LegacyGT.com

Yet another HID Kit Review: APEXCONE Raptor V2

alaskajoel

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm just saying what OEM parts cost. I'm not pedaling them or even running them. DDM is still a great option, but nothing compares to OEM.

Also DDM is getting out of the HID biz, so you might want to stock up on cheap replacements. Although they said they would be keeping a reserve of parts for warranty claims.

Why are the getting out of the HID biz? I got my DDM's in my car for 2 years now with no issues. So when one ballast goes I need to go witha different company? Thats a bummer.

Why are the getting out of the HID biz? I got my DDM's in my car for 2 years now with no issues. So when one ballast goes I need to go witha different company? Thats a bummer.

They are moving to LED stuff.

Start by disabling drl and installing harness.

I can try but neither of those should be the issue. DRL's on an '09 are the high beams, so they have no effect on the low HID's. And the car has plenty of power to run the HID's without adfingthe harness.

I can try but neither of those should be the issue. DRL's on an '09 are the high beams, so they have no effect on the low HID's. And the car has plenty of power to run the HID's without adfingthe harness.

Don't worry about disabling the DRLs unless you already wanted to do that.

I'd try the harness. The passenger side on these cars has a habit of current-related issues, which the harness will eliminate.

My bad, didn't realize 09 DRLs are on highbeam. But really, they sell the harness for a reason. I'm not saying it'll solve your problems, but it's definitely a good idea either way. The shit costs like $10...there is no good reason to not do it.

Update:

The issue is gone...and I did nothing to solve it. It's been so cold lately I haven't wanted to be out in the garage swapping bulbs and ballasts, so I just let it alone. I haven't seen a flicker since the first two days they were installed. I have no explanation as to why, but as of now, it seems to have fixed itself.

Well i am a little disappointed in these. ordered them with fed ex 3 day shipping and from the day they shipped out it took 4 days. they did not come with the wiring harness i had ordered, im assuming they are on backorder and will ship when they can. I have been unable to get a hold of them by phone or email. and i installed them without the harness today and drivers side stays on for 30 seconds and goes out. not what i was looking forward to.

ryu23- i was on the website yesterday and they were on there. in a previous post someone mentioned they are getting out of the hid business i think. the apexcone raptor is probably their best selling/fastest selling so they probably are not ordering anymore if that statement was true.

but incase anybody cares lol i finally got a hold of tech support and they were very helpful. everything will be expedited overnight because it was defective out of the box. just have to figure out if it was ballasts or bulbs.

Power is not the issue, wiring is. HIDs draw significantly more current on start-up than a halogen bulb. The start-up current is 30% higher than the normal 55W current. Trying to pull that much current through the stock wiring can result in a significant voltage drop and the HID failing to fully light.

The condition is worse on the right side, because the wire length is longer, leading to more voltage drop.

The solution is to use a larger gauge wire for the HIDs, ie: buy the harness.

• 9 months later...
Revive to an old thread. I just ordered the Raptor Apexcone 55w 6K kit from DDMtuning.com Will repost when they arrive and once I install.

Nice. I have the exact same specs (unless you got the slim ballasts). Had them for over a year now with zero issues.

i am using the harness for a ddm raptor 35w kit but i still get issues with passenger side not lighting at times. have to turn off the headlights then turn back on to fire both sides up. i might try a more expensive HID kit that don't use much current at startup such as the Volt HID kits XenonExpert sell.

Just go with a TRS one for like 150 bucks. Seriously worth it. My retro fires up every time no flicking lights, and is at FULL brightness in 2-3 seconds on a cold start. They're ballasts and bulbs are quality. Best kit short of OEM.
"This is an adventure."

Well it only took a couple of days to get the shipping confirmation from ddm. Now it says it is sitting in China and has been for several days. I guess they are drop shipping straight from the manufacturer. Probably the reason for the cost. I'll be patient.

Archived