LegacyGT.com

Cooling fan stuck on?

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good gawd thats ridiculas.....I drop mine off tomorrow, they said about 1.5 houres to replace ECM. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Yeah. Bloomington Subaru has really pissed me off. I was really tempted to take my loaner to Chicago just for the sake of piling unnecessary miles on it. :lol:

We'll see how things turn out today.

Just got it back from dealer, Cooling fan has not come on yet....After long drive, climate control use ect. I tried to force it to come, to test functionality, but it hasn't.

I also had the seat belt chime disable and expected it to return after the ECU was supposedly changed, but it is still disabled.

Anybody have the same experience?

Just got it back from dealer, Cooling fan has not come on yet....After long drive, climate control use ect. I tried to force it to come, to test functionality, but it hasn't.

I also had the seat belt chime disable and expected it to return after the ECU was supposedly changed, but it is still disabled.

Anybody have the same experience?

Seat belt is still disabled, alarm is still set to same functionality, trip computers were all the same as was the MPG computer. It's probably fine. I notice now that if I do hear the fan come on, it's only for a couple seconds at a time at a light.

1st Run: 05 Legacy GT 5 speed Limited Wagon.

I have replaced the clutch. 20k.

I burn through 1.5 qts oil every 4k miles.

I have replaced the ECU.

I have replaced the Relay.

AND THE DAMN FAN still stays on constantly...!!!

(it's pretty bad when the neighbor kid asks why my engine sounds so loud idling in the driveway)

I just heard back from my Subaru Advisor.

SOA has no idea how to fix this problem.

So...there is your answer guys.

*Subaru has no idea*

That makes me feel just great.

I have replaced the ECU.

(it's pretty bad when the neighbor kid asks why my engine sounds so loud idling in the driveway)

*Subaru has no idea*

Check some of the earlier posts in this thread. They may have replaced the ECU with an earlier version that does not incorporate the internal fix that was made by the manufacturer.

"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

Well, my fans are stuck on again, at least that's what my wife stated. Haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

This will be the 3rd ECU replacement, the last time was Sept of 05.

Anyone having anything different replaced besides these items?

Unit AY-EGI #22611AJ17C (1)

Relay AY 1M #82501AG05A (1)

Relay AY #82501FE010 (1)

isn't it considered lemon after 3 attempts to fix the same problem?

Only if it is in the first 12 months on a new car. It has to affect the safety or value of the car too. If you go in three times to have your wiper blades replaced under warranty then they aren't going to buy your car back. I seriously doubt the fan being on affects the safety or the value.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I have replaced the ECU.

*Subaru has no idea*

A new ECU fixed my problem (no new relays were required). I suspect the replacement ECU you received may not have been the newest version. My Dealership told me they were up to revision "D". That means there are at least three previous iterations out there. I would keep taking it back until they correct the issue.

It makes sense that only the ECU would need replacement. Relays are electromechanical devices which don't think for themselves...or at all for that matter. I'm scheduled for a service appointment next Wednesday, but my dealer claims to never have seen this problem before. I'm hoping they need to order a new ECU rather than have an old version on a shelf in the parts department. Are the ECUs marked in any way so you can tell which iteration has been installed?

Archived