LegacyGT.com

Fixed stupid dash rattle..

Deer Killer

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It worked for me. See post #40 above.

Where did you get these polypropylene disks? Lowes, home depot? Are these the disks you stick under furniture to make them slide easy on carpet? Just trying to figure out what section to find it in.

I tried a doubled up pieces of the soft side of velcro, but it wasn't thick enough and eventually fell through.

-S

Where did you get these polypropylene disks? Lowes, home depot? Are these the disks you stick under furniture to make them slide easy on carpet? Just trying to figure out what section to find it in.

I tried a doubled up pieces of the soft side of velcro, but it wasn't thick enough and eventually fell through.

-S

I happened to see them at Linnens n' Things and was going to use them to mod the overly sensative key fob buttons but they were to thick for that and had them sitting around on the workbench.

If you ask for cabinet door bumpers they should know what you're talking about.

• 1 month later...

Thank you to whoever created this post. My rattle is officially gone!!! I purchased an '05 LGT wagon about 3 months ago and have heard this rattle since new. It's been driving me crazy.

I did not end up using a dremel on the hole. I simply loosened the screw less than a quarter turn, allowing the dash to move slightly as needed. The plastic was cracked, proving it was over torqued. Either way, the rattle is gone. Now if I can find a way to get rid of the studder between 2-3K rpm.

Thanks again.

I don't have that rattle you guys are all talking about. I guess I lucked out. But I do have that Cubby/Vent rattle that a few people have. I usually put pressure on it or slap it (lol doesn't help). What was the tape on the dash thing that one guy said? Anyone else have that cubby/vent problem? My mirror makes a noise too, but I think it's from the wire cover thing for my homelink/compass mirror so whatever.

• 2 weeks later...

Why the hell this thread has not been stickied yet is beyond me... :confused:

Fixed my dash rattle according to the directions, worked great!!

Now to work on the Glove box rattle.

Then I have the rattle at the map lights to fix, then the one at the adjustable seatbelt anchor...

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the source of the rattle and will try to picturedocument

it tomorrow, it is not the screw everyone refers to, rather it's

directly under the dash hard of access ( must remove entire

dash ) :(

I saw the source of the rattle and will try to picturedocument

it tomorrow, it is not the screw everyone refers to, rather it's

directly under the dash hard of access ( must remove entire

dash ) :(

Anxiously awaiting!

pull da panel off:

http://www.pbase.com/frankcoti/image/62795820.jpg

zoom in:

http://www.pbase.com/frankcoti/image/62795836.jpg

the culprit:

http://www.pbase.com/frankcoti/image/62795856.jpg

if you press hard on the top of the dash and release quickly

to simulate a road bump you can actually hear the rattle and

see the whole thing happen before your eyes

I also had the infamous dash rattle. My dealer swore that it was the cluster, and for some reason, decided to replace the cluster lens and finishing ring. It made NO DIFFERENCE at all. As many have said, the entire dash was squeaking against the body. I decided to check the mounting myself, and as soon as I pulled off the end cap, I saw that the mounting screw tab was broken off.

Off to the dealer, who agreed to replace the dash. They had the car for two days (rental out of my pocket AGAIN). They did a great job of replacing the dash. No scratches, gaps, etc. Now the f**cking cluster ring rattles. At least it isn't as bad a the whole dash rattling. I will probably put double-sided tape on the cluster myself this weekend. :icon_mad:

-- Steve

96433989_dash002a.jpg.b77d0382cbbd134e46735707f2ff6ffa.jpg

another bump for good info .. when I removed the side panel, the piece of plastic surrounding said screw was cracked off completely, fell out when I loosened the screw (which was ridiculously torqued!). I ended up superglueing the plastic bit back in place, placing a washer behind the screwhead, and tightening it back down significantly less than the way the factory had it. We'll see if that fixes it.

Also, I lined the front lip of my armrest container with soft velcro, as it was rattling like crazy. Doing that seems to have solved that problem.

• 4 weeks later...
Thought I'd follow up on this. If you have the dash rattle that the above fix addresses be advised that there is a service bulletin from Subaru now covering it.

My car is in the shop for this fix. I had the bumper pad fix in there but that just annoyed me even though it worked.

Update: time to failure for subaru dash rattle fix: six months. Yay.

• 1 month later...
Took my car to the dealer to get the rattle fixed, and what do you know....the stupid dash rattle is gone. The service doc just says applied "body strip caulk." Thus far the noise is largely gone. Now I can hear other little rattles, but compared to before, its WAY better. I can even push on the dash by the A pillar and its hard as a rock (before it would flex and creak). Let's see if it holds up.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally decidede to bring mine to the dealer before my 36k mile warranty is up. They've had it for a week!! Supposed to get it back tomorrow, so I'll let you all know how it works out. Good thing is Subaru has a TSB on this so if anyone else is having this problem, bring it to your dealer. Subaru is required to cover loaner/rental car while it's being fixed.

Also getting new wiper blades and a front headlight bulb replaced for FREE. I know this is mentioned in other threads, but wipers and bulbs are replaced under warranty up to 36k miles.

Archived