LegacyGT.com

Fixed stupid dash rattle..

Deer Killer

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The rattle in my dash has been driving me absolutely crazy. I've inquired about the TSB that was supposedly released, but the dealer knows nothing about it. I'm getting close to pulling the dash out myself and reinstalling *properly*. Has anyone tried this? If so, do you have any recommendations on where to get started? How much did this project suck?

This is hilarious reading about all these rattles, I've got rattles everywhere also. Mainly the loud clunking one up near the a pillar and dash, and the glove compartment :|

:yeahthat:

I will fix it [on mine!!!] (the bolt mounts on the dash broke on both sides :( I am considering riveting a small sheet metal tab to the plastic and then drilling a mounting hole to attach to the car's metal bracket.

The glove box can be fixed with foam tape, I think.

Checked this out the other day on MY07 since that rattle just gets on my nerves so much. Turns out wasn't the one the OP had, but rather the rattle near the windshield. If I push down on the corner of the windshield near the A-Pillar it stops. Gotta just find something laying around the house that won't look too trashy to put between the dash and windshield.

The rattle in my dash has been driving me absolutely crazy. I've inquired about the TSB that was supposedly released, but the dealer knows nothing about it. I'm getting close to pulling the dash out myself and reinstalling *properly*. Has anyone tried this? If so, do you have any recommendations on where to get started? How much did this project suck?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/correct-way-fixing-dash-rattle-take-apart-took-me-9-87104.html?t=87104

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a copy of the TSB:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3066814&postcount=12

Rattle/Squeak Noise from Instrument Panel

Service Bulletin #12-96-06

Pages: 4

Bulletin Description: If you encounter a customer complaint of a rattle/squeak noise coming from the instrument panel just below the windshield area, it may be caused by the instrument panel hooks. To eliminate the noise follow the repair procedure listed.

Regardless, the TSB will only fix how the plug/cup connect and doesn't cover the cup rattling around in the firewall...thus the reason that members have been removing their entire dash to RTV both sides into silence!

^ Why isnt that TSB out for 07-09... same rattle

Its not the same rattle. 07-09 rattle comes from the dash next to the windshield. If you are driving down a bumpy road push down on the driver side dash RIGHT by the windshield and the noise will stop. there have been some people who shove some rubber pads between the windshield and dash to fix it.

The 05 rattled is behind the Gauge Cluster (more towards middle of dash) and also when you open the driver door there is the FAMOUS one where you have to remove the panel and see the dash screw is missing/broke/housing is broke.

They do need to send a TSB out for the 07-09 though...gets quite annoying driving down a few roads here in Nebraska since they don't know how to maintain them!:mad:

^

Yeah have tried the wedging shit in there approach, and it still happens on both sides. The rattle sounds like the clips.

But the wedge works most of the time.

Well poop! I hope SOA gets around to helping us 07-09 owners out soon then...mine is getting worse as the days go by.

Thanks Evan! Just reviewed the TSB and looks like this is the exact cause of my issues. Trouble is, I dont really trust the stealership to grind down the clips. I feel like it would do more harm than good. I'd much prefer they keep the parts as is and just RTV the hell out of the receiver cup (firewall side and cabin side), then cram some sort of foam/goo in the receiver so the clips don't rattle.

Has anyone had any luck with this repair as specified by the dealer?

• 2 months later...

Add another '05 to the mix. I made it 116k without rattles and after putting on Tein Flex coilovers and 225/40/18's the creak over bumps is driving me crazy.

One question about the initial OP's fix: when you're dremeling or cutting, you're just trying to expand the hole that the screw goes in? Is that all? The original pics and those after were a little unclear on what I need to do.

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

• 4 weeks later...

I just read through the whole thread but didn't find a rattle/noise described that's the same as to what I'm experiencing.

For about the first ten minutes of driving my car makes a sound that I was going to describe as a rattle but it's more like the sound you'd get from a child's bike when they tuck a playing card into the spokes. All the whippersnappers will be like, "Huh?!" on that description, I know, but it's most appropriate.

So, Sound Sleuths, would anyone have any suggestions on what I could check, please. The rapid sound does go away after awhile. It stays the same whether I purposely coast or accelerate and it doesn't change in volume or "pattern".

I just read through the whole thread but didn't find a rattle/noise described that's the same as to what I'm experiencing.

For about the first ten minutes of driving my car makes a sound that I was going to describe as a rattle but it's more like the sound you'd get from a child's bike when they tuck a playing card into the spokes. All the whippersnappers will be like, "Huh?!" on that description, I know, but it's most appropriate.

So, Sound Sleuths, would anyone have any suggestions on what I could check, please. The rapid sound does go away after awhile. It stays the same whether I purposely coast or accelerate and it doesn't change in volume or "pattern".

Does it occur with the climate (heater) control fan always on?

At the moment, my blower fan doesn't work so, no.. it sounds like it's coming from the dash area, in front of the driver's seat (although I realize that location can often be misleading to the ear).

And, the car starts and drives fine so, it's not a relay?

Hi LongHiway

Yes, car starts and drives as fine as it can with so many of its ongoing "issues". It's just something in the annoyance category so for now, I'll just deal with it. Maybe the next sunny day I investigate it more. That'll probably be in the Spring. (grrrr...)

• 2 years later...
Wow no posts for 2 years, let the rattle bitchin begin again. It's getting cold and my dash is rattling on the drivers side if I press down on the dash corner at the window the slight pressure stops the rattle, I guess I'll try the fix I read several pages back!!

Wow no posts for 2 years, let the rattle bitchin begin again. It's getting cold and my dash is rattling on the drivers side if I press down on the dash corner at the window the slight pressure stops the rattle, I guess I'll try the fix I read several pages back!!

Same, ever since the cold hit (only owned her since july) there are all sorts of little loose rattles and clips that are not quite doing the job anymore. I'm about to tear into the whole thing and tighten everything up necessary and most likely dynamat anything I can to prevent any other in cabin noises as they drive me f*cking crazy. And I know "just turn up the music" well that doesn't really work if you are trying to have a conversation:/

Yeah, the rattles come back for me every winter and damn near make me want to get rid of the car. There are a few rattles in the summer, but I always have the windows/sunroof open so I can't hear them and don't care. The dash rattle that started this thread sticks around on and off all year for me though.

I've gone through and tried to stop a lot of them, but for every one I fix, there seems to be a new one. Interior was built very poorly in this sense.

MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

I had the rattle a few weeks ago. The left side bolt had come loose.

Can I get to the bolt by removing the left side of the dash (with the drivers door open)?

thx

For me, even simpler. Open the glove box door, the bolt that had come loose was on the left side. IIRC, it was along the frame where the glove box and door meet when closed. It was easily visible with good light, the bolt head is the same color as the glove box.

Hopefully this is all you need to do. Others writing in this thread have had to do major surgery.

Archived