LegacyGT.com

Cooling fan stuck on?

Brought my car in last week (Marino's, west end of Toronto) for oil change and 36000km service, told them about my stuck cooling fan. They ordered a relay and told me to come back for a quick replacement of it. Brought my car in this morning, they popped the new relay in and problem didn't go away. I talked w the tech and told them the ECU needs an upgrade. They claim to have never heard about this before, but will call the techline and get back to me. Let's hope they have ECUs in stock!

Update1: May 9, ECU at the dealers...this is the first one they ever did, some issues with reprogramming, etc. I waited for 2+ hours then had to go...sales mgr loaned me his Forester...that was 4 hours ago...who knows how long this will take?

Update2: May 10, 1.5 days later, RevD ECU installed and everything reprogrammed. I supplied dealer w links to all relavent threads here, esp. the Canadian ones...SOC is still playing way too dumb on this and wasting everybody's time.

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sad to say that i've joined the cooling fan club too. It hasn't been 24K miles and every time i put the A/C on, the fan kicks in and stays on untill the car gets turned off. If i turn the car on and use it with no A/C, then works like normal and the fan works well, but as soon as that A/C is touched, the fan stays on till the car is turned off. The whole car has given me occasional electric problems. My passenger seat chime started ringing for no appartent reason and had to be recalibrated (no..i didn't put any object or weight on it), my volume occasionally goes up/down by itself, and the radio has frozen to the point that any change in volume, station or anything else won't affect it, even the power button won't turn it off.

But back to the fan problem, its driving me nuts and i'm taking it in Thursday for them to look at. I'll keep you guys posted.

Just a reminder for everyone going in for an ECU replacement. Bring all your keys and get them flashed. I was leaving the dealership when I decided to test my extra and valet keys (which I brought with me and handed to the service writer to get them set up with the new ECU)...they didn't work. You don't want to find out the hard way, at a bad time, that you only have one key to the ignition.

OK great glad I checked this site on this. My Fan has been coming on. 60 F this morning it's on 10 minutes after driving.

I have 16K on my car. Also my radio controls are messed up my Fader controls the balance and VS. Anybody heard of this happening?

Scott

Got my 2nd ECU yesterday. No charge. For you SoCal owners, Dino at Sierra Subaru in Monrovia has been great about taking care of me on all of my warranty issues-- short-throw shifter, ECU, warped rotors. My first visit or two were a little dicey, but once I had a good talk with Dino, he has taken good care of me. I highly recommend Dino at Sierra Subaru in Monrovia.

Dang....

I thought "You know, it's getting hot outside, and the car knows what it needs better than I do..."

Then this morning, after the car has sat overnight with all of the accessories off (the A/C in particular), I turned the car to ACC to check the milage on this oil interval before a long trip, and the fans came on :(

Crap. You always figure it won't happen to you.

Just for fun, I tried my AP with the new RevD ECU...."Invalid ECU version" is the error I got. On the phone with Cobb (email has 5-7 day response time???), they confirm I have to send it in. I told them I'm in Canada, with shipping both ways, it'll cost me about US$80, another US$40 if I have to brokerage fees...asked if there was ANY way that I could do the upgrade myself or if there was a Canadian service depot I could use. Nope...gotta send it in.

That sucks...I mean, we can download new maps from the intarweb, but the AP's firmware cannot be upgraded by endusers???? For $80-$120, I could have got some pretty good earmuffs and not had to listen to the cooling fan! :-(

My car's in the shop getting it's brains swapped as we speak. Almost forgot to unmarry my AP before I took it in! I hope that this clears up the fan problem, fixes a few other performance issues, and that my AP will be able to work with the new ECU.

I hope that this clears up the fan problem, fixes a few other performance issues, and that my AP will be able to work with the new ECU.

My AP was v1.0...it shows the firmware version when you first connect it to the OBD port. They told me 1.0 does not support RevD ECUs...:icon_mad:

Car defiantly runs better. I know that when the fans got stuck on, the car thought that it was overheating all the time. I wonder if its not a faulty sensor or maybe the sensor input on the ecu. As a result, I think the car was slow, hesitated at times, and got bad gas mileage.

I'll try my AP tonight and see if it works.

How do I check what version of the ECU I have? Is it written on the kickplate or something?

I just checked my spare keys and neither one of them work. The car won't turn over. I'm going to have to take them in so they can do whatever they do to make em work. They never even mentioned that I should have my other keys reflashed after this change. hmmmm.... Bastards. :D

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Feel free. I'll send you the full size version of the scan if you want me to. FWIW my car has a build date of 11-04-2004. I don't know if that affects the version. You can give them my VIN if that helps any. I doubt there is much on that form that they wouldn't be able to find out with my VIN anyway. ;)

So I'm in again talking to my dealer about the Gap Fix (see my sig) and I brought up the C vs. D versions. You tell me what you think:

me: So here's a Nate Wade subaru R/O that shows a D version being put in in March and I got a C version in April...

D: Hmmm... let me go look into that. I'll be right back. (Goes to the back room)

D: Ok. It looks like when C ran out of stock they released D. So basically, Nate Wade ran out of C's and ordered D's. We still had a C and put it in your car. As far as I can tell, there's no difference. When I plug in your vin and try to order another, it comes up as D now and we have no C's in stock. So as far as I can tell it was just the next batch produced.

This guy has been straight with me (even ordered a part unseen to fix my dash gap cause I brought in the part number and gave him 2 dealers who had fixed it that way) so I feel that he's telling me the truth. Thoughts? :confused:

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

How do I check what version of the ECU I have? Is it written on the kickplate or something?

It should be listed on your dealer's work order/invoice: a revD ECU shows as 22611AJ17D...last letter should correspond w ECU revision.

I had my ECU replaced with a version D. My AP would not recognize it. Had it sent back to COBB and they re-programed it. They were under the impression that I didnt divorce it when I toke the car in.....but I'm certain I did.

Subaru doesn't change the part number unless there is something different about it. There has to be more to it than that. There are so many reasons why that explanation doesn't make sense...

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Car defiantly runs better. I know that when the fans got stuck on, the car thought that it was overheating all the time. I wonder if its not a faulty sensor or maybe the sensor input on the ecu. As a result, I think the car was slow, hesitated at times, and got bad gas mileage.

Hmmm. I had myself convinced that the fan problem was just an anoyance. Does anyone else besides Captainmorgan feel that there is a performance and/or mileage impact?

I had my ECU replaced with a version D. My AP would not recognize it. Had it sent back to COBB and they re-programed it. They were under the impression that I didnt divorce it when I toke the car in.....but I'm certain I did.

The guy at Cobb I spoke with said they've received 6 APs for upgrade, and only one of them unmarried...

After about a month with a new ecm to fix the cooling fan problem I would have to say the car drives 100% better. No more studder, boost comes on stronger and earlier, and car drives much smoother. It is so much different in my opinion that SOA should offer ecm updates to owners like Mazda did with the RX-8.

Archived