LegacyGT.com

Fixed stupid dash rattle..

Deer Killer

sutter2k,

Other members have reported this - I *believe* that the fix was to take it to the dealership and to have them install a new spring for the button.

However, I cannot 100% guaranty that my recall on this issue is correct, you'll want to do a search to verify. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
me too :(

i get a vibration like noise below 3k, somewhere around the A-pillar

if it is passenger side a-pillar and a tapping/knocking sound over bumps, check the weather stripping on the black plastic pieces at the base of the windshield on the exterior.

• 2 months later...
This one sounds like the fuel lines vibrating. I wrapped mine with carpet padding, problem solved

I've noticed this as well but it's infrequent at best. Its muted but it is a quiet rattle (not a very mechanical sound) and I can only assume its something jingling about in there.

I just dremeled the hole. I'll see if the noise is there tomorrow on the way to work, since I always heard the noise driving to work. I'll post the result when I get into work.

If you didn't find the rattle, I was gonna tell you not to go to work at all .:icon_bigg

Good job, I will try it this weekend.:icon_bigg :icon_bigg

"Remember..."MODDING is a HOBBY:icon_bigg, not a BAAAD HABIT";) .

Found this thread by searching. Yesterday my car began suffering from a rattle/rubbing noise coming from the driver side, up where the left corner of the dash meets with the A pillar. I can even "move" the dash back and forth (by pushing and pulling the dash cluster "lip" behind the steering wheel) and recreate the rattle, but it also rattles every time over very rough pavement. Does anyone have pics of the rattle fix?

thanks.

I have the same rattle, I took it in to the dealer and their solution was to put black silicon caulk between the dash and windshield :rollseyes: this didn't do fix it at all. I'm going to try what's in this thread tonight and see if that helps.

Ok, last night I pulled the side plastic off and the plastic clip was completely broken. I found a large metal washer and screwed that down so it it snugly holding the dash against the megal retainer. This seems to have stopped the rattle comlpetely. I'll have to give it a few days of driving to see if it really has worked.

Ok, last night I pulled the side plastic off and the plastic clip was completely broken. I found a large metal washer and screwed that down so it it snugly holding the dash against the megal retainer. This seems to have stopped the rattle comlpetely. I'll have to give it a few days of driving to see if it really has worked.

Can you post some pics? The ones at the beg. of this thread are not clear to me. thanks.

I think we're talking about the screw to the right of the "W31" in this pic:

Much better pic, thanks.

My rattle however is where the dash meets the windshield (kind a by that small vent by the windshield) and it happens on both driver and passenger's side. It's like the dash is loose. PITA. Pushing down on on the dash at that point recreates the rattle/squeek every time and so does just pulling/pushing the instrument cluster back and forth. It sounds like plastic rubbing plastic. Annoying as hell.

If anybody finds a fix for this be sure to post it. thanks.

My rattle however is where the dash meets the windshield (kind a by that small vent by the windshield)...

I stacked two self-adhesive polypropylene bumper pads together and then wedged them in the gap between the dash and the windshield. It doesn't fix the actual cause of the rattle but it does stop it by keeping slight pressure on the dash, keeping it from vibrating.

Now that it's silenced, I've started hearing another rattle from somewhere around the front passenger door that I'll have to concentrate on tracking down.

2144281558_DSCN0117(2)(2).JPG.9adae0da2357fb4213127a9b0f1d7c75.JPG

690259508_DSCN0115(2)(2).JPG.a3c7e6bbc976e61e5269b8336053a7db.JPG

1584642688_DSCN0114(2)(2).JPG.01bc5d15481cc3e42ba557425dfb312e.JPG

Now that it's silenced, I've started hearing another rattle from somewhere around the front passenger door that I'll have to concentrate on tracking down.

I have the same one. I thought it was the cold temps now. I put the wondow down just enough to take the pressure off, (still closed) and the rattle stopped.

Much better pic, thanks.

My rattle however is where the dash meets the windshield (kind a by that small vent by the windshield) and it happens on both driver and passenger's side. It's like the dash is loose. PITA. Pushing down on on the dash at that point recreates the rattle/squeek every time and so does just pulling/pushing the instrument cluster back and forth. It sounds like plastic rubbing plastic. Annoying as hell.

That's where my rattle was and this fixed it. So it's worth a try at least.

For the center vent/cubby module, I tried a fix suggested by someone awhile back. I added pieces of friction tape on each of the four sides of the dash then popped the module back in. Now it holds real tight and the rattles gone, even on the rutted dirt roads. At first I wasn't sure where to find friction tape at Home Depot, but then spotted it in the electrical area with the rolls of electrical tape.

i had a rattle that sounded like it was from the corner to the midway point of the instrument cluster. Brought the car in for the 15K maintenance & the dealer (john elway) said it was a known problem. They replaced the windshield (which was great bc my wife got a chip in it w/in the 1 2 months) & put new wipers on for free!!!!!! I also got the car back the same day. You don't hear it often, but man I actually like my dealer!

Hello all. I have had my LGT Limited in 3 times around this issue, without resolution. I took your thread to the dealer and they tried it as well as some other things and NO MORE RATTLES. My buyers remorse is gone and I love this car.

Thanks a bunch,

Mike

Alright, so I removed the panel on the side of the dash that Deerkiller recommended, and low and behold the culprit bolt was fine. Not cracked, everything looked good in there. Then, being the freakin dolt that I am I lost the white clip that secures the bottom third of that side panel for the dash. Now I gotta get a new clip, thing is basically hangin there now.

Anyway, my rattle is definately located in the Drivers side of the dash, I think it is the in the guage cluster. Happens between 2-3K RPMS, sounds like a tight rattle, like some plastic gear that is loose or something. Anyone have this? I know it was mentioned? Any fixes?

Also, when I had the side panel off I noticed two connectors (white & Green) taped together (blue tape). What are these? I was hoping they had something to do with the volume controls for the steering wheel. I want to scrap my shifting wheel for the volume control wheel.

Any help much appreciated. I know one of you geniuses have an answer. :)

Peace out

Archived