LegacyGT.com

Cooling fan stuck on?

Ok guys...sorry for the questions if they have already been answered in the prior 50 pages :lol:

I've noticed my fan running more recently and seems to be louder. Now I don't know if it's just because were entering warmer weather and I'm not used to it or what.

Anyway, AP stg 1 since october, no issues. Turn the car on...fine, no fan. Once car gets a bit warm...a few minutes fan come on (normal) but it seems to run and run and run. I didn't notice it running like this before. I did notice that my coolent was low, but I filled it the other week. What gives? Fan relay? Doubt it's ECU related now...anyone? Thermostat? Should I be driving?:confused:

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read some more. :icon_bigg

wow, a lot of people have this issue....why are so many so lucky?

seems everyone that has it go away has to do a new ECU (22611AJ17D)? Is this an '06 model ECU or '05?

has anyone had success with just the relays?

this is the post with my invoice scanned. Take that to your dealership and tell them to do the same thing. They can call my dealership if they have an issue. Nate Wade has apparantly done this for more than one LGT. They seemed pretty familiar with the problem.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I know it works for the v1.15...or whatever the latest map is.

However I must add that after the fan fix my AP "did not recognize" the new "D" ECU. I had to send it to COBB to have the AP re-set, for lack of a better word.

I got the impression from COBB that they were not aware of the fan problem on these cars and that I simply messed up the divorcing process some how. Now I could have, mind you, but I followed the process to the letter.

Regardless, AP and new ECU are happy together.

Just got the LGT back from the dealership. They replaced the ECU with a 'D' revision, and the cooling fan issue has gone bye bye, at least for now.

Just sent my AP back to Cobb to have the firmware upgraded. I spoke with Justin, and they seem to be aware of the problem.

John

Ok,Tested my car yesterday. Maybe I don't have the problem or its early stages? Take a look.....

Before leaving work I let the car idle for 5 minutes....no fan (75 degrees outside). Also, turned AC on and off three times. Drove out to the stop light (7min)....no fan. 16mins.....stop light after being in beltway traffic 20-65mph....fan on....temp normal halfway mark. Seems normal to me that the fan would come on. 10min. Cool down while in Walmart. Start up...no fan...temp at halfway mark. 3min....stop light...fan on. 6min....home....park....fan on. Hmmmm, I may not have the problem I thought?

What does everyone think? It just seems louder or something....maybe I'm nutts or the car is trying to make me nutts.

• 4 weeks later...
Have noticed that my fan is becoming hyperactive, turning on well before the engine has fully warmed up, and taking forever to shut down. Surprising that Subaru still does not have a definite, permanent fix for this defect.

well, I'm concerned right now. When I start my car, fan is off (normal). As soon as it turns on, it stays on untill I shut the car off. Leave a car for like 1/2 -1 hr and start the car, same story. No fan, then as soon as it turns on it stays on until I shut the car off. I think I have the same problem, just reacts differently. Maybe in couple of weeks it'll start doing it like the rest of you guys. And yes, it gets really loud + I don't use A/C that much, only on highway.

I had problem and got a new ECU installed. Now it acts weird when A/C is on. Loud fan noise happens right away when I turn on A/C and goes away in a few seconds. Seems like it cycles on and off every several minutes. It's hard to tell what it does while driving because I can't feel or hear it, but it never acted like this with original ECU. At least it doesn't continually stay on. Anybody else experience this.

Another way to know you have the problem is if you do a Datalog, you'll notice on the bottom half (switches and sensors) the two fans. You'll see the AC one go on and of ( 0 - 1 ) and the other (main) will be on full blast but show off ( 0 ) on the display. So, it's on and the ECU don't show it.

They replaced my ecu and fan relay and now the car is running great. I discovered that none of my other keys work which i verified on this forum and am surprised the dealership didn't inform me of. I already switched back to my TDC protune on the AP, if i take it to the dealership can they still make my other keys work or do i need to flash it back to stock?

Yup, they only reprogrammed one of my keys as well. I have not reloaded the AP yet because I'm taking the car back Monday to get the other keys taken care of as well as some motor mounts replaced. The car has been running like a champ though and no more fan issue since the replaced ecm and relays.

Thanks guys! Took my car in this morning for the re-diagnosis, and thanks to OCD's work-order, they knew where to look for the fix. So, they ordered the relays and Series D by 9:30am.

Best part is Marin now has a loaner program. So instead of having to deal with the "kids" at Enterprise, I have an '06 OB for the next couple of days.

Took my 05LGT in today to fix the stuck on cooling fan and a sill plate that came loose.When I started the car to leave I noticed the mechanic had left the a/c on and sure enough the cooling fan came on even though the temp gauge showed that the car was still cold.Back I went inside to say the problem was not fixed.The mechanic who worked on my car was surprised that it was not fixed and after talking to I think the service manager the mechanic was informed that Subaru Canada had sent out a email stating to also change the ecu along with the relay.Luckily they had another ecu instock to replace mine which was ordered for another customer who was not going to be in for a few days and they could get another one by that time.So all is good so far .What I learned is the relay screws up the ecu so only replacing the relay is not going to work as the ecu is screw from the first relay and has to be replaced.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived