LegacyGT.com

Fixed stupid dash rattle..

Deer Killer

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jarhead91 -

Welcome to LGT.com ! :)

For the rearview, try adjusting/repositioning to see if that'll cure it, first - our mount is a double-pivot, so you should be able to find an alternative position of the mirror which results in the same rearward visibility, while perhaps mitigating the noise issue.

With your shift knob, try twisting it off and putting it back on - I would think that perhaps the locking collar that secures the base of the knob to the leather boot surround has somehow worked its way loose, and that this would be the cause of the issue.

As for the passenger's side seat-belt area rattle, be sure that it's not the actual belt "buckle" hitting the B-pillar trim that's causing the sound. Some of us have taken to either "draping" the belt/buckle over the side bolster of the seat (this would also ease passenger access to the belt, helpful and courteous!) or to stick the buckle "tab" into the slot void where the rest of the belt goes into the B-pillar.

Hope this helps! :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I have a rattle from the driver's side seatbelt attachment in the B-pillar. Drives me nuts because it's next to my left ear.

I had this too. It came from where the black and tan trim meet mid way down the pillar. I pulled the trim apart at that point padded it a bit with a narrow strip of paper towel and snapped the trim in place over it. It eliminated the give in the trim and thus the rattle/buzz it would make.

I had this too. It came from where the black and tan trim meet mid way down the pillar. I pulled the trim apart at that point padded it a bit with a narrow strip of paper towel and snapped the trim in place over it. It eliminated the give in the trim and thus the rattle/buzz it would make.

Hmmmmm, this sounds like what I have, rattle buzz. But can you elaborate a little on the location in the dash? I.E. drivers side, passeners side, mid-way down on the dash etc...Mine is driving me clinicly insane.

I have a cubb dash rattle over rough pavment, in addition to the one by the A pillar/Winsheild area on the drivers side.... any resolution to the cubby rattle. I found that when it starts happening if i press on the middle of the dash (top of cubby) or open the cubby door, the noise is reduced but one or two will get by here and there....

Hmmmmm, this sounds like what I have, rattle buzz. But can you elaborate a little on the location in the dash? I.E. drivers side, passeners side, mid-way down on the dash etc...Mine is driving me clinicly insane.

This one is not in the dash. It is in the b-pillar where the tan plastic trim meets the black plastic trim at about elbow level. These two pieces rub together under certain circumstances and creat a buzz that seems to be right next to your left ear.

I suspect mine started when the pieces were taken apart to allow cables to be run for the stereo install.

It would be interesting to see how many people have rattles and correlate that with how many have pulled the interior apart to install stereo bits, and in the case of the dash how many had cut away those two supports behind the cubby to allow for a head unit install.

This one is not in the dash. It is in the b-pillar where the tan plastic trim meets the black plastic trim at about elbow level. These two pieces rub together under certain circumstances and creat a buzz that seems to be right next to your left ear.

I suspect mine started when the pieces were taken apart to allow cables to be run for the stereo install.

It would be interesting to see how many people have rattles and correlate that with how many have pulled the interior apart to install stereo bits, and in the case of the dash how many had cut away those two supports behind the cubby to allow for a head unit install.

The only parts of my car that don't rattle are the ones that I took apart for my stereo install. Dynamat helps though.

The only parts of my car that don't rattle are the ones that I took apart for my stereo install. Dynamat helps though.

I never had any rattles in my cubby, but when I installed my navigation system I was afraid that cutting the plastic supports would cause rattles.

To get around this, I was careful to cut the supports just enough to fit the DIN unit through. Now the plastic dashboard supports actually rest on the DIN stereo. To prevent the cut plastic from rubbing against the metal stereo, I padded all parts that could potentially rub with heavy-duty velcro tape (the fuzzy side). The center stack of the dashboard has been completely rattle-free since.

I have the same rattle you describe, and my b-pillar was taken off to replace the windshield. It started after that. I took it apart to see if anything was amiss, but no it looks and fits perfectly. it drives me crazy to hear it when I go over rough roads! I have to look deeper into it to see what I can find to stop it.

X

---

• 3 weeks later...

I think I might have another possible solution for the rattle sound coming from where the windshield meets the dash. I initially thought my sound was coming from the fuel lines like others have mentioned. After adding zip ties to the fuel line where it enters the firewall, I thought my rattle was gone. None, still there. It still occurred depending on the road surface, if it was windy out, if there was a extra load on the car (extra people in the car).

Well, today I tired of the rattle and went to investigate. I think I found my noise!! The plastic engine cover (the one that wraps around the intercooler and has the suburu/boxer marking on it) wasn't snug against the mounting brackets. Just taping on the engine cover produced a rattle, especially the section closest to the firewall. I removed the engine cover and where it attached to the brackets, I noticed shiney spots where it appeared to have been rubbing. I added a small felt pad to one side of the hole on each mounting bracket. I then looked on the underside of the engine cover and noticed a spot where it appeared to have been rubbing on something else as well. I added a felt pad to this location as well. I then reattached the engine cover and the noise is gone and the engine cover is nice and tight.

Might be a solution for others that still haven't located their rattle. Also, not sure if this would apply to non-GT owners. Haven't seen their engine type to comment.

Good luck!

-S

• 5 weeks later...
I too have the plastic sounding rattle/vibration. To me it seems to be more previlant now that the weather has changed (i.e. the colder winter months). I notice it the most while going over bumps. I'll try the "washer" fix first and if that doesn't work I'll try the "dremel" method. Thanks to all for the great posts! These squeaks and rattles are REALLY annoying. This is my first Subaru, which I love so far (12k mi), but was a multi-Honda owner before and never had any rattles with any of them. So, fixing this will definitely make me happy!

I too have the plastic sounding rattle/vibration. To me it seems to be more previlant now that the weather has changed (i.e. the colder winter months). I notice the most while going over bumps. I'll try the "washer" fix first and if that doesn't work I'll try the "dremel" method. Thanks to all for the great posts! These squeaks and rattles are REALLY annoying. This is my first Subaru, which I love so far (12k mi), but was a multi-Honda owner before and never had any rattles with any of them. So, fixing this will definitely make me happy!

Same here...90' Prelude w/ 150K on it...then 92' Accord w/ well over 150K w/o any rattles....a rattle in a compleley brand new car which i for the most part babied w/ the best of everything... really ticked me off... guess that what u get w/ a smaller manufacturerer like Subaru...but the acceleartion often makes me forget about it....

Loved the Honda quality but none of them put a smile on my face while driving like the Legacy does! For me, the LGT is the perfect blend of refinement (minus the rattle!) and performance! I love the way the car accelerates and handles, it's just a blast to drive every day.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a rattle from my front passenger door area, and we found out that it is my seatbelt assembly on that side. But I also have a defective seatbelt going to be replaced, it doesn't retract all the way so maybe that has something to do with it.

I stacked two self-adhesive polypropylene bumper pads together and then wedged them in the gap between the dash and the windshield. It doesn't fix the actual cause of the rattle but it does stop it by keeping slight pressure on the dash, keeping it from vibrating.

Now that it's silenced, I've started hearing another rattle from somewhere around the front passenger door that I'll have to concentrate on tracking down.

I stacked two self-adhesive polypropylene bumper pads together and then wedged them in the gap between the dash and the windshield. It doesn't fix the actual cause of the rattle but it does stop it by keeping slight pressure on the dash, keeping it from vibrating.

Now that it's silenced, I've started hearing another rattle from somewhere around the front passenger door that I'll have to concentrate on tracking down.

Thought I'd follow up on this. If you have the dash rattle that the above fix addresses be advised that there is a service bulletin from Subaru now covering it.

My car is in the shop for this fix. I had the bumper pad fix in there but that just annoyed me even though it worked.

When I described the problem and the Home Depot ghetto-mod fix the tech immediately said "yeah, Subaru as a notice about that."

Anyway, they have to pull the dash to fix it so expect to have it in the shop for at least a day.

I only hope they don't make it worse. :-)

I'll try to remember to get the bulletin number or ID or whatever so should anyone need to just say "hey, it's service item <foo>, look it up you slackers" they'll have the info they need.

-Ian

Thought I'd follow up on this. If you have the dash rattle that the above fix addresses be advised that there is a service bulletin from Subaru now covering it.

My car is in the shop for this fix. I had the bumper pad fix in there but that just annoyed me even though it worked.

When I described the problem and the Home Depot ghetto-mod fix the tech immediately said "yeah, Subaru as a notice about that."

Anyway, they have to pull the dash to fix it so expect to have it in the shop for at least a day.

I'll try to remember to get the bulletin number or ID or whatever so should anyone need to just say "hey, it's service item <foo>, look it up you slackers" they'll have the info they need.

-Ian

Do you have the info for this? The last updates seem to have been around 1/17/2006, and no dash TSB!

-Ian

Hope it solves the problem. Let us know the outcome.

My only fear is that in attempting to solve the problem they end up scratching up various interior pieces removing and reinstalling the dash. What would be even worse is if they did that and then didn't even actually get the source of the rattle fixed!

I've had the car back two days and it appears the problem has been fixed, the dash no logner rattles. It's kinda nice.

I'm waiting for the service folks to call me back so I cna get the reference number or whatever it is for the service buletin.

On thing that did annoy me is that when they re-installed the dash the changed the way my empeg dock is mounted. I have no idea why. Also, they inadvertantly disoconnected the antenna power lead, but that's udnerstandable as it was kinda hacked in there by me and I had yet to perfrom a permanant install/fix, I assume it just fell apart while they were putting thigns back together.

Over-all I'm very pleased with the results.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm waiting for the service folks to call me back so I cna get the reference number or whatever it is for the service buletin.

any update on this info? My car is at the dealer now for this and a new clutch. They claim there is no TSB.

Archived