LegacyGT.com

Fixed stupid dash rattle..

Deer Killer

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Hey there! I cannot believe how many of us have rattles with our Legacies. Mine is a 2008 2.5i that I bought in October 2008, and after multiple trips to the dealer, I have not been successful in getting them fixed. They're not loud, but they are very annoying and take away from my driving enjoyment. Never had rattles in my Acura, Honda, or Nissan. This is my first Subaru, and I'm really disappointed. Here's my list:

1. Top of dash, driver's side: Wedged a post-it note in between the two pieces of the dash. Rattle 99.9% gone.

2. Glove box: Haven't reported it yet. Not sure what to do about it.

3. A-Pillar: Dealer replaced broken clips. Rattle about 75% gone.

4. B-Pillar: Changed position of seatbelt anchor. Rattle 75% gone.

5. Cubby: Haven't reported it. Not sure where to begin.

6. Buzz from passenger side of dash: Not sure where to begin.

7. This one's a little different: My center console (from e-brake area to radio) creaks when I go over bumps. If I put pressure on the console while I drive it seems to help. The plastic seems so loose and brittle, I don't know if it will ever go away. I can duplicate the sound just by pressing on it. Dealer took it apart and placed some sound-deadening tape underneath. Now it's worse.

I've seen a few posts for most of the rattles, and when I find some time I may try to fix them. What about #7? Anyone have that issue? Anyone have any ideas? I don't want this to be my last Subaru because I otherwise like the car, but driving this car is making me nuts! I can only play the radio so loud! Thanks for any help you can offer!

PS - I'll take advice on any of the above, but I'm particularly interested in #7 at the moment.

I have THE WORST rattle coming from the cubby...SO ANNOYING

I stuck a bunch of foam tape behind it. I did this multiple times and it seems like the two plugs that plug into the clock may be rattling on something. It seems like it wouldnt, but when I surrounded the areas where they would rattle with foam tape, the rattle went away. It could be other places, this just seems the most logical.

Take a look at the pictures to see where I put the Post It. There may be better fixes, but at the time I had the Post It in my car, so I stuck it in there to make the noise go away. So far, so good.

PS - Let me know if you want me to send you a larger picture.

1951469232_legacygt.com011_edited-2.jpg.ea7133e50ccad910be6bcf9bd2d1781a.jpg

1142162594_legacygt.com012_edited-1.jpg.ce97dff6400c572bd56eb3f7a9602342.jpg

I totally agree with jt51, service bulletin method does not remove the rattle.

My dealer just fixed mine 2 weeks ago according to Service Bulletin and it's back again :(

I had to leave my car for the whole day and had it returned with multiple dash scratches, dirty fingerprints on white roof cloth and disconnected emergency push-button. Very messy job by "Subaru of London" in Ontario.

I could bear with all that, but the rattle is back now.

Conclusion: stick a cardboard to fix it or buy another car. What a shame for Subaru :(

I totally agree with jt51, service bulletin method does not remove the rattle.

My dealer just fixed mine 2 weeks ago according to Service Bulletin and it's back again :(

I had to leave my car for the whole day and had it returned with multiple dash scratches, dirty fingerprints on white roof cloth and disconnected emergency push-button. Very messy job by "Subaru of London" in Ontario.

I could bear with all that, but the rattle is back now.

Conclusion: stick a cardboard to fix it or buy another car. What a shame for Subaru :(

some people have been just buying some backer rod and squeezing it in there.

I stuck a bunch of foam tape behind it. I did this multiple times and it seems like the two plugs that plug into the clock may be rattling on something. It seems like it wouldnt, but when I surrounded the areas where they would rattle with foam tape, the rattle went away. It could be other places, this just seems the most logical.

to update this post, the rattle came back. I stuck some foam tape on the sides of the vent tubes where it slides in for a tighter fit, the rattle is gone now, hopefully it stays gone.

• 4 weeks later...

i had a rattle for a while now and i finally figured out what it is so i just wanted to share. i have 08 legacy 2.5i. the noise sounded like it was close to the firewall on the driver side. it would rattle at around 2k rpm, sounded like metal rattle similar to exhaust shield so i figure thats what it was on the driverside. turns out it was the driver side radiator fan. the radiator fan has two pegs at the bottom that slides into and sits onto the bracket attached to the radiator. there's play in between the pegs and the hole it slides into so it rattles. i'd say about 3/8 inch of play. no way to tighten it so i just stuck two washers inbetween the radiator and radiator fan at the bottom which holds it tight. ghetto but it works.

i also had the rattle between the window/dash also. i decided to wedge something in between just like you guys said and it works. i just rolled up some electrical tape and wedged it between and the rattles are gone. just waiting to get something more "elegant" to wedge in, no way am i taking my car to the dealership to take the dash all apart.

I've only had my GT for a couple weeks, so I'm still getting accustomed to noises and all of that. :D

Here's one for you guys: a rattle while upshifting, usually in second gear, and often while coasting or decelerating. Sounds like a screw fell into the vent and is sliding and banging around.

Which could very well be. :p But, does that sound familiar to anyone?

I've only had my GT for a couple weeks, so I'm still getting accustomed to noises and all of that. :D

Here's one for you guys: a rattle while upshifting, usually in second gear, and often while coasting or decelerating. Sounds like a screw fell into the vent and is sliding and banging around.

Which could very well be. :p But, does that sound familiar to anyone?

Clutch?

I had the upper left dash rattle in my 06 LGT.

I fixed it by removing the instument cluster and drilling in a 1/2" pan head screw just below the dash clip into the white clip holder.

You need a very long screw driver attachment to get through the cluster opening and reach the clip.

The screw sandwiched the clip into the firewall grommet.

Been rattle free, at least in the dash area, for about a year now.

I had the upper left dash rattle in my 06 LGT.

I fixed it by removing the instument cluster and drilling in a 1/2" pan head screw just below the dash clip into the white clip holder.

You need a very long screw driver attachment to get through the cluster opening and reach the clip.

The screw sandwiched the clip into the firewall grommet.

Been rattle free, at least in the dash area, for about a year now.

#072,

Do you have any photos of your fix for the drivers side dash rattle? I've tried to wedge a clear cabinet door bumper at the edge of the dash like others have done, but this doesn't seem to help my rattle much.

#072,

Do you have any photos of your fix for the drivers side dash rattle? I've tried to wedge a clear cabinet door bumper at the edge of the dash like others have done, but this doesn't seem to help my rattle much.

Sorry no pics

I was so fed up with the rattle I just started tearing stuff apart.

Remove the gauge cluster, one screw at the top and the 2 screws that are holding the bottom in, these are acsessed by taking down the panel below the stearing colum and looking straight up to the left and right of the colum.

Once you have the cluster out move the white padding out of the way and you'll see the bottom of the clip going into the firewall clip holder.

It's not easy to get to but its easier than removing the whole top of the dash board.

Sorry no pics

I was so fed up with the rattle I just started tearing stuff apart.

Remove the gauge cluster, one screw at the top and the 2 screws that are holding the bottom in, these are acsessed by taking down the panel below the stearing colum and looking straight up to the left and right of the colum.

Once you have the cluster out move the white padding out of the way and you'll see the bottom of the clip going into the firewall clip holder.

It's not easy to get to but its easier than removing the whole top of the dash board.

Thanks. The next time I'm feeling motivated enough, I may go ahead and try to do that....:cool:

my warrenty is up in about 6K miles and I'm not sure I want to have the dealer try to fix this.

I can simply push down on the corner of my dash with my index finger to make the rattle stop. I must be able to wedge something in there to do the same thing. I need to find what works best...post its? haha. putty? plastic?

• 4 weeks later...

I have a rattle coming from my glovebox

the dash, on the drivers side, it will rattle like crazy when i first star the car up and drive then it goes away, its more of a thump sound

alos i have this gay rattle coming from somewhere by my ear on the pillar, cannot figure it out for the life of me!

Archived