LegacyGT.com

Cooling fan stuck on?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has anyone had this problem fixed by replacing the relay, only? I've been running with the stuck fan for 30K miles and just now got an URGENT recall notice. I called the dealer and they said they'd try a relay, and if that didn't work, they'd order an ECU.

Has anyone had this problem fixed by replacing the relay, only? I've been running with the stuck fan for 30K miles and just now got an URGENT recall notice. I called the dealer and they said they'd try a relay, and if that didn't work, they'd order an ECU.

You are going to need a new ECU if the fan is already stuck ON. Relay itself will not fix the problem.

It all depends... I had both replaced the first time some time ago since I had the fan running for some time. I went in again when this came out to ask if this was an updated thing with all new parts. They said only the realy had been updated so I got a second new relay just to be safe.
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

I haven't looked at the part-numbers since the "recall" notice came out initially, but from what I remember of reading the detailed recall notice on TheL7, the "recall" relay carries the same part-number as the one that went out on the original TSB. If you got one to replace your relay back-then, you don't need a new one.

LegGTLT, would you by any chance have a part-number for the relay that your car was originally replaced with? It would be interesting to see indeed if that was one that was revised, which, of course, didn't happen until later (i.e. your car could have gotten the original, problematic relay with your original fix).

^^^Plus, doesnt it begin to fry the ECU; which is why they should be replaced at the same time. Either way, both need to be replaced.

No, not true.

You'll only need your ECU replaced if your relay's already tripped the "fan constant on" (i.e. what Kaptan cited - if your fan's stuck-on already") issue.

Otherwise, your ECU is fine, and like LegGTLT cited, and it will not be replaced - read the SPB, it says that in black-and-white. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Update -

Re-read the original TSB for the relay and matched it to the Recall Notice (SPB).

The replacement (i.e. "good") relay's part numbers are identical.

:)

--------------

Still doesn't settle your previous situation, though, bruddah LegGTLT :( ....would you have happened to have saved your service receipt?

I did note that the original TSB was put out in late September, 2006. When was your relay and ECU replaced?

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Ah, I see - it looks like LegGTLT posted his before you had a chance to respond, which is why I was confused. :)

What up TSi! Doesn't seem like I see you as much on here anymore. :iam::lol:

When I had mine replaced originally, it was all done under warranty. :D No problems here, I think it was someone else who actually paid, maybe mccorry? I seem to have good luck with my dealer on accepting warranty claims. They get paid, I stay happy and keep coming back to them. :p

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Gotcha, thanks for the info., bruddah. :)

---

Yep, I'm not on here as much any more as I've been really busy with work.....and I've had to shunt my time to pursuing speed-enforcement countermeasures, since my previous laser jammer gave-up-the-ghost a few months ago (now refurbished). :)

its a recall from SOA. take your car to the dealer. they will check the radiator fan relay#2 and replace if necessary. they will also check the ECM. if it is bad they will order one and SOA will pay for a rental for one day.

Just got a recall notice reguarding this issue. They will replace the fan relay at no cost and check the ECU. Don't forget to unmarry your AP's!
Also don't forget to bring all of your ignition keys and the keycode tag.

Well, I'm on my 3rd ECM now. Subaru replaced the original one last summer, but didn't replace the relay. I started having 'odd' cooling fan issues in January, but the dealer insisted it was normal operation. Like a cooling fan should run at 32 degrees ambient when the car is cold...But it finally failed with the fan running continuously, and the dealer replaced it under the recall.

Hope this one lasts longer than a year....

John

• 4 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Sorry for the necro bump, figured this was more appropriate in this thread and not the other all of the time running threads.

On my 05 LGT the fans don't always run, but they do run more then they should (much more then my 04 FXT).

They seem to run when temps are below 40*F, and will continue running until I warm up the car to 170*ish, turn off the car wait 5 seconds and restart (which turns the fans off).

If I start the car with AC on, then turn ac off, fans will run until I turn off the car, wait and restart.

Using Romraider I check the FAN flags and they show up as not running, similar to what Leonardo mentioned below.

Another test I did is pulled the relays one at a time and started the car while it was cold (around 40*F), fans still kicked on. To me it seems like there an electrical short somewhere in the system...

Another way to know you have the problem is if you do a Datalog, you'll notice on the bottom half (switches and sensors) the two fans. You'll see the AC one go on and of ( 0 - 1 ) and the other (main) will be on full blast but show off ( 0 ) on the display. So, it's on and the ECU don't show it.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Did you remove both replays and start the car when it was cold ? I think you have bad relays.

Of course, I'm guessing.

Can you borrow someone's relays who has the engine out currently, so you can try them and see if anything changes...worst case is you screw up there relays too. ;)

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Sadly I don't remember if I tried with them both out :(. Also sadly it's not cold enough for me to be able to reproduce it from cold starting. It does get stuck on if I turn the car on with AC, but as soon as I turn off the car to remove relays it would be off anyway.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Ok so ive been reading on this, but im still not sure.. should a dealership cover the costs of this issue or is it at my expense?? called dealership and they said "its my responsibility, we only cover recalls, or if its under warranty; not tsb's"

Archived