ the windows up.. if it gets louder and louder, it'd annoy me.

Update,

I talked with the dealer this week and asked if they had any in with the same rattle as mine. They said "yes, a few." Which tanslated to me as "yes, everyone who purchased one." Anyway, I told him what I did to help my rattles, and they said that was the locations that they had complaints about. They also mentioned "broken clips" and that the dash had to be completely removed. They were using foam fill that the factory had sent them. They tried to set me up with an appointment, but I declined and opted for a later date.

My own fix has seemed to satisfy me.

I'll be scheduling an appointment soon, have to see what my dealer knows about it.

• 3 weeks later...
I am not even sure what my noise is. I feel like its a creak, at first i thought it might have been suspension not sure. Sometimes i hear it and sometimes i don't. It is very annoying and the only real gripe i have with the car. The wierd thing is that is occurs on both the right and left side at least thats what it sounds like. I wonder what my dealer will do it seems over 50% of the dealers were somewhat succesfull in "improving" the rattles.

this is a picture of the area in my dash (i figured i needed one)

the blue circle area is where the rattle is coming from fig 1

If i place something like a rubber stopper thing (fig 2), i think someone did that, would the rattle go away?:confused::confused:

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g127/Chwisch87/this%20cool%20thing/Rattle.jpg

I love my car ... basically.

If i place something like a rubber stopper thing (fig 2), i think someone did that, would the rattle go away?:confused::confused:

It worked for me. See post #40 above.

this is a picture of the area in my dash (i figured i needed one)

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g127/Chwisch87/this%20cool%20thing/Rattle.jpg

I have the exact same issue in the same location, except my sound comes from the red cirlce area. I placed a 1/4 inch (or so) strip of felt precicely in your red circle, b/w the dash and windshield. it helped a little, but over big bumps i still hear it. I can also replicate everytime by pressing either on the red or blue circles. Is the sound bec. of broken clips?

The glove box rattle is caused by the bottom hinged portion, NOT the latch or anything around the perimeter of the door.

The bottom of the door has a pin on the passenger side that fits into a recess in the panel the holds it. The pin does not fit snugly into this recess and the door is free to bounce around.

I removed the door, fit an o-ring around the pin and re-assembled everything. Glovebox rattle fixed. Now only about a billion dash rattles to fix.

The glove box rattle is caused by the bottom hinged portion, NOT the latch or anything around the perimeter of the door.

The bottom of the door has a pin on the passenger side that fits into a recess in the panel the holds it. The pin does not fit snugly into this recess and the door is free to bounce around.

I removed the door, fit an o-ring around the pin and re-assembled everything. Glovebox rattle fixed. Now only about a billion dash rattles to fix.

Can you post pics?

Archived